Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

status of these OOP foreign film dvds ??

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two OOP foreign film dvds that I have been searching for at B&M stores to no avail....Truffaut's Bride Wore Black and Godard's A Woman Is A Woman.

Does anyone know why either of these went OOP? I assume it was rights issues......if so, who owns the rights now? Anyone know of any plans for rereleases?

These went OOP when I wasn't looking......they had been on my to buy list for a long time and then before I knew it they were OOP. I wish I could afford to just buy all the foreign films on my list so I wouldn't have to worry about this crap.....especially since it seems that anything released by Image has a 30% chance of going OOP within the next year after it's release. Ok, so maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but just a slight one.

Does anyone know if any more Truffaut or Godard dvds are going OOP in the future? Or should I just take out a bank loan and buy everything I might want in the future now? lol...

While I am asking......does anyone know of any future possibilities of a rerelease of Almodovar's Kika?
I assume Image no longer has the rights to this film? Aynone know who has it now?
Old 05-25-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, does anyone know what the AR is for the A Woman is a Woman dvd? I have seen it listed as 2.35:1 at some places and 1.33:1 at other places.....which makes me think that it probably is P&S. yuck. What's the OAR? 2.35?

One reason I put off buying a lot of foreign film dvds was because they were Fox Lorber discs....but if they are all going to go OOP eventually, without certainty of being released again....I'd rather have them in some form than not have them at all.....

Godard's First Name: Carmen is also OOP it seems, but this one is still easy to find. SamGoody.com still has it in stock, and people aren't overcharging for it yet on half.com

Does anyone know the OAR of First Name: Carmen?
The dvd is full frame, but IMDB says that the OAR is 1.37:1
http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0086153
Is this correct?

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-25-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Garmonbozia...

I am going to try and suggest a few things to you...hope this helps.

First off, I saw a copy of A Woman is a Woman at my local Borders approx. 2 weeks ago so NO the DVD is still in print. Quality however...average at best. So, you decide.

The Bride Wore Black....I have not seen in a store nearby....however this does not mean that the disc is going OOP.

Kika I believe is currently owned by MGM but am not sure 100%...so dont take my opinion for granted. There is a nice anamorphic DVD in France however without English subs and with forced French subs so....this is of no help to you (released by TF1).

My suggestion to you: instead of getting a loan and picking most of the sub-par Fox Lorber discs I would like to suggest that you pick a region free dvd player. The French movies you're asking for and many other classics and recent releases are ALWAYS with better treatment in France. I have picked a number of films that were basically chopped-off in the States. The French discs are the way to go for French movies....as it is the case with many others as well.....

Here are all the films on DVD by Godard in France (OAR is indicated on the top right....and subs availability on bottom right):
http://www.dvdfr.com/search/search.php?multiname=godard

With Truffaut it is even easier...his films have been given an OUTSTANDING treatment by the French MK2:

http://www.dvdfr.com/search/search.p...iname=truffaut

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-25-03 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
A Woman is a Woman has been restored, and is being re-released theatrically by Rialto. There's strong speculation that Criterion will be releasing the dvd, possibly later this year. The film was shot in CinemaScope, and the dvd is letterboxed.
Old 05-25-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
First off, I saw a copy of A Woman is a Woman at my local Borders approx. 2 weeks ago so NO the DVD is still in print. Quality however...average at best. So, you decide.

The Bride Wore Black....I have not seen in a store nearby....however this does not mean that the disc is going OOP.
A Woman is a Woman and Bride Wore Black are both definitely OOP in the US. One might find an occasional copy on shelves somewhere, but they are indeed no longer being made.

Thanks for the links to the French dvds.....maybe I will finally have to give good consideration to getting a player than can convert to PAL and play all regions....
I mainly avoided getting one because I buy too many dvds already, lol, being regionless could be trouble. It seems that Bride Wore Black and A Woman is a Woman are not available on the links you provided me....so I can put off a region-free player even longer, lol...

Last edited by garmonbozia; 05-25-03 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by William Fuld
A Woman is a Woman has been restored, and is being re-released theatrically by Rialto. There's strong speculation that Criterion will be releasing the dvd, possibly later this year. The film was shot in CinemaScope, and the dvd is letterboxed.
It would be great if Criterion released this......I really hope it happens.
Old 05-25-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
This disc IS out-of-print, and has been for about 6 months or so...

All of the appropriate sites list it as such.
Old 05-26-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

blah, well I just broke down and bought Bride Wore Black off half.com for twice the MSRP, but I love Truffaut too much to risk not being able to have it in the future.....besides, I read reviews that said the disc looked rather good...
I'm going to try to forget about the other 2 discs for now......

Anyone know why any of these went OOP in the first place? rights issues or something else?
Old 05-26-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The film was shot in CinemaScope, and the dvd is letterboxed.
Do you have the disc or have seen it yourself?

The reason I ask is because I have seen as many sites say the dvd is 1.33 as have said it is 2.35....

and I can't find a review for the disc on any of the review sites......not even on listed on DVD-Basen.

For example, IMDB and DVDPlanet says it is 2.35:
http://us.imdb.com/DVD?0055572
http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...268&format=DVD

BUT...the DVDList search function, Amazon, dvdpricesearch, Laser's Edge, dvdboxoffice, DVDSoon, and many more places list is as 1.33 P&S:
http://www.kazart.com/mec/queryDVDLi...&Submit=Search
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...833155-0551201
http://www.dvdsoon.com/showtitledetails.xml?uid=9634

so I am more inclined to believe it is P&S but would like confirmation from someone who has or has seen the disc.
Old 05-26-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Purple Noon

oh, and while I am asking.......

does anyone know why Purple Noon went OOP?
A few months back I saw it pop up on a few sites as a price drop, but then they all disappeared and my preorder was cancelled from DDD. (I refused to buy this nonanamorphic disc at the 32.95 MSRP when it first came out).

Just curious why it went OOP in the US.......??

I ended up ordering the Canadian version (that looks like it was just released recently) and it is in the mail to me now......
Old 05-27-03, 10:57 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to DavisDVD, Purple Noon along with Belle de Jour and a couple of other Buena Vista titles are getting a price drop on 9/2/03

My understanding on the OOP situation is that its quite normal - they typically print 'x' number of copies based on how many pre-orders they get or how much demand they think there is. And then wait for the print run to be sold out. If its a major title of course they would print again before the inventory hits zero. But if they're obscure foreign titles they are prone to be OOP for a while between print runs.
Old 05-27-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
Do you have the disc or have seen it yourself?

The reason I ask is because I have seen as many sites say the dvd is 1.33 as have said it is 2.35....

...so I am more inclined to believe it is P&S but would like confirmation from someone who has or has seen the disc.
I own it, watched it yesterday, and it is 2.35:1.

Last edited by William Fuld; 05-27-03 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woman is a Woman was shot in Cinemascope. Thus, aprox. 2.35:1
Old 05-28-03, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own it, watched it yesterday, and it is 2.35:1.
thanks for the confirmation.....I wonder why so many sites have it listed incorrectly? the majority of them even.