Ghosts Of The Abyss

Old 05-09-03, 12:25 PM
Cool New Member

Ghosts Of The Abyss

Ghosts Of The Abyss

Released on April 11, 2003 (limited release)

When will this be on DVD? I estimate sometime in October but I'm not sure. When they say "Limited release" that means the documentary will not be at the theaters for long so can that also mean a quicker release onto DVD?
Old 05-09-03, 01:08 PM
Banned

Watching the DVD would be a joke. See it in IMAX
Old 05-09-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually limited release means that the film will only be shown in selected theaters, i.e. larger market venues most of the time. I believe that you also had to have a special kind of 3D-glasses with this film too? No?
Old 05-09-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film is playing in both IMAX 3-D and also in 35mm 3-D in a few theatres. I don't think it is on more than 100 screens total.
Old 05-09-03, 02:46 PM
Cool New Member

For what it's worth, there is also a companion book available for the film. It features 3D stills that can be viewed with the enclosed glasses. I currently have this one on order, so I can't comment on the specifics of the book yet. But I very much enjoyed the film in the IMAX format, just as I did the Space Station, which was also presented in 3D IMAX.
Old 05-09-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agree with Pants... Why bother? Go see this at an IMAX, it's worth your effort... Any DVD release will pale in comparison.
Old 05-09-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

However, most IMAX films are on DVD and this one will probably be released. However, I wonder if it would be in 3D.

I guess my expectations for Ghosts were too high. I was underwhelmed. It was OK and all but I could not help feeling I had seen all this before in Titanic. It definitely had a "been there, done that" type of feeling for me. However, it was a well done documentary - especially for those who haven't seen the film (all 2 of you ).
Old 05-09-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it will be a while before we see it on DVD, as IMAX films tend to stick around theaters far longer than traditional run films.