what's the big deal with having inserts

Old 05-14-03, 07:59 AM

what's the big deal with having inserts

I've been seeing a lot of posts recently with people asking if a particular disc was supposed to come with an insert. That leaves me with one question:

What's the big deal with inserts?

I've seen very few discs with inserts that had information that couldn't be found on the actual disc. I'm sure some people like to have the chapter list in hand but I find it just as easy to go to the menu and select from the 'Scene Selections' area.

Once the disc is in my player the case is put down until I'm finished viewing.
Old 05-14-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I agree with you - but there seem to be some people who find it fills some basic need - one says he actually refuses to buy ANY DVD without one.

Well, one way to stop all the "is there an insert?" threads - release everything in snappers.
Old 05-14-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like to have on the inside of the case when I open it. Snappers don't have this problem, but keepcases give you clips holding nothing and makes your purchase feel...bootleggy. If they want to save on the cost of a sheet of paper give us clear keepcases like the other regions get.
Old 05-14-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'm neither here nor there on inserts. But it's true that they deter bootleggers a small bit - they're hard to reproduce, so you could tell that if a studio disc had no insert, it could be a bootleg or previously viewed.

Some inserts are nice - the "Collectible Booklets" by MGM weren't that bad, I like when they have more photos or art, and I like the Criterion liner notes. But stuff that is just the cover reprinted with a chapter listing on the back? What's the point?

What I do like about the simple "cover reprint" inserts is that they usually don't have obtrusive critical blurbs or even cast names. So with some of them, I just put them under the outer plastic over the existing cover...
Old 05-14-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I collect inserts so it's a big deal to me. Who cares about the actual movie?
Old 05-14-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not having an insert isn't a deal breaker for me (I would never pay $4.00 to have some place print me up a slick custom of one, for example), but I do like inserts if they do provide alternative art for the cover, or if it is a booklet with some supplimental information. I can take or leave inserts that just reprint the cover art already used and has a simple chapter list on the reverse side. But either way, it does give more of a complete package feeling when you open it up.

Now what I want to know is how can you refuse to buy any DVD without an insert? How do you know it doesn't have an insert until you open it up? Then it's too late to return it, since stores don't take back opened movies.
Old 05-14-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by myrdh
I collect inserts so it's a big deal to me. Who cares about the actual movie?
there you go, that's the right attitude

but seriously, the DVD just feels empty without an insert sometimes and like others have said, without an insert it almost seems like it's a boot or it's been pre-viewed from Blockbuster/Hollywood Video. Also, the chapter listings are important to me.
Old 05-14-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I could care less about the insert. Never bothers me if there is/isn't one. BUT, it is nice eye-candy to have more stuff inside the DVD case.
Old 05-14-03, 10:46 AM

I almost never read the insert, so no big deal for me. I think people just want bonus artwork or have the perception that they're getting more for the purchase price.If a disc does not have an insert it could be a bootleg but not necessarily, check with a reputable dealer or distributor to verify inclusion in the DVD case to make sure.

Nuff said.
Old 05-14-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Inserts are fairly worthless, and are a waste of paper, ink, and the time energy to design and print them. I don't need a picture of a the stars and a couple of tiny screenshots with a listing of chapter stops to make me happy.

If the insert is an actual booklet, or provides usefull information on the movie that goes above and beyond press clippings or a rehashing of plot, then it can be interesting. Less than 2% of DVDs actually seem to fall into this category though.

Down with inserts!!
Old 05-14-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Single-sheet inserts are worthless to me and I couldn't care less about them (and no, snappers are not the answer). However, a nice booklet a la Royal Tenenbaums or the like can be really cool.
Old 05-14-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

those 1 page inserts are pretty worthless - i agree.

but, i think it's just human nature. matome touched on it. you have clips... nothing in the clips and you naturally think something is missing. so you want what's missing.

personally, if we're talking losing the inserts, i think the rectangular shape of dvd cases are lame b/c the dvd could easily be held by a square case. and they don't need to be so thick.
Old 05-14-03, 12:43 PM

I personnally don't think the inserts are worthless. It's faster to look at the insert chapter listing and push the next button than go thru the 'Scene Selections' from the DVD menu.
I also don't think it's normal that for a same DVD tittle, some boxes include the insert and some don't. Imagine instead of the insert, for a 2-disk set, the DVD with all the extra is missing eventhough you NEVER watch the extras.
Old 05-14-03, 12:47 PM
Suspended

what's the big deal with having inserts?

