Community
Search

DVD's at the Supermarkets...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
DVD's at the Supermarkets...

What gives? I saw "ABOUT SCHMIDT" in RALPH'S Super market (here in So Cal) and although it seemed to have all the things that make dvd great, Widescreen, DTS, and extras galore, the package seemed cheap looking. Almost like well done copy.

Are these "licensed low end copies"?
Old 06-04-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here in Virginia, I've seen them at Giant Supermarket, CVS Pharmacy, and the list goes on. However, they only have a few of the "popular" titles and they are priced a little higher than your local Best Buy, Circuit City.

Those that I saw are original legit copies.
Old 06-04-03, 07:05 AM

Here in MD I've seen them in gas stations as well and the prices are normally $22.99 for new releases. No thanks, I'll buy them at Target or Best Buy.
Old 06-04-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Safeway stores here carry DVDs, they have a locked little bin by the magazines. Mostly big releases and kids type movies. Used to be VHS but 6 mos ago made the switch to all DVD. First week of release is usually $19.99, and then up to whatever the MSRP price is.

Occasionally Safeway and QFC will have a stand up display for a 'huge' movie. No, they didn't have one for Harry Potter or any of the Star Wars flicks. The last 'huge' movie I remember a display for was Scooby Doo.
Old 06-04-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"licensed low end copies"?

I don't see a reason why they would sell a different version.
Old 06-04-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My supermarket has a big selection of dvds. They are all overpriced. They also sell cds and video games.
Old 06-04-03, 12:36 PM

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day and saw they were selling cds for $18.99!!! Needless to say they had MANY of them.
Old 06-04-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I noticed about a half dozen at QFC last night, all at registers (for impulse purchase), relatively high-priced ($20 - $23), all widescreen (which is great, at first they only had one movie, and it was FS). I knew the prices were too high, but Catch Me If You Can was calling to me (I resisted).
Old 06-04-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah they got them here too. look perfectly normal to me but overpriced. of course being on this forum, anything in a store looks overpriced.

its amazing people still pay MSRP for dvds. its more shocking that people actually shop at suncoast and crap like that when its cheaper at bestbuy.
Old 06-04-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont understand that either... when DVD first came out in 97/98 I went to Suncoast a few times but never again. They keep alot of stuff at the MSRP even if there is a price reduc. I got some movies at BB for 7.99-9.99 when they were 19.99 at Suncoast. The only reason I got to suncoast once in a while is for Action Figures.
Old 06-04-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll buy a dvd from wherever....if I need it. usually a supermarket or drugstore is out because most new films are crap and I dont want them anyway. as for price.....If I pay full price for a dvd.....so? if I dont make enough $ for full priced dvds...then I shouldnt be buying them anyway. I make anywhere from one to 300 bucks in tips every week so it's really no concern. I'll order many titles from Borders...even though they cost more than at say, Best Buy. but I recieve outstanding service at Borders....crap service from BB....so thanks, but I'll pay for proper service over the other, any day of the week. I have about 3 retail stores and 5 on-line sites that I buy from...however the price is never, ever my focus. just keep the damn dvds coming...thats all I ask.

btw, buying only 3 dvds this week was a record for me I think. I needed the rest for my baby Rotty!!!!
Old 06-04-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is no such thing as "licensed low end copies."
Old 06-05-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Mazinger
"licensed low end copies"?

I don't see a reason why they would sell a different version.

The packaging sometimes looks very cheap and I guess this is what throws me off.
Old 06-05-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I dont understand that either... when DVD first came out in 97/98 I went to Suncoast a few times but never again. They keep alot of stuff at the MSRP even if there is a price reduc. I got some movies at BB for 7.99-9.99 when they were 19.99 at Suncoast. The only reason I got to suncoast once in a while is for Action Figures.
I always thought SUNCOAST was high priced due to high rent?

I heard Malls charge stores a grip to be in them.
Old 06-05-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DavidH
There is no such thing as "licensed low end copies."
isn't that what they sell at the cd and record clubs? 20 cd's for a quarter? Come on...
Old 06-05-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My local Kroger sells DVD's now, at high prices, and full screen only.
Old 06-05-03, 01:13 AM

Wegmans recently got in a bunch of Warner cheapies with some goodies mixed in for 6.99 (Good finds would be Vacation, Dumb and Dumber, American History X, among others), and always has the "hot" new releases for sale, usually between 16.99 and 19.99.
Old 06-05-03, 01:21 AM

Milk, Bread, Eggs, Boondock Saints :lol

~Sam C.
Old 06-05-03, 07:08 AM

About Schmidt

Just to say, part of what started this thread was the appearance of "About Schmidt" in "low end" packaging. Well, that's probably because the package for the disc looks pretty low end. Or, more accurately, it looks like an average package from a few years ago.

Good thing I bought it though. I can pop in the disc and forget about the box

On a sidenote: the package may be unremarkable, but in a thoughtful tie-in they include a pre-paid envelope to ChildReach that says "Meet the Real Ndugu".
Old 06-05-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of large chains carry bigger titles, and usually at a little under MSRP. Usually, they are 1.33:1. I've even seen Spider-Man at Thornton's Gas STation.
Old 06-05-03, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

Is it possible the packaging wasn't the original. At the local cub foods they sell DVD's but sometimes they make copies of the cases and art and don't put the discs in them. They do this to prevent shoplifting. Just a thought.
Old 06-05-03, 11:34 AM

Here in Ottawa, Ontario Canada, one of the local supermarket chains was selling Rush Hour 2 for like $9.95 CDN, and FOTR: Original for $17.98. Too bad I already have those.
Old 06-05-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
If I pay full price for a dvd.....so? if I dont make enough $ for full priced dvds...then I shouldnt be buying them anyway.
You're a better man than I am. I actually feel bad if I buy something then see it for a cheaper price. I actually had to stop myself from buying a second copy of Talk to Her, then returning it where I bought the first one (driving probably 20 miles total, and wasting all that time) to save a lousy buck.

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-05-03 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I'll order many titles from Borders...even though they cost more than at say, Best Buy. but I recieve outstanding service at Borders....crap service from BB....so thanks, but I'll pay for proper service over the other, any day of the week.
Me too, I'd rather pay the extra $4 and be in a nice environment than get hassled to buy an extended warranty on my disc.
Old 06-05-03, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Ginwen
You're a better man than I am. I actually feel bad if I buy something then see it for a cheaper price. I actually had to stop myself from buying a second copy of Talk to Her, then returning it where I bought the first one (driving probably 20 miles total, and wasting all that time) to save a lousy buck.
I am the same way as you...