Peter Greenaway on DVD

Community
Search

Peter Greenaway on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-03, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Greenaway on DVD

what are all of the Peter Greenaway films out on DVD? It would be great if Criterion did a Collection similar to Truffaut. I can't tell much from this website:Peter Greenaway

I saw a copy of Zed and the 2 Naughts today and wonder if this was hard to find. I haven't seen his movie in years and thought I would do research before I bought.
Old 05-18-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only ones I know that are available are A Zed & Two Naughts, The Draughtman's Contract, The Pillow Book, and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and her Lover.

I really want Drowning by Numbers.
Old 05-18-03, 04:15 PM

I have horrible dreams about The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. One of two films I just hated from Film Class.
Old 05-18-03, 04:39 PM

Dunno, I'd be interested to hear why you hated it. One of my favorite movies, but admittedly not for all tastes (ha!). Also, what was the other film?

I have the DVD, btw, and though it is bare-bones, it's a very good transfer. The one I'm really waiting for, though, is Prospero's Books.
Old 05-18-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't 8 1/2 Women on DVD? Very daring, adventerous filmaker, just not my cup of tea, either.
Old 05-18-03, 05:23 PM

Here's a R4 version of Baby of Macon: http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=836 DeepDiscount has Zed and Two Naughts for $8.99.
Old 05-18-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by funstan
Isn't 8 1/2 Women on DVD? Very daring, adventerous filmaker, just not my cup of tea, either.
yes it is out on dvd, but I think it might now be OOP.
Old 05-18-03, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by mookyman
Dunno, I'd be interested to hear why you hated it. One of my favorite movies, but admittedly not for all tastes (ha!). Also, what was the other film?

I have the DVD, btw, and though it is bare-bones, it's a very good transfer. The one I'm really waiting for, though, is Prospero's Books.
I don't know, just didn't appeal to me. I didn't overly like much in the movie. The use of color and transitions was good, but I wasn't really getting into the plot or much in the movie, and so the "shock" of everything else in it just sort of left me(and everyone else in the class, only one out of 15 or so of use liked it) with a very queesy feeling. Its not the worst movie, and its certainly one of those love it or hate it films, but that was my take on it. Its really the only movie that every just disturbed me, I have watched other things like American History X with the curb thing and not been moved much by it, but there was just something about that movie. I went home that night and watched Moulin Rouge so I would have something else to sleep over that night.

And clever little pun .
Old 05-18-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
He also contributed to "Lumiere and Company", and this Tuesday his "M is for Man, Music, Mozart" is being released as part of "Not Mozart".
Old 05-18-03, 10:20 PM

I knew Greenaway was showing a new movie at Cannes and wonder it was going to be released over here.

I really liked CTWL for the use of colors, transitions, etc. I have the Lumiere DVD. I haven't seen 8 1/2 anywhere. I need to check for it online.
Old 05-19-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
I really want Drowning by Numbers.
I'm with you. I'm not a huge fan of Greenaway's, but I really like DBN. The device of the little boy narrating lent the movie some charm missing from his other work.
Old 05-19-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Thank God I never discovered great films through any kind of film class. They should teach commercial dreck in those classes just to steer ppl away from it.

I'm really looking forward to TULSE LUPER. Like most Greenaway projects its ambitious, stretching across more than just film. The first of the films premieres at Cannes. I doubt any deal has been struck yet for a U.S. release.

I own that R4 release of BABY OF MACON and posted about it months ago. It's actually not region coded but is PAL. Don't get it unless you have the ability to scale the image vertically. The transfer is stretched out, (not my player's fault.) If you compensate by shrinking it with Y scaling the image appears only partially cropped. This is based on a comparison I made with the widescreen still below. The area in green is my best estimation of what is visible. I wish I could do a cap. The transfer looks like it was taken from tape because of several quick instances of noise.

I know that DROWNING BY NUMBERS was released by the same company so I expect it to be equally poor. I want a pristine release of this as well as PROSPERO'S and BELLY OF AN ARCHITECT.

Some company definitely needs to get onboard for a proper release of Greenaway's films. There is no one making the kinds of films he creates. He's in a league all his own. It's amazing he is able to get his vision across in such a commercial environment.
Old 05-19-03, 10:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by philo
Thank God I never discovered great films through any kind of film class. They should teach commercial dreck in those classes just to steer ppl away from it.

I know that DROWNING BY NUMBERS was released by the same company so I expect it to be equally poor. I want a pristine release of this as well as PROSPERO'S and BELLY OF AN ARCHITECT.

Some company definitely needs to get onboard for a proper release of Greenaway's films. There is no one making the kinds of films he creates. He's in a league all his own. It's amazing he is able to get his vision across in such a commercial environment.
I agree completely, the video transfer of Prospero that Image did for the laserdisc release screams out for an improved DVD release.

