Angel Season 2 DVD cancelled?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, it was released on pre-order a while ago, with a release date and everything, and I put in an order for it, but now when I look it up on Amazon.com I get one of those "the studio is not currently producing this title" messages. I also can't find it for pre-order anywhere else. Does anyone know what gives here?
Old 04-23-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was one of the titles that TVShowsonDVD.com was referring to when they posted this on March 31:
Last week we posted various Fox titles on the site after Amazon.com put them up for presale. We just heard back from Fox and it looks like Amazon.com jumped the gun and none of those dates are confirmed. I'm sure Fox is a little bit ticked, but this isn't the first time it's happened. Amazon.com also listed the Felicity Season Two set over a month ago, and now that other etailers have begun selling it, the release date has changed. Maybe they are jumping the gun in order to get presales?

The word from Fox is that Amazon.com will be removing those titles from their site shortly.
As far as I know, it still hasn't been officially announced. Hopefully, soon!

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 04-23-03 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty scary thread title. Whew.

I never trust Amazon for release dates. And this is the reason why. I do hope we hear something very soon.
Old 04-23-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never watched any of these but my wife loves them. I almost bought the season 1 set the other day for her but deciided not to. Anyway, I watched the ending of tonight's episode and it looked pretty cool. So I was considering getting the 1st season after all. When I saw this I thought, "Oh well another $50 to go towards something I really want."
Old 04-23-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
I have never watched any of these but my wife loves them. I almost bought the season 1 set the other day for her but deciided not to. Anyway, I watched the ending of tonight's episode and it looked pretty cool. So I was considering getting the 1st season after all. When I saw this I thought, "Oh well another $50 to go towards something I really want."
I wasn't a Buffy fan till it hit DVD. Then once Angel was announced I thought I'd give it a shot. I like it as much if not more than Buffy. I mainly thought about getting Angel since my wife thinks he's hot but I ended up getting into it way more than she did.
Old 04-23-03, 10:09 PM

The first 3 seasons are out in R2. I'd expect the 2nd season to be out this year in R1.
Old 04-23-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The insert inside the Season 1 set says Season 2 will be out in September.
Old 04-24-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Yeah, the insert did say September.

The set wouldn't be delayed because of syndication rights, would it? I've heard that TNT will be showing Angel in the fall. Could the DVD release have been delayed until TNT runs the second season eps?
Old 05-26-03, 11:49 PM

Just saw on tvshowsondvd.com that Angel S2 is scheduled for release Aug. 19. DVD Empire has it up for preorder for $47.98 with the same release date and this small photo of the cover:

Old 05-27-03, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
The first 3 seasons are out in R2. I'd expect the 2nd season to be out this year in R1.
Make that the first 4 seasons. Great show by the way.
Old 05-27-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I've been holding off on viewing S1 until Buffy S4 comes out in a couple of weeks. It's been a rough wait. I'm sure I'll be looking for to Angel S2 in the future!
Old 05-27-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by boston george
How can Season 4 be out in R2 on dvd when it just finished airing here in the US like 2 weeks ago?
Old 05-27-03, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
I wasn't a Buffy fan till it hit DVD. Then once Angel was announced I thought I'd give it a shot. I like it as much if not more than Buffy. I mainly thought about getting Angel since my wife thinks he's hot but I ended up getting into it way more than she did.
The funny thing is, I am the same way. Buffy came on when I was starting college, and the college I went to was in the middle of nowhere. In other words, no channel showed Buffy, so I never got to see it. Then, last summer I was desperate for a good game and picked up Buffy on the Xbox because of the reviews it was getting. After playing the game for two hours, I turned off my Xbox and went to three stores looking for season 1 before I found it. I then bought seasons 2 and 3 as soon as they came out, but hesitated before getting Angel. I finally broke down and bought it, and I must say that despite how much I like Buffy, Angel just seemed to draw me in more and to overall be a better show. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the next release in each set (though I may have to put off Buffy season 4, as it hits the same week I have to pay both Car insurance and Health insurance bills, which is more than I make in a single paycheck after Uncle Sam is done with it)
Old 05-27-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by boston george
Couldn't find anything at Amazon.co.uk? Where did you see it available?

I received season 3 from them a couple of months back, set was released in March. I believe that season 4 will probably be released around the end of this year overseas.
Old 06-01-03, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
This, from the Spoiler Slayer website:

http://www.spoilerslayer.com/buffyblog.php#200359987

I'm getting reports from fans who pre-ordered the 'Angel Season Two' DVD set from Amazon.com have received an email, that states the item has been pulled from the studio's release schedule. I have not seen anything solid yet, but I do believe that this could be tied with the announcement of Season Five. This will take the series up to Episode 100, which means that it's a viable syndication package for television networks. Although TNT has already signed on, it didn't stop the first season from being released. My only guess is like Buffy, they want to be able to release this to local networks for syndication. Which begs the question, will we have to wait a year or two for 'Angel Season Two' to appear. I will keep the site updated as news comes in.
That could be a likely scenario. It was also mentioned that the recently released Buffy S4 DVD set made no mention of when Angel S2 would be released.
Old 06-01-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

News here -----> http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?page=News&id=4532

Looks like it’s 4:3 and not widescreen. Let’s hear from the Whedon fanclub on this one.
Old 06-01-03, 10:41 AM

well, another order for Blackstar...
Old 06-01-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well you can check out my other thread 'So I bought Buffy Season 4...' and check otu the thingy I typed out from Josh Whedon, it probably applies to this too.
Old 06-01-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let's wait and get official conformation before piling on Fox and Mutant Enemy. There's another TV series coming out on DVD that same day that was originally announced as 4:3 and turned out to be 16:9(and its name rhymes with Alias).

