Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Animatrix parental warning, helpfull or pointless?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Is the content discription too much?
No, it perfect for curious parents
61.11%
yes its a bit much
13.89%
I don't care what it says
25.00%
other.
0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you can't read it due to poor imaging it says
"Parental warning: Not intended for younger viewers. This animated program is based on the R rated motion picture "the Matrix". It contains violent images and mature themes that parents may not find sutible for viewers under the age of 17. (isn't that a bit strong) and that may be particularly disturbing to younger viewers including intense and graphic images of violence, brief adult language, and themes and images of an apparent teen suicide. Parental discresion is strongly advised"

I personaly think its a bit much of a warning. Granted I haven't seen all of the shorts yet, but I think warner went a little far with this one.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 06-02-03 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watch the Second Rennaisance and you'll see why.
Old 06-02-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Animatrix parental warning, helpfull or pointless?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I personaly think its a bit much of a warning. Granted I haven't seen all of the shorts yet, but I think warner went a little far with this one.
Believe me, there is probably some parent out there, who if they didn't see a warning on there, and picked it up for their kid because its animated, that parent would be screaming holy hell.
Old 06-02-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see what's "pointless" about it. It's better for Warner to give fair warning than to have angry parents.

Anyway, you're 18 now, aren't you Rypro? Your parents should have no objections.
Old 06-02-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by caiman
I don't see what's "pointless" about it. It's better for Warner to give fair warning than to have angry parents.

Anyway, you're 18 now, aren't you Rypro? Your parents should have no objections.
Well yeah, but having never seen any of the shorts, I guess, I'll have to wait. (is this teen suicide thing disturbing since thats one thing that can get to me, so I was just wondering on that one)
Old 06-02-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure it's a way to protect the studios from lawsuits since lawyers have been using the "Matrix defense" (e.g. blaming a particular movie for violent behavior) in recent murder cases.
Old 06-02-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything has to have a label on it. I am just surprised that it doesn't have a label saying "Throwing DVDs like frisbees could lead to putting an eye out kid."
Old 06-03-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it does feature animated gore and brief nudity... dont know about language.
Old 06-03-03, 12:35 AM

It's not pointless. A lot of people are just clueless when it comes to animation. They think if it's a 'cartoon' it must be okay for the kids to watch. This sort of thinking leads to things like Wal-Mart shelving Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (a very dark, bloody and violent anime title) in the 'Family' section of the DVDs -something I actually saw at my local Wal-Mart.
Old 06-03-03, 12:50 AM
Suspended

The message and images in The Second Rennaisance Part 1 and 2 are more than enough to give it a R rating. The Parental Warning is justified. It's always better to put a warning out in full view than having some over protective parents who are sue happy.
Old 06-03-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The other shorts contain some graphic stuff.

Kid's story doesn't contain much of a "suicide scene" but it does boarder that.

Matriculated is pretty graphic and is a sort of acid trip if you ask me. contains plenty gore and I assume you could call it nudity in a VR type sense. In short, this warning label is not pointless. it offers some help to the parents. that's always decent to cover your arse from a lawsuit.

The stripping in the final flight of the osris alone warrents atleast a warning to parents about it all.

Last edited by hotaru_san; 06-03-03 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-03-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a parent with a very curious 4 year old son, I'm glad they have this warning. I wasn't sure just how intense this would be (although I assumed it wouldn't exactly be kiddy material), and now I know for sure that this will be one for a late night viewing.

If I didn't have kids I probaly wouldn't care so much, but now I applaud labeling like this.
Old 06-03-03, 06:19 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Matrix toys (which are for sale at toys r us) say on them "Recommened for the Mature Collector" and "Not for children under 17"
Partly due toa big bruhaha over the fact that there are action figures for r rated movies and m rated video games, some parents would rather censor the world then actually do some parenting but i digress
Old 06-03-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
That's what we get for living in a "protect me because I'm a dumbass parent" world.
Old 06-03-03, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
That's what we get for living in a "protect me because I'm a dumbass parent" world.
So parents are dumb for not knowing the exact content of the Animatrix DVD?
Old 06-03-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jarofclay73
I'm sure it's a way to protect the studios from lawsuits since lawyers have been using the "Matrix defense" (e.g. blaming a particular movie for violent behavior) in recent murder cases.
eggsactly!
Old 06-03-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by duz
The Matrix toys (which are for sale at toys r us) say on them "Recommened for the Mature Collector" and "Not for children under 17"
Partly due toa big bruhaha over the fact that there are action figures for r rated movies and m rated video games, some parents would rather censor the world then actually do some parenting but i digress
Th games are actually rated teen
Old 06-03-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's just a bit of an overrstatement, don't you think? It's a warning on the package, a sharing of info. It's not like the film has been censored or banned.
Old 06-03-03, 10:04 AM

More like, "We've got to cover our own asses because of the dumbass, lawsuit-crazy Americans."
Old 06-03-03, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Morf
More like, "We've got to cover our own asses because of the dumbass, lawsuit-crazy Americans."
Yeah I think that's a better statement. Although DVD Polizei said it pretty well too. The logic applies to more than just this DVD.
Old 06-03-03, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by caiman
So parents are dumb for not knowing the exact content of the Animatrix DVD?
No, the parents are dumb for instantly assuming that a cartoon is suitable for kids. The parents are dumb for not doing a little research on the subject matter before plopping it in the DVD player.

Dude, it says it right there in the title ANIME-matrix. Anime=not always suitable for kids. (Of course often to most US citizens, anime=pokemon` and ninja samurai demon tentacle schoolgirl rape cartoons)
Old 06-03-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THis will definily make kids want it more when they read that. It would have made me want ti more
Old 06-03-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to sound redundant to what was already said, but the text is there for American parents because most of them equate "cartoons" and "animation" with "kids" or "family friendly". WB is just covering their butts.

EDIT: But having said that, Anime usually has suitability ratings so this is nothing new to regular Anime watchers.

Last edited by darqleo; 06-03-03 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-03-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What darqleo said. People are undoubtedly going to pick this up for their children without having any idea what it is and thinking it's going to be suitable for them just because it's animation. Their covering their butts, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-03-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's no different than the warnings that Cartoon Network puts on before "Adult Swim" or Comedy Central puts on before "South Park" or MTV put on before "Beavis and Butthead"...

It's just a heads-up to the ignorant parents out there that think that 'animated' automatically equals 'OK for kids'. The warning doesn't do any harm and may actually prevent a careless parent from picking this up for a 6-year-old instead of Jungle Book 2.

It's a good call, in my book. Especially for a DVD that is seeing such a wide release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.