Reload this Page >

New Family Guy DVD / Series News

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FAMILY GUY May Get a Movie, At Least on DVD
Posted on Wednesday, June 04 @ 08:35:50 EDT by Ajax (78 reads)

THE FAMILY GUY creator Seth MacFarlane may make a new feature-length FAMILY GUY DVD movie.

Dark Horizons had the details:

Bikkit reports that the cancelled FOX adult animated comedy could be making a comeback. The three-season long show ran on Fox from 1999-2001 but was pulled due to low ratings which weren't helped by an unstable airing schedule - since then however the studio has been very impressed with both the first wave of DVD sales and Cartoon Network re-run ratings, so much so that a direct-to-DVD feature-length new movie is being considered by creator Seth MacFarlane. Seth told Variety that "It's certainly some vindication and a sign that the show is as popular as we always suspected. Fox certainly gave the show more of a chance than a lot of shows would've gotten, and we're indebted to Gail [Berman, Fox Entertainment Chief] for the fact that we even got a third season. But it's also frustrating for everyone who worked on the show. We all felt it was killed before its time". Fox will release a second batch of episodes on disc later this Fall.

This should be GREAT news for those of you fans out there. I know the DVD set has sold exceptionally well at my Borders and nationwide.
Old 06-04-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to go folks! Support censored material!!
Old 06-04-03, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Class316
Yeah! Everyone should just act like the cool kids and download them off the internet. That would have really helped the show!!!

Glad to hear that Family Guy may not be dead, I just got into it because of the tainted DVD set.
Old 06-04-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AXP 103
Yeah! Everyone should just act like the cool kids and download them off the internet. That would have really helped the show!!!

Glad to hear that Family Guy may not be dead, I just got into it because of the tainted DVD set.
Sorry, but I refuse to have censored [legal] DVDs on my shelf. DVDs are supposed to be free from the burden of TV and be fully intact!! The only exception is the Vista Who Framed Roger Rabbit DVD which I found at a good price. And I probably wouldn’t have gotten it if the finger scene were not mostly intact (and also available in the trailer).
Old 06-04-03, 12:22 PM

uhhh, if you cared about the series, you would use the DVD purchase to make that statement to the studio. how are you helping the NUMBERS (the only things that matter in TV and movies) by downloading eps? i guess maybe you taped them when they aired, but then you have crap VHS quality.
Old 06-04-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I still don't consider it censoring when it was the creator's own motive for changing his work.
Old 06-04-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's hopeless to argue with him, trust me.
Old 06-04-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a pretty anal and goofy collector but I'm not to the point that Class316 is at.
You just have to suck it up at times and deal with it. IF you ever want quality episodes with extras you'll have to climb down from that soapbox and head on into the store to purchase the DVDs.

The creators can do what they want with their projects even if the public hates it.

I agree with what Joss Whedon has done.
I disagree with George Lucas and his changes ( but I'll still buy the DVDs. )
and I can live with what Seth MacFarlane has done.

and if they make a direct to DVD feature I'm hoping it uncensored and pushes the limits.
Old 06-04-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is great news. I only hope the movie does not flop, but again it is Family Guy so it is free from mediocrity .
Old 06-04-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Class316
This set proudly has a spot on the top of my DVD shelf. If you're referring to the OBL bit that was cut out, your statement is totally ridiculous [almost as ridiculous as trying to charge $50 for a SOtS bootleg DVD...but I digress].

The removal of this scene was Seth's decision, not FOX's. It initially bothered the purist "I want everything the way the director/creator originally released it" in me, but I can understand why he did what he did and I don't have a problem with it.

'Sides..if I really wanted it that bad, i'm sure the good people at the Family Guy USEnet NG could help..because NOT buying it and crying CENSORSHIP on public forums like this certainly won't help get us more eps..
Old 06-04-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Wow! I never suspected such a debate would occur when I posted this.

