Two weeks and no new DVDs . . .

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. . . makes Mexican Menace something something.
Old 05-09-03, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really picky?

In the past 2 weeks I've purchased 5 new DVDs...
Old 05-09-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got 10 pre-orders in the mail Monday and another came today that was pre-order for 4/29.
Old 05-09-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive just been buying a few secondhand dvds from blockbusters since im saving for a nice DTS A/V Receiver

Got Panic Room Superbit for $9.99 CDN and Road to Perdition for $12
Old 05-09-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I'm not the only one. Not even one DVD worht picking up in my opinion over the last two weeks. And I'm in DVD withdrawal so I've really been wanting to buy something new.

All that will change when maybe my most anticipated DVD of the year comes out Tues. EQUILIBRIUM!
Old 05-09-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Its been over THREE months since I bought a DVD! Guess what the last DVD I got was? The Godfather Box set! After that. there just wan't anything that could match up that set that justified buying another movie - I do only have about 55 DVDs after two years of collecting. Next DVDs, probably will be in a couple of months, I am busy with school so haven't had the time to enjoy a new movie anyway.
Old 05-09-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am an insane collector with ~650 in my collection yet...
1 2 weeks ago
1 last week
0 next week

I have so much spare money now, I think I will buy a small country.
Old 05-09-03, 10:19 PM

Re: Two weeks and no new DVDs . . .

Originally posted by Mexican Menace
. . . makes Mexican Menace something something.
Originally posted by Someone who watches the Simpsons
Go crazy?
Don't mind if I do!

lfhalu aw7rp37r 1rawfn ay8o hr33 khsdogbodyoghgy zdhf pou3r 7ar ahalkr 097a rhlak rar7 0ar!!!!!

*is having DVD withdrawl*

Bought a house recently, first payment was last week. Haven't been able to pick anything up for a while.

*hyperventilates*

At least I finally got my DVDs unpacked. Just have the CDs to go.

Last edited by Mexican Menace; 05-09-03 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-09-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ranger
Its been over THREE months since I bought a DVD!
That won't happen until I'm dead .... and even then, a few pre-orders will probably still be showing up.
Old 05-09-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i'm out of work & low on $$. Thus have bought practically nothing for months & the urge is coming back with the plenty of favorite titles being released this fall!

I did buy one dvd a few days ago though. Picnic At Hanging Rock. It's been OOP for quite some time & i figured i better pick it up now than never. Since other OOP Criterions i wanted & waited on disapeared to quickly.

Yet until i have a new job lined up or somehow won aton of $$$(which ever happens first,lol) & had some income flowing. Dvds are off limits for now.
Old 05-10-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm out of work too. Three and a half months and counting. I'm putting the new region free player on hold for the time being, but I'm still picking up a DVD or two here and there. Most recently, I purchased a couple on Half.com using coupons.

I figure that for $10 or so, I can afford a DVD a week. I've grown to like canned ravoli.
Old 05-10-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've blown my wad in the last two weeks. Got all of them online or on sale for really sweet prices. But I'm still gonna have to hold off buying anything for a month or so.

Babylon 5 Season 2 - $52 shipped from Amazon.ca
Red Dwarf S1 & S2 - $43 shipped from Amazon.ca
Mr Bean - The Whole Bean - $26 shipped from DeepDiscountDVD.com
2 Trading Spaces DVDs - $22 shipped from DDD (they're for the wife, I SWEAR!)
Band of Brothers - $47 new shipped from Half.com
Donnie Darko, Boondock Saints, My Cousin Vinny - $20 at BestBuy

I'm done for a little while. Still got lots of stuff to watch
Old 05-10-03, 11:20 AM

i hadn't had a new dvd for about 2 weeks as well and ordered fire on the amazon just to see sandra bullock naked (not bad at all), and it was only £4.00.Just waiting for nemesis and red october to turn up.I'm abit like the guys further up, just bought a sofa and want to buy a sony a/v set-up.
Old 05-10-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The next 2 months are killer for me especially June 3rd! I'll need to take out a loan.
Old 05-10-03, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Haven't bought a DVD for about a month...mostly because I've been busy. I do want to pick up Family Guy and Catch Me if You Can...maybe I'll do that today.
Old 05-10-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The week of 4/22 I didn't get any DVD's which was the first time in probably a couple of years and the 4/29 week I only got 1 DVD. That's a real long stretch for me.
Old 05-10-03, 04:21 PM

Jesus, that would drive me nuts. I'm at about 10+ dvds a week, if not more over the last 3 weeks...there is always something to buy and add to the collection. I'm lucky to have never been out of work...something else that would destroy me. think I've not had a job for maybe 3 days max back when I was in high school...been working almost everyday since I was 17, but when you're that young and the parents die...there is not much choice, is there? no offense, but I've never understood how someone could be out of work if physically able.

