Titles of DVD issued in first year 1996?

Old 05-10-03, 11:07 PM
Rest in Peace

Titles of DVD issued in first year 1996?

I am simply curious to know were any of you insiders 'privy', to such information 7 or 8 years ago?
Old 05-10-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

man danol, your threads make people work hard...dont they?

I've always wanted to know what the first 10 or 20 titles released were. I was late coming on-board the format.
Old 05-10-03, 11:31 PM

The first DVDs were released commerically to the public during the last week of March 1997. Most were Warner releases; it's possible that they all were, but I don't know for sure. They were only released in select markets (7 or 11 cities, if I remember correctly.) This caused a slight concern about ordering them over the Internet (which you could do at the time) since they could then be delivered to cities not in the select markets, going against studio wishes. It wasn't until the end of the summer that they were released to all markets.

Here are several of the launch titles:

Interview with the Vampire
Raging Bull
The Color Purple
Goodfellas
Batman
The Fugitive
Lethal Weapon
Old 05-10-03, 11:37 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

This thread has your answer:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=242464
Old 05-11-03, 01:25 AM
Rest in Peace

I already knew the answers CFang, what I was after was the guys that are insiders.
DVD talk forum letting something slip that I would know they are more the DVD hobbiests like us, even the other thread didn't surprise me.

Lehigh Valley Mall in Allentown, PA the Travel office had a large 4:3 TV playing a P & S DVD in 1997. Coin I purchased that day was a 1925 50 commemorative called Stone Mountain MS-64. I looked it up it was August of 1997, the Travel Office had a Pioneer 505, DVD was that of the rain forests made by IMAX.

P.S. Another expensive hobby I 'had' was U.S. Coins, that day was a invitation to another hobby buying and viewing DVD.
I am just sorry that I didn't find any insiders at DVD forum. We all seem to have our sources, mine is the sheer amount of time I have for web surfing all over the world. I don't eat at any table I eat meals in front of the 'on' F38310,
7 days a week, 365 days a year with no vacations for the last 18 years. Online February 1, 1997 my 50th Birthday present to myself.
Old 05-11-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by danol

7 days a week, 365 days a year with no vacations for the last 18 years.
Damn, you don't get out much do you.
Old 05-11-03, 10:10 AM
Rest in Peace

Robert

I don't want people thinking I am using my disability as a crutch in posts. Robert I was in a career ending disabling road accident June 9, 1985 I was a Professional Tractor Trailer Driver. I am diabetic they will 'not' amputate my non fixable left ankle that got caught between the incoming metal and the heavy duty clutch.

In 1985 I had to make a decision I could stare at the walls and feel sorry for myself or I could learn and become a wiz at some subject. That subject was movies
when DVD came along it bcame movies and DVD, I am still a home bound cripple, I get to the food store on my 4.5 MPH 4 wheel scooter but that's all.

I can't rent because it would take me and my scooter about 1.5 hours of traveling dangerous highways to get to Blockbuster
one way. I hope this clears things up for you Robert and anyone else reading this post.

P.S. Being a Truck driver I only read newspapers I never *proof* read them for punctuation, the only 2 things I had to sign were manifests, pay check and bills.
Old 05-11-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Robert

Originally posted by danol
I can't rent because it would take me and my scooter about 1.5 hours of traveling dangerous highways to get to Blockbuster
one way.
Sorry if this has been brought up, but have you considered NetFlix to rent? I've been hearing good things about them lately and have even thought about trying it myself. DVDs come in the the mail so you and your scooter would be safe at the house
Old 05-11-03, 12:16 PM
Rest in Peace

Gutwrencher

Gutwrencher The answer to your queston is yes. I make people to try to *remember* or look up movies they have a partial 'clue' to what is being asked for.

P.S. You now have the knowledge of 10 or more titles available in your 'own' quest of your minimum. Didn't take your being a 'Privy' AKA Privaledged information on DVD. You just followed the posters suggestion or read their posts.
Old 05-11-03, 01:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Closing duplicate thread.