Last edited by Giles; 05-19-03 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-19-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMO Prospero's Books was made to be released on DVD. It is one of the most beautifully shot films I have seen.

The movie I am really waiting for is Belly of an Architect, I must have this movie on DVD. I have all the other R1 releases of Greenaways, and almost picked up the R4 of Macon, but am holding out in hopes of a decent release.

For those that don't have 8 1/2, hunt it down it is a great Greenaway. Not his best work, but great nonetheless.
Old 05-19-03, 10:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
IMO Prospero's Books was made to be released on DVD. It is one of the most beautifully shot films I have seen.

It was one of the first movies where High-Definition video was used in the film making process. I soooooooooooo want this disc. Please Criterion?!
Old 05-19-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by dunno260
I don't know, just didn't appeal to me. I didn't overly like much in the movie. The use of color and transitions was good, but I wasn't really getting into the plot or much in the movie, and so the "shock" of everything else in it just sort of left me(and everyone else in the class, only one out of 15 or so of use liked it) with a very queesy feeling. Its not the worst movie, and its certainly one of those love it or hate it films, but that was my take on it. Its really the only movie that every just disturbed me, I have watched other things like American History X with the curb thing and not been moved much by it, but there was just something about that movie. I went home that night and watched Moulin Rouge so I would have something else to sleep over that night.
Funny, I love Cook Thief but Moulin Rouge makes me violently ill.
Old 05-19-03, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Funny, I love Cook Thief but Moulin Rouge makes me violently ill.

Old 05-19-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot about 8 1/2 Women. It looks like the original DVD is from Lion's Gate/Universal and is out of print. I know Lion's Gate got their catalog from Universal back and they are re-issuing all their DVDs, so I wouldn't pay a lot of money for the OOP version. I would bet it will be reissued soon enough at a decent price.

I noticed that A Zed and Two Naughts is only $8.99 at DDD. It has a street date of 6/10/03 so it must be a price drop. They don't have a listing for Draughtman's though which is odd.
Old 05-19-03, 02:12 PM

I noticed that A Zed and Two Naughts is only $8.99 at DDD. It has a street date of 6/10/03 so it must be a price drop. They don't have a listing for Draughtman's though which is odd.
Well i think Draughtsman's came out after Zed and Two Naughts on DVD, so possibly they won't be doing a price drop for a little while later.

I think that is what you meant in your post. If not, sorry .
Old 05-19-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fnordboy
Well i think Draughtsman's came out after Zed and Two Naughts on DVD, so possibly they won't be doing a price drop for a little while later.

I think that is what you meant in your post. If not, sorry .
I seem to recall they both came out on the same day and by the same studio. (I remember buying them from Reel cheap with coupons and I sold them and now I regret it.)

That is why I was surprised there would be a price drop on one but not the other.
Old 05-19-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since "Drowning by Numbers" just happens to be my favorite film of all time - I need, Need, NEED it on DVD - right this instant!

Same goes for "Belly of an Architect."

Those are films I would actually pre-order were they available.
Old 05-19-03, 06:36 PM

That is why I was surprised there would be a price drop on one but not the other.
The price I saw for ZOO was almost $20. I guess I'll wait for the price drop.

It looks like I started a good discussion. I think Greenaway is very under-rated. Maybe his subject matter has chased reviewers and critics away. I think he has a "eye'" for filmmaking. Most of his works are like plays, because there is so much on the set/screen.
Old 05-20-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
I regret not picking up 8 1/2 Women after reading that it's now out of print.

However, over at www.blackstar.co.uk I see they have it listed for a Pre-Order, Jun 30th release at just £5.99. I don't know if its the same as the R1 release though. There's no pic yet.

Another thing I really love about Greenaway's films is the music, usually composed by Michael Nyman. His music suits Greenaway's films perfectly. When I see films like Cook, Thief or Prospero's Books, Drowning By Numbers, or Pillow Book, I am just in awe of the man's creativity.
Old 05-20-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by philo
Another thing I really love about Greenaway's films is the music, usually composed by Michael Nyman. His music suits Greenaway's films perfectly. When I see films like Cook, Thief or Prospero's Books, Drowning By Numbers, or Pillow Book, I am just in awe of the man's creativity.
FYI, Michael Nyman did not do the music for Pillow Book. Greenaway and Nyman had a falling out sometime before that. I attended a premiere screening for Pillow Book where Greenaway introduced the film, and although he could not say anything specific he alluded to the fact that the two of them were permanently going their separate ways.
Old 05-20-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a shame... Nyman's scores are among my favorite elements in Greenaway's films.

The world needs "Baby of Macon" on a decent R1/R0 NTSC Dvd. Or I do, at least. C'mon Criterion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.