PAL DVD question.

Old 05-12-03, 01:43 PM
King Voodoo

PAL DVD question.

I have a coworker that was explaining to me today that i cannot play PAL dvds. He says that it is possible to get a player that will play it but that my TV will not be able to view it. Does this sound right? Honestly I dont know. That is why I had to come and post this as soon as he finished. I knew someone here would know the answer. Thanks.

Old 05-12-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out the International Forum for lots of helpful information .... but basically you would need a code-free player that also can convert PAL so that you can view it on your TV. It's two separate things that you have to deal with, and not all region-free players convert PAL.
Old 05-12-03, 02:29 PM

>> have a coworker that was explaining to me today that i cannot play PAL dvds. He says that it is possible to get a player that will play it but that my TV will not be able to view it. Does this sound right? <<

If you have a code-free player you can play PAL DVDs. Most code-free players have PAL/NTSC converter built in (or otherwise, they would be useless). I have such a player, and I can play PAL discs fine.

If you have a hacked R1 player, you can play Region 2/PAL discs, but the picture may be somewhat compressed or stretched.
Old 05-12-03, 03:17 PM
King Voodoo

Thanks.

Old 05-12-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A computer can play Pal discs 100% fine (and also non-R1)
Old 05-12-03, 04:10 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Class316
A computer can play Pal discs 100% fine (and also non-R1)
If you modify it, yes.