Why No Individual GODFATHER DVDs?

Old 05-08-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why No Individual GODFATHER DVDs?

I know I can buy the full boxed set for, like, $70.00... but I feel like that is an exorbiant price to pay for two movies, even with all of the special features, commentaries, deleted scenes, etc.

Are there any plans to release the individual DVDs of The Godfather and Godfather II?
Old 05-08-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're not available individually because Paramount knows no one would buy Godfather III on its own.

And the high price encourages renting, which ultimately benefits Blockbuster/Viacom, their parent company.
Old 05-08-03, 03:59 PM
Banned

I don't know, but I'm not buying them untill we get them seperately.
Old 05-08-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't see why everyone hates the third so much. It was a decent film standing on it's own. sure seen in the set of the three is lacking.. then again I held back on buying BTTF because I hated the third so much.
Old 05-08-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$
Old 05-08-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really do admire those who wont have the discs until they are released as single titles. paitence is tough for some to master. me, I'm happy I have the box set to enjoy now....regardless of the price.
Old 05-08-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the box set and I'm glad but I'm annoyed by this whole idea, like what they did with Back to the Future and what they're apparently doing with Indiana Jones--forcing people who are interested to buy all or none. Very annoying...
Old 05-08-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cash Rules Everything
Old 05-08-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same reason the Indiana Jones and the ......... will only be had by box set. Many people will only buy one if that were true. They want you to have to buy all of them to get the single fantastic one/two.
Old 05-08-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chanster
$
Oh and that too
Old 05-08-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The short (and realistic answer) is $$$. Like its been said: how many people would buy the third movie if they didn't have to. Personally, I would but that's another matter.

Part of me wants to believe that these three movies tell one story and that's why they are packaged together - same with BTTF not so much with Indy but what can you do?
Old 05-08-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth I have seen a local video game/movie store that sells each movie by itself.
Old 05-08-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDaddy
For what it's worth I have seen a local video game/movie store that sells each movie by itself.
I see the Godfather movies like this a lot too. I'm sure IJ will get it too.
Old 05-08-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Columbia House (well at least Columbia House Canada) sells them separately because I just received a membership offer in the mail where you pick 5 DVD's for 0.49 cents each from the enclosed stamps sheet and there is a separate stamp for Godfather Part I, II, and III
Old 05-08-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're not available individually because Paramount knows no one would buy Godfather III on its own.
That is the truth --- they make more money by having you buy part III.

I agree part III isn't a bad movie, but I would have never bought it.

If they ever release I and II separately at a decent price, I will sell my box set on Ebay (if I get money left over after selling it and buying I and II).

Let's not forget Universal made us buy BTTF part III. I never would have bought that movie either.

Regarding CH, they do make mistakes sometimes. I would verify that. They had Once Upon A Time in America in their paper catalog --- yet the movie has never been released (coming this June).
Old 05-09-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They will be released soon. No doubt about it. The same will happen with the indy dvds.
Old 05-09-03, 03:29 AM

What gets me most about the Indy set is the next film to come out. What if I like it? What if they release a box set with the making of documentaries I wish were in this set?

It is fustrating being forced to buy one or two films you don't want. I passed on BTTF because I only want the first one, and I will wait it out until they are released individually. Same with the new Alien set if they only come in a box.
Old 05-09-03, 03:39 AM

What gets me most about the Indy set is the next film to come out. What if I like it? What if they release a box set with the making of documentaries I wish were in this set?

It is fustrating being forced to buy one or two films you don't want. I passed on BTTF because I only want the first one, and I will wait it out until they are released individually. Same with the new Alien set if they only come in a box.
Old 05-09-03, 08:19 AM

Because otherwise GODFATHER III would sell about six copies.
Old 05-09-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
Columbia House (well at least Columbia House Canada) sells them separately because I just received a membership offer in the mail where you pick 5 DVD's for 0.49 cents each from the enclosed stamps sheet and there is a separate stamp for Godfather Part I, II, and III
I don't believe that Columbia House US has this option -- I didn't see it on their website.

So here's the deal: you buy the first two movies for me, mail them down, and I'll give you a check for $.98 plus the cost of shipping. What could be easier?
Old 05-09-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if it's any consolation, I find it to be one of the greatest extras discs ever produced, between the screen tests and Coppola inteviews. And I think they could have packed more on there, but it's terrific as is.

Don't worry though, they will eventually be released invidually. Paramount has clearly had no qualms milking the franchise, as seen by:

Godfather III
Godfather VHS
Godfather VHS Boxset
Godfather WS VHS
The Godfather Saga

That's the next one to come, the sequential release of the film, as apparently Coppola is willing to enjoy and endorse either presentation. And the saga is fun viewing every five years, but I find the modern day segments of part II play best in their original form.
Old 05-09-03, 02:12 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though Godfather 3 didn't live up to people expectations, I think that without it, your collection will be incomplete (remember it's part of the trilogy). I didn't mind part 3 too much, at least it gave some closure.
Old 05-09-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ncmojo

So here's the deal: you buy the first two movies for me, mail them down, and I'll give you a check for $.98 plus the cost of shipping. What could be easier?
Cool! 0.98 US so I make 40% on the exchange rate! Ahahahah.

Tell you what, I'll pay for the five 0.49 cents movies, send you the 2 Godfather movies for free and you pay for the 3 movies I have to buy in the next 2 years for fullfillment.
Old 05-09-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
I also received that Canadian CH mail offer, but if I'm not mistaken they're only available seperately on VHS.
Old 05-09-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by J.P.V.
I also received that Canadian CH mail offer, but if I'm not mistaken they're only available seperately on VHS.
Oops, I just checked and you are right. Hadn't noticed that pesky little "VHS only" icon the 1st time...

Sorry ncmojo, the deal is off.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.