My opinions on this matter reflect / mirror those posted by Rogue588 and MasterofDVD.

I can understand Class316's POV however and it is certainly his right to collect or not collect those items which are not "100% pure / unadulterated".

I really was just happy to let those thousands of Family Guy fans know that one of their favourite shows still has life left in it.

>>>
Old 06-04-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Duodenum
uhhh, if you cared about the series, you would use the DVD purchase to make that statement to the studio. how are you helping the NUMBERS (the only things that matter in TV and movies) by downloading eps? i guess maybe you taped them when they aired, but then you have crap VHS quality.
I hate VHS

Originally posted by fumanstan
I still don't consider it censoring when it was the creator's own motive for changing his work.
Regardless of the opinion “if the creator did it, it’s not censorship”, in the case of Family Guy it's NOT the creator that censored the episodes. It's Fox!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/seth.cfm

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
and I can live with what Seth MacFarlane has done.
It is NOT him that did it!!

Originally posted by Rogue588
The removal of this scene was Seth's decision, not FOX's.
FALSE!

Last edited by Class316; 06-04-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And for those of you still reading (as opposed to debating), The Family Guy Volume 2 has been announced for 9/9/03 with a $49.98 list price.
Old 06-04-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
[obligatory]It's not censorship, it is editing.[/obligatory]

[obligatory #2]We have a thread on this in TV Talk: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=296634[/obligatory #2]

Think that covers all the bases for this thread.
Old 06-04-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.

Now, you were almost involved in that whole tragedy...

Yeah, that came up at one point. I said, "Look, I'm probably as close to that incident as anybody at Fox." There was one point where I was arguing to keep that scene in. Yeah, I was booked on that flight and I was drinking the night before and hung over and I missed the plane by about 10 minutes. It was a very close call for me.
I stand [somewhat] corrected. Yet, vindicated..
So how could the fans show support for Family Guy reappearing?

The best thing they can do is buy the DVD set. Those are the hardest, more accurate numbers. It'll be a hell of a lot more revealing than Nielson ratings.

They can buy two!

Yeah, they can buy two, or three or four. If this thing sells through the roof it'll open a lot of doors.
Old 06-04-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm done fighting and dealing with people who bring this crap up in EVERY Family Guy thread.

I really can't wait to get this show. Never saw it on TV but I've watched the DVDs like mad and they have easily become my most rented out DVDs ever.
Old 06-04-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I myself am definetly ready for ANYTHING new in terms of Family Guy. I watched it on TV when it aired and on the new DVD set all the time. to Seth.
Old 06-04-03, 03:25 PM

Oooh - a whole 20 seconds gone from the show. Big deal. I'd rather have 7 hours of pleasure (missing 45 seconds) vs not getting the 7 hours of pleasure because I skipped out. Either way, it's not going to bring the missing 45 seconds back right?
Old 06-04-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
I'm done fighting and dealing with people who bring this crap up in EVERY Family Guy thread.
Word. Enough already.

As for this news, it's most definitely welcomed with open arms... FG was my favorite show until the bozos at Fox decided to sink it.
Old 06-04-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Family Guy movie.......... wow...... I really hope this happens. I think i'd prefer a direct-to-DVD release instead of a theatrical.
Old 06-04-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Think of all the jokes they could make in an "R-rated" version of the Family Guy movie!
Old 06-04-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R-rated? Screw that man, I want either NC-17, or dare I hope... XXX!
Old 06-04-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Family Guy as a blind buy. I had never seen a single episode...EVER. I am on Disk 2 and so far I am completely satisfied!! This show has so much wit and sick jokes that it's on another level!

My wife and I love it! Bring on the rest!
Old 06-04-03, 08:44 PM

I hope this does happen . Im really excited about this.
Old 06-04-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh man this is the best news I've heard in a while. Family Guy has become part of my nightly routine. I watch 2 episodes every night before i go to bed. I makes the day seems a little less lousy when Peter is making fun of handicapped people.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.