Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Which of the Hammer horror DVD do you like best?

Old 06-02-03, 09:27 AM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like "Quatermass and the Pit" for it has a good storyline, that I have liked it since I was a kid. A flipper that has multiple trailers and a featurette about Hammer horror by Oliver Reed. At the very end of the production companies on the DVD, it's says to turn over to side B. I have a Sony CX-875 changer which has a flip button, which turns the disc 180 and reinserts it to see the other side.

P.S. The USA "5 Million Years to Earth" isn't on disc, but I can't tell them apart from the Vhs I have.

What your favorite (s)?

Last edited by danol; 06-02-03 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-02-03, 10:23 AM

Favorite movie: HORROR OF DRACULA, hands-down.

Favorite DVD: SCARS OF DRACULA. Not a great film by any stretch, but a terrific DVD. Amazing transfer, tons of bonus stuff including a full-length Christopher Lee documentary on a separate disc. If only Warner would put this kind of care into THEIR Hammer titles.
Old 06-02-03, 11:45 AM
Rest in Peace

OH I agree with that one, I seen Quatermass and the Pit last night. Tonights movie may be the one you just talked about, I have to see what mood I am in.
Old 06-02-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Lost Continent
The Devil Rides Out
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Blood From the Mummys Tomb

...because they were all childhood favs.
Old 06-02-03, 06:53 PM
Rest in Peace

GW I have "The Devil Rides Out" Soundtrack on CD, in remastered Dolby Surround rom Silva Screen Records of NYC, NY.
Old 06-02-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by danol
GW I have "The Devil Rides Out" Soundtrack on CD, in remastered Dolby Surround rom Silva Screen Records of NYC, NY.
Old 06-02-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires is my favorite.I don't care what the critics say-karate and vampires do go together especially when The Shaw Bros. and Hammer is involved.Peter Cushing in it -brings instant credibility.
Old 06-04-03, 09:59 PM
Banned

Can I ask a question? I used to watch these movies when I was a kid. I don't remember them well. Which hammer movie is the one where that little midget is banging that bell?
Old 06-04-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wicker Man is my alltime favorite.
Old 06-04-03, 11:28 PM
Rest in Peace

Isamu

Best bet do a search at www.imdb.com under midgets ringing bells, it's a unique 3 word word search you might find your movie this way.

I am a member of the IMDb and I just go to 'I have to know'.Type in some words and let the whole world search for you. They think they're getting more browie points if they come up with the answer. They have come up with a lot of movies for me and me them, it's a wild world and humans from every country fit right in.
Old 06-04-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Wicker Man is my alltime favorite.
But it's not a Hammer film.

I might go for The Abominable Snowman, or perhaps Quatermass 2 as my favorite. Can't really decide. I really like Spaceways too.
Old 06-05-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by isamu
Can I ask a question? I used to watch these movies when I was a kid. I don't remember them well. Which hammer movie is the one where that little midget is banging that bell?
It's not from a Hammer film. It's an AIP film. Masque of Red Death is the movie that you are thinking of. The midget was named Hop Toad (Skip Martin (II). He tricked Alfredo (Patrick Magee) into wearing an ape suit to the masque and allowing him to "play" as his master. Hop Toad then burned him alive in front of all the guests. Prospero (Vincent Price) was so pleased with the entertainment that he ordered a monetary reward be given to Hop Toad for his "performance".

It's available as a Midnite Movies double feature along with The Premature Burial.

Hope this helps!

Sonicflood
Old 06-05-03, 12:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Sonicflood
It's not from a Hammer film. It's an AIP film. Masque of Red Death is the movie that you are thinking of. The midget was named Hop Toad (Skip Martin (II). He tricked Alfredo (Patrick Magee) into wearing an ape suit to the masque and allowing him to "play" as his master. Hop Toad then burned him alive in front of all the guests. Prospero (Vincent Price) was so pleased with the entertainment that he ordered a monetary reward be given to Hop Toad for his "performance".

It's available as a Midnite Movies double feature along with The Premature Burial.

Hope this helps!

Sonicflood
Thank you sir.