Unrated Version of the H/1000 Corpses Coming!

Old 05-14-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unrated Version of the H/1000 Corpses Coming!

DVD File reports that "On August 12th, Lion's Gate Home Entertainment will release Rob Zombie's directorial debut, The House of 1000 Corpses. Lion's Gate will release the flick in R-rated and Unrated versions, and will be presented in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 Dolby surround. Extras include an audio commentary by Zombie, an isolated music score, behind-the-scenes footage, a still gallery, theatrical trailers, and possibly more to be announced."

SWEET!!!
Old 05-14-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very sweet!
Old 05-14-03, 02:33 PM

cool.
Old 05-14-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
I don't understand the logic of releasing the cut version. I guess it's for the Wal-Mart's and Blockbuster's of the world...not that WallyWorld would carry it in the first place.

Can't wait!
Old 05-14-03, 02:46 PM

Excellent news!
Old 05-14-03, 03:38 PM

Awesome!
Old 05-14-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, he has also signed up to do a sequel as well.
Old 05-14-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am so glad I didn't bother seeing this movie in the theater
Old 05-14-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DeputyDave
I am so glad I didn't bother seeing this movie in the theater
I wish I could say the same thing

But I digress... I could be tempted into buying the DVD once I hear what exactly has changed. If they just extend a few scenes then I'll probably pass. Remember, "unrated" just means it wasn't submitted for a rating.
Old 05-14-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-14-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think "uncut" means the version that he wanted to be seen.
If you read interviews by Zombie,the so called uncut would be the version he directed and wanted us to see.
I would think more gore as well as other footage that was cut out due to time restraints ???
He did put alot of time into this movie and Im sure it has alot more to offer than what was in theaters.

I'll get the DVD anyway,I liked the flick either way.
Old 05-14-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice... cant wait for the Uncut! Dr. Satan!
Old 05-14-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't too impressed with the version I saw. Granted, I went into it biased, thinking it was going to be another Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoff. It had some good elements, but overall I was disappointed.

That said, I may pick up the "uncut" DVD in hopes that it will be better than the version released to theaters. I really wanted to like the theatrical version...
Old 05-14-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it had so much hyper-hype, for so long, I'm worried this might not live up to my horror standards. hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-15-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was looking at the films LionsGate have lined up at Cannes in today's Variety and one thing is for sure:

Together with Palm Pictures these people are getting very, VERY impressive. They have all kinds of strong, controversial movies coming up this Fall, from Irreversible to Godsend (the recentrly cut R.DeNiro flick).

Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-15-03, 02:45 AM

Excellent news!!

Yes this is not the 'unrated is a gimmick' issue plenty of people on this board seem to think of all things 'unrated'.

Footage was cut from the film to recieve a R rating instead of a NC-17.

From what i saw in theaters. The MPAA hands were obviouslly all over the film giving me the impression that much more than a few seconds of gore was cut.

Granted the film was still pretty messed up for a R rated film today. It was sometimes confusing & had pacing problems in some sequences again possibly the result of massive MPAA editing.

So once it's release or at the least the running time of the unrated version is known. Then we should get a idea of how much was cut in the R version. Some specs suggest that nearly 15-30 minutes was cut from the film before getting a R!

+ the unrated version IS the real cut of the film no matter what you think. It's what Rob wanted to released & tryed. Yet since no one would dare release it uncut(let alone cut in Universals case). He had to give in or the film would sit on the shelf for years to come.
Old 05-15-03, 09:29 AM

I liked the cut version well enough to buy the uncut dvd. While it was no masterpiece by any means (it felt like an exploitation flick without any real exploitation in it, i.e. no true gore or sleazy sex, hardly any nudity) it was more fun than most things I've seen recently. I think I liked what he was GOING FOR more than what he actually achieved. Hopefully an uncut version will give me what I felt this version was missing...namely more footage of his girlfriend's butt.
Old 05-23-03, 05:42 PM

Look what i found!......

http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIV...003/film1.html

According to Rob Zombie, the MPAA was brutal to this film and he had to cut 15-20 minutes. May I excerpt the last two paragraphs from the above piece:
Zombie acknowledges his own film has had to be cut, at times rather drastically, to avoid the dreaded NC-17 rating, one that direly limits the reach of a horror movie's key youth demographic. "It's hard to say how much, precisely, has been cut out. About 15 or 20 minutes, I'd say. It'll be on the DVD. The torture scene, where a hand is cut off, that originally went on a lot longer. The MPAA was really hard on this film.
"No one would release the film unless it had an R rating. An NC-17 is just too difficult to deal with. Most newspapers won't even run ads for an NC-17 movie. It's sort of ridiculous, because NC-17 was created to get over the stigma surrounding X-rated movies. Now it's just created a new stigma. It's as though in this country we can't create movies for adults. So you can't watch something in the cinemas that you're going to be able to watch at home eventually anyway? It's a bizarre system that's just hypocritical. What was the point of creating an adult rating if you can't use it?."
Old 05-23-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What was the point of creating an adult rating if you can't use it?."

Agreed 100%. I hope that all 20 min is put back into the film, and I wonder if this 20 min would make it a better movie since most critics hated this movie.
Old 05-23-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Rob Zombie: "It's sort of ridiculous, because NC-17 was created to get over the stigma surrounding X-rated movies. Now it's just created a new stigma. It's as though in this country we can't create movies for adults. So you can't watch something in the cinemas that you're going to be able to watch at home eventually anyway? It's a bizarre system that's just hypocritical. What was the point of creating an adult rating if you can't use it?."

I agree 100% with Rob on this point. The MPAA and their ratings system is a joke.
Old 05-23-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet. I hope all the blood and gore are back in there.
Old 05-23-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I hope that all 20 min is put back into the film, and I wonder if this 20 min would make it a better movie since most critics hated this movie.
20mins. or not, there's no way in hell the critics will like this movie... They just don't understand.
Old 05-23-03, 10:03 PM

As for the NC-17 issue. My solution is to just get rid of the dam thing & make R high enough!

Their's no point in NC-17 since they never use it. Sometimes the MPAA demands the tiniest cuts in order to make a film R rated instead of NC-17,which makes that rating even more pointless & confusing. Sometimes the MPAA demands huge cuts before giving out a R,meanwhile they let another film pass with smaller cuts. Again obviously using NC-17 against certain filmmakers "Hehehe..you can't release this fully & expect to make a profit..unless you cut it for us..then we'll give you your R!"

Thus the best solution is to get rid of the dam rating. Then you can go all out & not have to worry about cuts once getting a R...unless the studio stupidly decides "Hey,lets cut it down to a PG-13!".