back on topic....I will never go more than 4 or 5 days without picking up dvds....no way.
Old 05-10-03, 04:30 PM
Rest in Peace

13 about 2 weeks ago 4 on the 20th with "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Star Trek: Nemesis" and 2 others. June "Die Another Day" which I have never seen before. DVD Talk banner advertisers and have them acknowlege their continued support for my purchase.
Old 05-10-03, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
Jesus, that would drive me nuts. I'm at about 10+ dvds a week, if not more over the last 3 weeks...there is always something to buy and add to the collection. I'm lucky to have never been out of work...something else that would destroy me. think I've not had a job for maybe 3 days max back when I was in high school...been working almost everyday since I was 17, but when you're that young and the parents die...there is not much choice, is there? no offense, but I've never understood how someone could be out of work if physically able.

back on topic....I will never go more than 4 or 5 days without picking up dvds....no way.
How do you ever find the time to watch all the movies you buy? If you are buying 10+ DVD's a week, there is no way you can watch them all, unless you have no life whatsoever and just watch movies all the time.
Old 05-10-03, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
How do you ever find the time to watch all the movies you buy? If you are buying 10+ DVD's a week, there is no way you can watch them all, unless you have no life whatsoever and just watch movies all the time.
wait a minute....dont even let it concern you. lets get one thing straight though. who in the hell has ever said when someone buys 10 dvds, that they have to watch them right away? are they going to fly away? be kidnapped by aliens? c'mon people. I hear this from many posters...accusing others of having too many and never having time to watch them all. THINK! cant people have a library of material, be it dvds or books or whatever...and maybe watch them later...no matter how long it takes? maybe I like planning for the times when I know my business is slow. maybe there are many reasons...but it's a waste of time to share them all. but, just for kicks...heres how I do it.

4 days a week, I work 14 hour days. the other days, I make my employees do all the work for me...since I hired them to do so. I may choose to take the whole week off....I've put myself into a position to do this. so really, if I choose, I have all the time in the world. so lets see...2 films one day...maybe none the next....2 or 3 the next...it's all very easy. I like staying at home. I like to at least try to catch a film a day, which should be easy for anyone....unless they suck at time managment. so whats the rumpus?

so I do have a life....a very nice one. and yes...I do watch films as much as possible. btw, the older you are...the more you and anyone else will understand. can I go watch The Swimmer now?

update: hey...just checked out your collection. nice selection of titles. and you wonder where I find my time? you have almost as many titles as me!!
so you really already knew that buying alot of dvds in a week....really does not even matter..does it?

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-10-03 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-10-03, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
wait a minute....dont even let it concern you. lets get one thing straight though. who in the hell has ever said when someone buys 10 dvds, that they have to watch them right away? are they going to fly away? be kidnapped by aliens? c'mon people. I hear this from many posters...accusing others of having too many and never having time to watch them all. THINK! cant people have a library of material, be it dvds or books or whatever...and maybe watch them later...no matter how long it takes?
Preach it brother!

I used to work for a campus bookstore. I very thoroughly almost always kinda sorta threw away all those paperback books we "returned" (meaning we just had to return the front cover for credit).

It's not like I didn't have over 500 books I very much meant to read at some point in my life, regardless that I mostly read books that I actually bought.

Fact is - they were there when I needed them. Even if I didn't need them. But I did! Kinda. Shut up! *sticks out toungue* *runs off to pile of unviewed DVDs*

Old 05-10-03, 10:46 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Julie Walker

I did buy one dvd a few days ago though. Picnic At Hanging Rock. It's been OOP for quite some time & i figured i better pick it up now than never.

Actually, according to the official Criterion site its not OOP and places like Amazon show it as in stock.
Old 05-11-03, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last dvds I bought were Spirited Away and Red Beard CC, approximately 3 weeks ago. Though yesterday I did recieve Bowfinger and Jurassic Park 3 from some promotional offer that Universal ran.
Old 05-11-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This upcoming week is dead for me, so I used it to pick up The Family Guy Vol. 1 and Futurama Vol. 1.
Old 05-11-03, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Ranger
Its been over THREE months since I bought a DVD! Guess what the last DVD I got was? The Godfather Box set! After that. there just wan't anything that could match up that set that justified buying another movie - I do only have about 55 DVDs after two years of collecting. Next DVDs, probably will be in a couple of months, I am busy with school so haven't had the time to enjoy a new movie anyway.
That was exactly what I was going to write, and yes Godfather boxset, I last got, good deal as well.