Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the box in Criterion Box Sets

Old 05-13-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got my Hitch box. I love the movies but hate that silly box. Don't they know we like to see the actual movies?

They also have the Kurosowa box set with similarly bad packaging.
Old 05-13-03, 11:22 PM

The Hitchcocks and Kurosawas are not true box sets as far as Criterion is concerned (which is one reason they don't have their own spine numbers). This is just value packaging of already-released titles (compare to the recent Antoine Doinel, or the prior Dreyer, Cocteau, or Eisenstein sets). These sleeves are designed to display the product for sale, especially in a B&M store. They serve to introduce people to Criterion at a discount price. Personally, I threw the sleeve away.
Old 05-13-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I got the Kurosawa set, I didn't throw the "box" away but use it to store DVD stuff. I put the movies themselves with the other Criterions in spine order.
Old 05-14-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't seen the Hitchcock box, but if I didn't like it, I would store it away and just put the individual dvds on the shelf.
Old 05-14-03, 05:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

yeah, i tossed the kurosawa "box".
Old 05-14-03, 10:34 AM

Interesting, I actually put the movies in the box since it's a set and if it's a set, I tend to keep them together.
Old 05-14-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's kind of nice to hear that people don't like the box that much. Makes me feel a little better, given that I've bought the individual Hitchcock movies separately.
Old 05-14-03, 02:28 PM

Same here...i'm debating selling my Spellbound and Rebecca to pickup the boxed set, it would BARELY make sense money wise (as their prices are dropping due to the boxed set), and from what I udnerstand The Lady Vanishes doesnt have many special features, and the 39 Steps doesnt interest me very much, and i already own the Delta versions...granted im sure there's some improvement over the transfers, but they're not THAT bad to begin with.
Old 05-14-03, 03:44 PM

How do the Kurosawa and Hitchcock boxes compare to the Dreyer box? That's the only (Criterion) box I own.
Old 05-14-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Kurosawa box is cheap, but it doesn't really take up any room, so so far, I've kept it.

Actually, overall, I don't really like boxes or slipcovers that restrict access to the actual box with the DVDs in it. It just makes it a little more messy when I watch the DVDs, and yet I feel obligated to them. Examples include the Disney Tins, slipcovers (like on Superbits, Blue Velvet SE, High Noon, ...). I'm not really fond of all this extraneous packaging but I'm too compulsive to just toss it.

Oh, I also hate those little stick on papers on the back of the cases that aren't quite the right size, and are stuck on, never straight, with cheap glue (Lawrence of Arabia had it, also LOTR and lots of other movies).
Old 05-14-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The box is ok (Hitch), but I hate that it opens from the bottom. Whenever I actually get moved to a new place in August, I will most likely just take them out of the box and then use the box for something else. I love that Lady Vanishes cover-art!
Old 05-14-03, 05:02 PM

Interesting, I actually put the movies in the box since it's a set and if it's a set, I tend to keep them together.
Note to VisionSociety: Think outside the box!!!

LOL
Old 05-15-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FilmFan - I take your point but not sure I totally agre with the logic of: It's not a box set because the box is bad.

I do agree that it's a marketing idea to sell films that might not otherwise be sold. I'm sure their versions of The Lady Vanished and 39 Steps hadn't been selling briskly since their first release (which might have even been earlier than the DVD craze started).

Now to get even crazier. The Criterion Spine numbers are not necessarily even in order of when the films were released. What to do. What to do.
Old 05-15-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
They're in order except for The Lady Vanishes and the 39 Steps(I think it's these two) I'm going to put them in chronological order, screw spine numbers!
Old 05-15-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it is those two. That's the two I was tawking about.

I like chronological too and I don't pul all my Criterions together. For example, Sparatcus is with the Kubrick box set.
Old 05-15-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Call me a slave to the spine numbers, but I put my Criterions in spine # order, so if/when I get the Spartacus disc, it will go with the Criterions, not the Kubrick box set. Nonetheless, I picked up the Hitchcock collection today, and the art on the box is really cool, but the box itself is chintzy, so I'll just be packing that box away somewhere. Have yet to get the Kurosawa box, but I suspect it is made from the same material.

Because Criterion didn't put a spine # on the box, I suspect they didn't mean it to be anything but a packaging/collection of their Hitchcock films--much like New Line did with the Austin Powers package--nothing but the films all together in one, easy to buy package.
Old 05-15-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rearranged mine in chrono order as well. Just seems natural.
Old 05-16-03, 12:42 AM

I actually like the box, but hate the fact that it opens from the bottom. It will go into the cabinet with all the other boxes and strange DVD things that I can't bring myself to throw away.
Old 05-19-03, 11:33 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, the Hitchcock box blows but I love what's inside it

I'm glad I waited on the Hitchcock Criterions. Great timing for this upcoming long weekend.
Old 05-19-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, so some of you people are throwing your Hitchcock box away. Instead, how about send it to someone who already owns the 5 movies that wants the box? Id definitely like to get the box if possible...my email is in my profile, email me if you dont have a need for it, Ill gladly pay for shipping. Thanks!!
Old 05-20-03, 01:13 AM
Banned

you gusy are bitching about a box?????
Old 05-20-03, 05:43 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Scot1458
you gusy are bitching about a box?????
hahahahah, i just got the kurasawa box. i'm ok with it. hey it was cheap who am i to complain.

and this will blow you guys away, i don't keep my dvds in any particular order. they are just double parked on my bookshelf.
Old 05-20-03, 10:48 AM

If someone doesnt want their box, i'll take it. email me at xxjobseyesComcast.net

sorta back ON TOPIC about what we think about the sets in general, to be honest, i love them but at the same time, the prospect of them putting out another boxed set has completely halted my purchasing of criterion DVDs that they have more than 3 of in the collection. It looks likely that Bergman or Bunuel are next for the boxed set, and guess which directors i was about to take a binge run at? Why now when I can wait and get all the discs cheaper? There's a slim possibility of David Lean and Fellini and i'm just missing 3 of Fellini's DVDs but they're the likely ones to be packaged with a fourth (and i can sell that on ebay and help pay for it a bit).

So it's sorta like a financial move by Criterion to generate more interest, but at the same time, I'm holding back...if Jon Mulveny would give a straight answer about what other director's boxed set we'll see by years end it'd really clear the way for me
Old 05-20-03, 12:08 PM

I just got the Hitchcock box set and the box is cheap and flimsy. And I wish it didn't open from the bottom so I could see the spines when i put the box on the shelf. Having said that, I love the set. If Criterion has to skimp on the box to sell the set for such a great low price then that is cool with me. It's about the movies after all, not about the box.
Old 05-20-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see the Hitchcock and Kurosawa "box sets" as box sets at all. The "box" isn't much more than glossy paper. They aren't box sets in the normal sense of the word, especially the way that Criterion considers box sets (they don't have their own number)...they are merely value priced multi-packs.