Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

From Digipak to amaray...

Old 05-27-03, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, I found a copy of Moulin Rouge. It's a region 1 copy, but instead of a digipak case, it had a 2 disc amaray. I can't think of it's name but the one that is twice as wide as a normal DVD case. Anyways, it has a different UPC code, but it does have all the details on the back cover and the insert that came with the original. I believe you can only get this at Blockbuster. Instead of a black case, it had the red-rust colored case like Titus came in.

Just wanted to see if anybody else had seen this. I'd rather have a amaray case then digipak any day. That's why I traded for the Grease and Saturday Night Fever amaray cases and got rid of the slim digipak cases.

I wonder if you can find Amelie, Tombstone, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable or Fight Club in a double amaray as well.
Old 05-27-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the 1 disc version or the 2 disc version??? And what store did you get it at.
Old 05-27-03, 06:00 PM

BTW, the double wide cases are Double Alphas
Old 05-27-03, 06:44 PM

It's the 2-disc special edition in the double amaray. I got it here in Dallas. We have these stores, that will eventually be across America, called Movie Trading Company. Just like CD Wherehouses, they buy, sell and trade. Great place. Picked up Gleaming the Cube for $15.99 and many a Criterion for dirt cheap. They are owned by Blockbuster now so I'm sure they gave them a few copies. I would check Blockbuster first.

It has the same spine and everything. If you are on DVDprofiler, type in this UPC number to check it out, 2454303258.
Old 05-28-03, 12:00 AM

The copies of Moulin Rouge that are out for rental at my local Blockbuster have been in this kind of case. It is a double Alpha case that is tinted goldish-brown. Same cover art, only as a sleeve of course. I like the digipak packaging well enough, except that it is dark in color so whatever wear and tear it encounters becomes immediately visible (and I have watched it maybe 3-4 times - I have a similar problem with the 2-disc Se7en and Pulp Fiction - damn dark cardboard cases). Incidentally, I haven't seen the other titles you mentioned in double Alpha cases (though Blockbuster does have Panic Room in a keepcase instead of that bizarre single digipak).

Last edited by starseed; 05-28-03 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-28-03, 07:59 AM

Do any of your "Double Alphas" actually say Alpha on them? Mine are all made by another company.