Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Has your tv viewing taken a back seat to your DVD viewing?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Besides sports-I can't think of anything on TV that has my interest.So I would say 95 percent of my viewing is either DVD -DVD-R or laserdisc related.
Old 05-23-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually it's the oppopsite for me!..May is a very busy month on tv with all the season finales and Stanley Cup Playoffs. I usually squeeze in a dvd or two on the weekends though
Old 05-23-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I've been collecting DVDs since 1997. I got remarried last year to a woman who has a few shows she never misses. She was shocked to meet someone who has never seen Friends, Seinfeld, E.R., Law And Order and Grace and...sombody, I can't remember. Baseball is about the only thing I ever watch besides DVDs.
Old 05-23-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I no longer watch prime-time crap. I never ever liked Friends, Buffy or any of that stuff with the exception of Seinfeld, and even thats overkill anymore. maybe a reason I dont buy many tv shows on dvd is because I never liked them to begin with.

I do watch Nascar and F1 every week without fail...and other sports like the NBA or NFL. and as far as films, with direct tv I had all the movie channels up until last year, when I realized it was a total waste of $. I do still check out TCM and IFC(I refuse to watch AMC ever again), and the occasional Leave It To Beaver marathon.

maybe some news each day....and thats about it.
Old 05-23-03, 10:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Not me. My dvd viewing will pick up now since all the shows are over and TV will be nothing but reality shows now until fall.
Old 05-23-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Has your tv viewing taken a back seat to your DVD viewing?

Yes; I don't even have cable now.
Old 05-23-03, 10:59 PM

I don't watch tv...ever. There's simply nothing on worth watching, to me anyway. I keep myself entertained with books, video games, and, of course, DVD movies
Old 05-23-03, 11:00 PM

Once I joined Netflix again, I cancelled all my premium channels (used to have all of them) and found heaven

I'm still watching TV because of Tivo. Otherwise I might as well cancel the whole dish altogether and get the free channels OTA. I may have to do that anyway to get the HD broadcast if neither local cable or the dish dont get their act together fast.
Old 05-23-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aside from the morning news, I haven't watched TV since the X-Files ended. DVDs fo' evaaaaah.
Old 05-23-03, 11:15 PM

Just the pposite for me. That's why I'm always behind in watching my DVD's. I watch so much regular tv that I need to do something else instead of watching a DVD. Right now I have 6 DVD's that I have not watched yet. It will probably take me about 2 weeks to squeeze them all in.
Old 05-23-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely. If it wasn't for the Sopranos and SFU I would cancel my cable subscription altogether. Those two shows, occasional local news, and the FOX Sunday shows are all that I watch besides DVDs.
Old 05-23-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely, and this summer it will be worse. I've thought seriously about getting rid of my expanded basic and going with just local channels, but there are still a few reasons for me to keep expanded basic at this time, but DVDs rule my TV usage.
Old 05-23-03, 11:59 PM

Haven't had even network channels for six years. Most television programming is totally forgettable, and the good shows eventually come to DVD.
Old 05-24-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actively avoid watching TV shows that I want to watch in anticipation of them coming out on DVD. My favorite TV shows right now are:

X-Files
OZ
Six Feet Under
Twin Peaks
Buffy

I have never seen a single episode of them on TV, and in some cases, I can't imagine waiting a week between episodes.

It does become bothersome though waiting for the next season to be released to DVD... You hear that Mr. Lynch?
Old 05-24-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Max Bottomtime
I've been collecting DVDs since 1997. I got remarried last year to a woman who has a few shows she never misses. She was shocked to meet someone who has never seen Friends, Seinfeld, E.R., Law And Order and Grace and...sombody, I can't remember.
I'm with ya brother. People around the office talk about TV shows all the time and all that reality crap that is all over the set these days. They can't believe I don't watch these shows. They can't understand how I can live life without American Idol, Bachelor, Joe Millionaire, or Survivor. The times I have tried to watch these shows, particularly Bachelor, I was sickened to the point I thought I might never watch TV again.

...but then I buy a set like '24 Season 1' and am encouraged there is hope for TV.
Old 05-24-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoy DVD's more since the quality on the screen is much higher, yet because of Tivo I definitely watch more TV. I sit down once a week and scan through Biography, Trio, A&E and Bravo looking for biography shows. I love learning about people's lives... seeing what they did before they were famous. And I also tape some late night shows. Sitcoms? I think I'm in the same boat as some of you. I have never seen some fairly popular shows. Blech.
Old 05-24-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In a word...yes.

If I'm not watching sports, then I'll most likely throw in a DVD.
Old 05-24-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well, I still watch Friends, Scrubs, CSI, ER & NYPD Blue in broadcast. Reality blows...er shows don't float my boat either. I can feel brain cells rotting when people try and talk about them at work. Could you imagine how many I would lose if I actually watched that crap?

Anyway, since the tv season is at an end, I'm going to try and start watching Without a trace(since it was opposite ER). It comes highly recommended from a friend. And CSI: Miami. I watched the first 6 episodes and it was dreadful. But I will give it second chance, since another friend thought the same thing and said it does get better.

So, I watch more TVDVD than regular tv. Right now I am working through, Friends:3, Mad About You:2, X-Files:6, 24:1, Shield:1, Highlander:1, Cheers:1.
And add Stargate: SG1: 3 coming soon!

Just finished NYPD:1, Law & Order:1, X-Files:5, and Friends:2, Mad About You:1
Old 05-24-03, 09:55 AM

Since Tuesday (well, Wednesday if you count Enterprise) there's been nothing I wanted to watch on TV. And it looks like the summer will be ALL reality TV everywhere you look. Yuck.

So it'll be DVDs for me all summer (except maybe for Monk, isn't that starting up again?). Lucky for me, I've got Xena, The Monkees, Sex and the City 4, and soon- Homicide 1&2, Buffy 4 & Angel 1 to keep me busy until fall. Plus, of course, the occasional DVD movie.

In the fall, however, I'll go back to my 10 or so must see shows.
Old 05-24-03, 10:05 AM

I quit watching TV when USA cancelled the La Femme Nikita series. If MTV actually had music videos I might watch more (getting the premium MTV2 is too expensive). I don't watch news or sports. I sporadically watch HGTV and Style but could live without them if they weren't here.

I'm with Moocher - I couldn't discuss current network shows to save my life.

--Maureen
Old 05-24-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lately my viewing has been mostly dvds of tv shows. recently bought the awful truth set, all released friends seasons, new sex & the city, and sandford and sons 2nd season so i've been working my way thru those.
Old 05-24-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely....been this way for a couple of years now. Aside from the Sopranos, only a couple of network shows, news programs, and sports, we watch either purchased or rented DVDs.
Old 05-24-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
What is this "Te Vee" you speak of?

I don't even own one, I just have my DVD player wired into my brain.

Seriously, I will flip channels out of boredom, and I try to watch Fox on Sunday nights, but that is about it.
Old 05-24-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, my TV viewing has taking a back seat to watching TV shows on DVD.
Old 05-24-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never really watched much TV other than the news and some NBA games anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.