OAR for Bob Roberts?

Old 05-06-03, 11:37 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

OAR for Bob Roberts?

Anyone know what the OAR for Bob Roberts is? I was going to pick it up cheap from DDD, but noticed it's 1.33:1, so I decided to do a little research first. A survey of various review sites seem to be split on what the OAR is, but the fact that any of them say it's 1.33:1 (as opposed to automatically complaining about the lack of an anamorphic widescreen transfer) leads me to believe that's right. For an SE with 3 commentaries and other special features, I can't believe that Artisan would only put out one version with the wrong aspect ratio.

For what it's worth, IMDB says it's 1.85:1, but they've been known to be wrong before.
Old 05-07-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't quote me on this, but I've been told it was filmed in 1.33:1, matted for theater exhibition, and opened up for home viewing to give it a more "documentary" feel.

I've held off on buying it too. Hopefully some light will be shed...?
Old 05-07-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The DVD is 1.33:1, but I had been under the impression that was the OAR for precisely the reason DonnachaOne mentioned.
Old 05-07-03, 01:02 AM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

Ah, so we may have one of those potential "gray area" cases where the theatrical OAR is one ratio (1.85:1) but the intended aspect ratio is another (1.33:1)? If this ends up appearing to be the situation, I'll pick up the available SE without another thought.

Uh oh. This sounds a lot like a recent thread that shall go nameless....
Old 05-07-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Regardless of what the theatrical OAR truly was, I would be absolutely astounded if this title is rereleased. If you like the film, buy the current version. It is supposed to be in documentary style, so the 1.33:1 is more than appropriate.
Old 05-07-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Don't quote me on this, but I've been told it was filmed in 1.33:1, matted for theater exhibition, and opened up for home viewing to give it a more "documentary" feel.
Thatís the story that circulated when the DVD was released. Regardless of its veracity, the movie looks great full frame. And as JustinS it is very unlikely this title will be re-released.
Old 05-07-03, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by JustinS
Regardless of what the theatrical OAR truly was, I would be absolutely astounded if this title is rereleased. If you like the film, buy the current version. It is supposed to be in documentary style, so the 1.33:1 is more than appropriate.
i believe it's just a standard price-drop re-release..they won't change anything on it, just make it cheaper..i know i've got mine "pre-ordered" on DDD
Old 05-08-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a great film at any ratio.

Best fake documentary since "This is Spinal Tap."
Old 05-08-03, 08:47 AM

I actually saw this in theaters during its first run. I hated the film, but I remember the aspect ratio: 1.85:1. This may have been due to the matting for theatrical release described about.
Old 05-08-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie was projected theatrically at 1.85:1. For its original laserdisc and VHS releases, the matting was lifted but it was still mildly letterboxed to around 1.5:1 or so. The DVD is completely full-frame with no letterboxing.

I'm not sure which aspect ratio Robbins actually prefers, but the composition works adequately at any of those ratios.