Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Widespread problem with DRIVING MISS DAISY DVD?

Old 05-23-03, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else having a problem with the new SE of DRIVING MISS DAISY?

I purchased it from AMAZON and it had a thin 'streak' all the way across the disc, that would not rub out. They sent me a replacement and it had the exact same 'streak'. So I put in for a replacement of that one. A short time later, I received this in my email from AMAZON....

"I am sorry that your replacement shipment was also problematic.
As it seems that the problem with this item is more widespread than we originally thought, I hesitate to send you another replacement.
We will investigate and remedy the situation with the item; however, I cannot guarantee when the error may be fixed."

So...... Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or is it AMAZON's batch of discs.....?
Old 05-23-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon's batch of discs....

I don't think amazon.com got a batch made especially for them. I could be wrong, but I am betting that if defective copies went out they went out to more than amazon.com.

I checked mine, and it's fine. I got it from amazon.com as well.
Old 05-24-03, 12:16 AM

So.....

Does the "streak" affect playback? (I assume the "streak" is on the information side....not the picture side, right?)
Old 05-24-03, 03:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DiscGuy
So.....

Does the "streak" affect playback? (I assume the "streak" is on the information side....not the picture side, right?)
You are correct, Sir! A problem on the picture side of a disc, or even the 'full screen' side of a flipper, I wouldn't care about.

As for playback. I haven't tried it. In all probability, on my progressive scan Sony, it would play ok. However, right out of the case, I expect the surface to be perfect, (or pretty darn close). Anything short is an automatic return...

I'm going by Best Buy tomorrow. I'll see if they have a copy. Maybe I'll have more luck...