Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Chamber of HORROR

Old 05-23-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?4757

Chamber Of Horrors
21/05/2003

There'll be slapped wrists all round at Warner Home Video today, as the company – which is responsible for the Harry Potter DVDs - tries to work out how a 5 year old ended up watching The Exorcist rather than the Chamber of Secrets.

Five-year old Jessica Daley was sat in front of the TV by her father John who'd just bought his daughter the DVD of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Little did he know that due to a labelling mix-up, the DVD inside was actually a copy of The Exorcist – regularly voted the scariest film of all time.

According to The Sun, Jessica managed to watch five minutes of satanic possession before she told her father, 'It's scaring me.' As the idle chap was sat in the bath, he sent Jessica's 11-year-old sister in to sit with her before she came to him saying that the film definitely wasn't Harry Potter.

'There must have been a mix-up — either that or someone there was having a laugh. But I don’t think it was funny.' Warner Bros told the paper that, ' We are very concerned to hear about this. We will investigate immediately.'

Talk about screwed up... but then again.. it sorta makes you laugh..
Old 05-23-03, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to me that COS could be quite scary for a five year old also. For example, they might end up with a lifetime fear of giant size spiders.
Old 05-23-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Giant spiders is one thing.. watching a demon filled girl screaming "lick me" and running down stairs LIKE a spider is another thing..
Old 05-23-03, 08:27 AM

Hehe. This is highly amusing. Not sure about 'The Exorcist' being the scariest Horror movie of all time. I personally found it quiet boring apart from the odd bout of blasphemy and crucifix abuse.
Old 05-23-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's one scary chamber.
Old 05-23-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone who has seen the Exorcist knows it doesn't get really scary until well into the movie. This sounds fishy.

Funny mix-up, though.
Old 05-23-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's nothin' wrong with a five year old girl watching The Exorcist...

Just playing Devil's advocate.
Old 05-23-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by tdirgins
Anyone who has seen the Exorcist knows it doesn't get really scary until well into the movie. This sounds fishy.

Funny mix-up, though.
I was thinking the same thing. Nothing really odd starts happening for the first 40 minutes. Pretty good attention span for a 5 year old considering it's pretty much a drama up to that point. You'd think the kid would wonder where the hell Harry was....
Old 05-23-03, 09:19 AM

That's right guys, laugh at the 5 year old girl who watched an R-rated horror movie. Real compassionate of you. You know not everyone has the iron constitutions you all apparently have. I saw a cheesy horror movie when I was that age and it scared the **** out of me. My sister was scarred for life by it.
Old 05-23-03, 09:39 AM

This reminds me of the artist who made the castle into giant penises in the Alladin posters.....

lol
Old 05-23-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although this stuff happens once in awhile, I am very dubious of this claim and it sounds like a precursor to a lawsuit. There would be nothing scary in the Exorcist in the first five minutes (well, the opening scene in the desert is a bit creepy) but nothing scarier than Harry Potter.
Old 05-23-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Chamber of Secrets to Chamber of Horrors .... well, at least it wasn't Marilyn Chambers.....
Old 05-23-03, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by C Roberts
That's right guys, laugh at the 5 year old girl who watched an R-rated horror movie. Real compassionate of you. You know not everyone has the iron constitutions you all apparently have. I saw a cheesy horror movie when I was that age and it scared the **** out of me. My sister was scarred for life by it.
Dramatic much?
Old 05-23-03, 11:37 AM

There's NOTHING in the first 5 minutes of THE EXORCIST (heck, the first 15 minutes) that is even remotely "scary" - and few things in the entire movie that are as scary as those spiders in CHAMBER OF SECRETS!

Forget about a 5-year old watching THE EXORCIST by mistake - the father should be chastized for intending to let his daughter watch CHAMBER OF SECRETS by herself...she's far too young for some of the intense scenes in that film!
Old 05-23-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nevermind the part about it being the wrong movie, letting a 5 year old watch a PG movie by herself? That alone leaves me to question their parental skills. Chamber of Secrets is a bit too intense for young children.
Old 05-23-03, 12:22 PM
Banned

There's nothing in the first 5 minutes that's scary or offensive. Accept a guy almost getting run over by a cariage (or was it a car?)
Old 05-23-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
There's NOTHING in the first 5 minutes of THE EXORCIST (heck, the first 15 minutes) that is even remotely "scary"
"Jessica managed to watch five minutes of satanic possession "

Not the first five minutes of the movie, she got far enough to get 5 minutes of the possession scenes
Old 05-23-03, 12:24 PM

This is a mistake only a Muggle would make!!
Old 05-23-03, 12:48 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
The scariest part of this all? The DVD was FULL-FRAME!!!
Old 05-23-03, 12:49 PM

Ha ha ha.

What a loser. He didn't even stay long enough to use the DVD menu to start the movie? Sounds kinda fishy. And since when does a "father" sit a 5 year old down unsupervised to watch a scary (for a 5 year old) movie and then take a bath?

Bogus story anybody? Or perhaps a setup.

I think that the "father" put the disc into the player, saw the menu, saw that the movie was NOT Potter, and started the movie and left. His entire goal is to get a big payday (legal settlement) over the disc. If he had just taken it out of the player and back to the store, he would have only gotten an exchange - NO money!

CON MAN ALERT.

His local government should bring him up on charges of child endangerment. Muhaaaaaaaa
Old 05-23-03, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Old 05-23-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally posted by parasite
Ha ha ha.

What a loser. He didn't even stay long enough to use the DVD menu to start the movie? Sounds kinda fishy. And since when does a "father" sit a 5 year old down unsupervised to watch a scary (for a 5 year old) movie and then take a bath?

Bogus story anybody? Or perhaps a setup.

I think that the "father" put the disc into the player, saw the menu, saw that the movie was NOT Potter, and started the movie and left. His entire goal is to get a big payday (legal settlement) over the disc. If he had just taken it out of the player and back to the store, he would have only gotten an exchange - NO money!

CON MAN ALERT.

His local government should bring him up on charges of child endangerment. Muhaaaaaaaa
You forgot to work in the censorship angle somehow. Obviously, some people think little girls should be told what kind of movies they should and shouldn't be allowed to watch
Old 05-23-03, 05:07 PM

Yeesh - someone needs to relax.
Old 05-23-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kramdenfan
This reminds me of the artist who made the castle into giant penises in the Alladin posters.....

lol
Little Mermaid?
Old 05-24-03, 08:49 AM

oops! You're right, Victant- it was Little Mermaid...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.