Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Peter Greenaway on DVD

Peter Greenaway on DVD

Old 05-20-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
I think Anchor Bay is a more likely candidate. They did a good job with their Cook Thief DVD.
Old 05-20-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That'd work, too! C'mon, Anchor Bay.
Old 05-20-03, 08:28 PM

Thanks for posting back. Oddly, I like both The Cook... and Moulin Rouge. Maybe an all-singing, all-dancing, all-cannibalism extravaganza film would be just the thing for me.
Old 05-20-03, 09:28 PM

I have the R4 DROWNING BY NUMBERS. It is a full frame transfer, not the greatest, faded colors etc. But, better than nothing.

BABY OF MACON I would love to see on R1 DVD (I heard the horror stories about the R4 release so avoided it). But the film is so extreme and difficult to watch, I don't know who would release it. It is Julia Ormond's greatest performance. Don't know how she could do what she did in that film and not be in therapy the rest of her life.

PROSPERO is my favorite of Greenaway's. One of the films that deserves a DVD transfer the most, being one of the most visually stunning films of the past several decades. But, since the rights have bounced around quite a bit (Fox Video released it, then the defunct Video Treasures) who knows what is going on.
Old 05-20-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have 8 1/2 Women on DVD. Definitely not Peter Greenaway's finest moment. And the old guy showing his dong all the time sort of gives me the heebie jeebies.

But I'm keeping it for no other reason than where else can I find Toni Collette with a completely mowed lawn?
Old 05-21-03, 02:05 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
FYI, Michael Nyman did not do the music for Pillow Book. Greenaway and Nyman had a falling out sometime before that.
Yeah, I goofed on that. I saw it after I posted but was in a hurry. Though I greatly admire Nyman's creativity as well, I meant to say Greenway. Got it jumbled. The music is noticeably different in THE PILLOW BOOK. Sorry to see them part ways.

Josh-da-ma, that post cracked me up!
Old 05-21-03, 03:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by philo
I regret not picking up 8 1/2 Women after reading that it's now out of print.

However, over at www.blackstar.co.uk I see they have it listed for a Pre-Order, Jun 30th release at just 5.99. I don't know if its the same as the R1 release though. There's no pic yet.

Another thing I really love about Greenaway's films is the music, usually composed by Michael Nyman. His music suits Greenaway's films perfectly. When I see films like Cook, Thief or Prospero's Books, Drowning By Numbers, or Pillow Book, I am just in awe of the man's creativity.
While technically not a Nyman score, the CD of "The Baby of Macon" is gorgeous and when played on a Pro-Logic amplifier, the Cinema Surround Soundmix can be reproduced.