John Carpenter DVD questions

Community
Search

John Carpenter DVD questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by shill66
It'll happen as soon as you go to your local DVD store.
Shill, let me phrase my statement again..........

"I have been waiting for a new THE THING SE for a really long time now!! A DVD that has a quality ANAMORPHIC transfer and more features!! I wonder if it will ever happen?
Old 05-24-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by photoflow

"I have been waiting for a new THE THING SE for a really long time now!! A DVD that has a quality ANAMORPHIC transfer and more features!! I wonder if it will ever happen?

What else do you want in terms of features? Pretty much everything left in existence concerning the filming of The Thing is on the current DVD. And aside from being non-anamorphic, the transfer itself doesn't get a lot better. The current DVD is a godsend and came as a complete surprise, since Universal took a massive bath on the film at the box office and usually such films get buried and forgotten. JMO but count your blessings.
Old 05-25-03, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by JesseCuster
What else do you want in terms of features? Pretty much everything left in existence concerning the filming of The Thing is on the current DVD. And aside from being non-anamorphic, the transfer itself doesn't get a lot better. The current DVD is a godsend and came as a complete surprise, since Universal took a massive bath on the film at the box office and usually such films get buried and forgotten. JMO but count your blessings.
Jesse, I will soon have a 16X9 plasma display, and especially for this reason, I want an anamorphic The Thing SE!!
Old 05-25-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I held off on The Thing for a long time hoping they would upgrade it to anamorphic, but then I finally broke down and bought it. The extras are great and necessitate a purchase. If they ever re-issue it just sell-off the old one. You can grab it from DeepDiscountDVD for $13.99 with free shipping - for that price it's just too good to pass up.
Old 05-25-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
If you have a multi-region player, the Region 2 UK edition has a great commentary track.

Apparently, sales of the initial bare-bones DVD in the U.S. were 'soft', so they are reluctant to do a SE re-release.
What they overlook is people like me who love Starman, but avoided the initial release in hopes of a better special edition with a Carpenter commentary. Their sales projections likely do not take this into account. I would also kill for good (region 1) SE's of Christine and They Live. And I'm eagerly anticipating the soon-to-be-released Halloween: 25th Anniversay Edition and Escape From New York: Special Edition.