If however these specs pan out, then I'll be the first to call out Joss Whedon on his BS regarding Buffy's intended ratio being 4:3 and Angel's being 16:9. Yes, Angel Season 2 was protected for 4:3(unlike Season 3 onward where 16:9 is the sole ratio), but anyone who's seen the 16:9 R2 set can't honestly tell me that the WS framing isn't much better for the show. And unlike Buffy, there are almost no mistakes you can spot in the outer edges of the frame. At least nothing as bad as the boom mike that slips into the picture in the finale of Angel Season 1.

Of course, I doubt I'll replace the R2 set anyway. The book packaging and inclusion of the "Previously on" intros is reason enough to stay away from the R1 set. A lack of WS transfers would just be the nail in the coffin.
Old 06-01-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If R1 is not WS, then R2 will be getting my business for the rest of the Angel sets (as well as Buffy)...

Saw this unfortunate info on dvdtimes.co.uk:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Angel Season Two for September 2nd 2003 with a retail price of $59.98. This 6-disc box set will controversially present the series in 1.33:1 Full Screen (as opposed to the R2/4 Anamorphic Widescreen presentation) with a choice of English, French and Spanish DD2.0 Surround audio options. Details on the bonus features are as follows...

Disc One:

Commentary for "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been" - by Tim Minear

Disc Two:

Script for "Darla"

Disc Three:

Featurette - "Making Up The Monsters" (approx. 6:40)

Featurette - "Inside The Agency" (approx. 15:48)

Still Gallery (approx. 20 static images)

Blue Prints (approx. 20 static images)

Disc Four: None

Disc Five:

Script for "Disharmony"

Disc Six:

Commentary for "Over The Rainbow" - by Fred Keller

Featurette - "Season 2 Overview" (approx. 17:26)

Featurette - "Stunts" (approx. 5:14)

Last edited by Brett; 06-02-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This 6-disc box set will controversially present the series in 1.33:1 Full Screen (as opposed to the R2/4 Anamorphic Widescreen presentation) with a choice of English, French and Spanish DD2.0 Surround audio options.
Just to clarify, Region 4 did NOT get Angel Season 2 in widescreen. It's 4:3. I just wanna make sure no one orders the R4 set expecting 16:9.
Old 06-02-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Doughboy
Just to clarify, Region 4 did NOT get Angel Season 2 in widescreen. It's 4:3. I just wanna make sure no one orders the R4 set expecting 16:9.
Season 2 is widescreen in Region 2 only. Season 3 is widescreen in both Regions 2 and 4, and had better be as well when it comes to Region 1, being that the show starting airing on television in widescreen that year.
Old 06-02-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
How can Season 4 be out in R2 on dvd when it just finished airing here in the US like 2 weeks ago?
According to Amazon, Series 1 part 1 (first 11 episodes) is coming to VHS in July. It's usually a while before the dvd's come out so it's probably be several months for the dvd.

tasha
Old 06-02-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DavisDVD.com and DVDFile are now reporting September 2 and Fullscreen transfers as well

DavisDVD.com:
Streeting on September 2nd is Angel: The Complete Second Season. This 6-disc set comes with fullscreen transfers and and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround tracks. Extras include an audio commentary with Tim Minear on "Are You Now or Have Ever Been," and with Fred Keller on "Over the Rainbow." Other extras include the featurettes Making Up the Monsters, Inside the Agency, Stunts, Season 2 Overview; scripts for the episodes "Darla" and "Disharmony"; a still gallery and a blueprint gallery. Retail is $59.98.

DVDFile:
But wait, there's more. Buffy may be gone, but we still have Angel: The Complete Second Season arriving on September 2nd. This six-disc box features 4:3 full screen transfers and Dolby Digital 2.0 surround tracks, plus an audio commentary by Tim Minear on "Are You Now or Have Ever Been," and Fred Keller on "Over the Rainbow," the "Making Up the Monsters," "Inside the Agency," "Stunts" and "Season 2 Overview" featurettes, complete scripts for the episodes "Darla" and "Disharmony," and two still galleries. Retail is $59.95.

Anyone know where we can send emails to FOX demanding WS transfers?

-Brett
Old 06-02-03, 11:36 PM

why no widescreen??? how frustrating.

this time joss has no excuse... does he?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.