Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Final Countdown on DVD (discussion of releases current available)

The Final Countdown on DVD (discussion of releases current available)

Old 05-07-03, 08:13 PM

The Final Countdown on DVD (discussion of releases currently available)

I am aware that the “Region 1” DVD for The Final Countdown by PFE is one of worst DVD releases in the history of DVD releases.

That being the case, what other regions are available, and what region is most recommended? Also, what kind of transfer and audio do they have, and are any of them anamorphic?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 05-07-03 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 08:20 PM
Rest in Peace

I have a R4 disc in OAR of 2.35:1 and 2.0 Dolby Pro-Logic for at least a year or so! Disc has 16 chapters including opening and closing credits, and comes in a clear plastic keep case.

Running time 99 minutes, it says stereo on cover art, but I have confirmed the weak but hearable Dolby Pro-Logic with online friends. Bought off of EZY DVD in AU made from www.forcevideo.com.au completely legal disc and company that sells it. Really great in 1980 at Theater, 240 lines on 1982 vhs and superb on DVD in 2002-03! Great Sound of those F-14 Tomcats roaring off the nuclear powered carrier Nimitz.

BTW the DVD is viewed as a anamorphic for my JVC XVS500BK on PAL only x, y, scaling
JVC has its own onboard converter for power converter and NTSC conversion. If you have the progressive scan hard wired not software and I.C.O.S. mod (Inteligent
Code Operating System) is what ICOS stands for, a really great mod for playing other international Region DVD.

All of the above allow x, y, scaling but only on PAL (Phase Alternate Line) discs.
2.35:1 LBX if you don't have it. DVD talk forum advertiser sells the JVC XVS500, but I don't know what mod they are using.

Last edited by danol; 05-07-03 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have heard there is actually some rangling over who actually owns the DVD rights to this, even though Pacific released it in December. Hopefully those rights will go over to what ever company is arguing at and they will do a proper restoration and release. Until then, I guess I will just have to do without it.
Old 05-07-03, 09:54 PM
Rest in Peace

SCHMEGGA

On the front bottom right cover art box it says "Released by United Artists" under that they have "A Transamerica Company. SCHMEGGA get this, on the disc holder I removed it and underneath it said Film Finance Group Presents a BRYNA Company Production. Who owns the rights from United artist to their parent to Film Finance to Bryna Production, I can type it but I can't fathom who own the actual rights.
Old 05-07-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hopefully they can get this all sorted out so it can finally get the release it deserves.
Old 05-07-03, 10:43 PM
Rest in Peace

The Final Countdown widescreen is now OOP

Guys I took a jump over to UK and AU but neither are selling The Final Countdown DVD. Amazon R2 doesn't have it for sale anymore either. It has gone OOP status, damn I wish I had bought 2 while I had the chance. Force Video must have had only a very limited editon, the pic has no grainess in it. I won't be selling this one and it will be quite a while when blu-ray comes to see it in HD, if ever.
Old 05-08-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Australian disc is non-anamorphic, framed at 2.35:1. The transfer is pretty good - mostly clean, but with visible edge enhancement. The run time is 97m 54s, the average bitrate is 5.88 Mb/sec. It also includes the trailer, and chapter selections, but nothing else.

I also bought mine from EzyDVD, in November 2001. It was about $9 new...before shipping.
Old 05-08-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Final Countdown widescreen is now OOP

Originally posted by danol
Guys I took a jump over to UK and AU but neither are selling The Final Countdown DVD. Amazon R2 doesn't have it for sale anymore either. It has gone OOP status, damn I wish I had bought 2 while I had the chance. Force Video must have had only a very limited editon, the pic has no grainess in it. I won't be selling this one and it will be quite a while when blu-ray comes to see it in HD, if ever.
I checked Ezydvd, dvdplanet, amazon.uk and bensonsworld and they all still have it available. So I don't think it is OOP.
Old 05-08-03, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Final Countdown is a great movie. I constantly find myself humming the theme song without realizing it, especially during baseball games. Man, I want this on DVD...

When I heard about the region 1 release by PFE, I was happy. But then, after waiting for...nine months?...it was finally released and the reaction was, "We waited for this P.O.S?"

Right now, not willing to commit to a region free player yet, I hope some company can wrangle the rights for a decent region 1 release. Not holding my breath though.