You got me.

Down with inserts!
Old 05-14-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've consulted a chapter listing ONCE in the last two years, as far as I can recall.

But I'd like to single out Anchor Bay's habit of including a poster reproduction on card stock as a GOOD habit, and a case where it's very nice to have a single sheet insert.

Anyone see some of the Roan Group inserts? White paper, black text, just a chapter listing, nothing else. Does anyone find those valuable?

I like booklets very much, but those are rare.

Still, I suppose I can understand those of you who want inserts, because I remember paying an average of around $35 or $40 for a single laserdisc, and having a feeling of disappointment when there was nothing but a plastic sleeve and disc inside.
Old 05-14-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do kinda like opening the case and seeing one, but do I ever really even touch it? Not unless it is something really special, like a booklet. Otherwise, I really don't care.
Old 05-14-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shill66
I've consulted a chapter listing ONCE in the last two years, as far as I can recall.

Same here. If I'm watching a movie that I'm not going to finish in one sitting I usually just jot down the time & go directly to the same spot whenever I finish the DVD.
Old 05-14-03, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Low RG
Same here. If I'm watching a movie that I'm not going to finish in one sitting I usually just jot down the time & go directly to the same spot whenever I finish the DVD.
Get a new DVD player! Most players resume where you left off. My Panny does that when you press stop or even turn off the set completely. It's an often overlooked but very practical feature!

And on the topic, I also think that most inserts are usless. I do prefer to have them however, because IF I ever do decide to sell my collection (because of an IRS audit, unemployment, etc.) I'll be better off. I do like booklet inserts with production notes. I'd rather read it in the booklet than navigate through it onscreen. Chapter stops are useful when demo-ing scenes (although I have all the good ones memorized by now.)

Yeah I agree that the typical keepcase/amaray is too thick and rectangular for no reason. Shelf space is waning. At this rate we're going to have square pizza boxes.

edit: i know, bad analogy.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 05-14-03 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Inserts are lame. If there's one, great, if there isn't, great. Either way, I don't care. I buy the case for the DISC inside, not the paper.
Old 05-14-03, 05:37 PM

You know what inserts I hate? ADVERTISEMENTS! More and more big studio dvds are packaged with flyers for other dvds, even when there is no special offer! What's the deal with that!? You already got my $15 for a 25 cent reproduced disc, leave me alone!
Old 05-14-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It just feels sort of like a cheap bootleg when there isn't an insert (or even if it's just a cheap one-sheet).

It's sort of like putting in a dvd and not having a menu - or a really generic one. The product feels compromised.

It'd be nice if every release had Criterion's attention to detail and quality to the booklets - but even a cheap chapter-listing is better than nothing.
Old 05-14-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont care for plain inserts w/ nothing on it but chapter inserts but I think it is nice to be included so the box doesnt seem so empty. Just a disc and an empty side? Eh... I can live w/o em but it just seems better to get something with your disc. Booklets are always nice too even it if is only a page or two.
Old 05-14-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read an insert once. It was a booklet that had to do with something regarding the filming of the movie.

Unless it's a booklet like that one I read, I do my best to AVOID looking at them if I've never seen the movie before (and I do a lot of blind buys). Why? Because mostly the inserts contain chapter lists and most of the time the chapter lists contain spoilers.
Old 05-14-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only Inserts I think I ever read was the Red Dwarf ones.

Most inserts are just a piece of paper with the chapters on them.
Maybe useful if you jump chapters a lot and need a printed guide but i never use them.
Old 05-14-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CuriousGeorge
You know what inserts I hate? ADVERTISEMENTS! More and more big studio dvds are packaged with flyers for other dvds, even when there is no special offer! What's the deal with that!? You already got my $15 for a 25 cent reproduced disc, leave me alone!
This is true, but if I had the choice between insert ads or ads before the movie starts on my DVD, then kill some trees baby, 'cause I ain't havin' that!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.