Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Throne of Blood - Which subtitles to watch?

Old 05-31-03, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought this as a blind buy. I'm looking forward to watching it -- but for my first viewing, does anyone have an opinion on which English subtitles to turn on -- Linda Hoaglund's or Donald Richie?

Thanks. --Jeff
Old 05-31-03, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vote for Richie

The first time I watched the film, I went with the default subtitle setting on the disc (i.e., Linda Hoaglund's subtitles). Afterwards, I watched the film with Michael Jeck's commentary. Halfway through the commentary, I decided to try the alternative subtitles while I finished the rest of the commentary. Based on my first impressions of both subtitle translations, my vote is for the Donald Richie subtitles. I had a feeling before the disc arrived that I would prefer Richie's subtitles...and so far I do. Good stuff. By the way, enjoy the film! It rocks.

Criterion+Kurosawa+Jeck commentary=quality goods.
Old 05-31-03, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Hulka. That's exactly the advice I was looking for. Now I need to find a free evening to check it out. Looking forward to it!
Old 06-01-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just my opinion, but personally I preferred the text style for Hoaglunds subtitles more. Just seemed to me a bit awkward reading Richies.
Old 06-01-03, 03:35 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by DumDum
Just my opinion, but personally I preferred the text style for Hoaglunds subtitles more. Just seemed to me a bit awkward reading Richies.
Exactly. I really wanted to watch the Richie subtitles, but the typeface used for his gave me a headache. I realize they had to use the different typeface to distinguish between the two, but it made Richie's subtitling unwatchable for me. Who are these graphic designers at Criterion?!!