Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

A question regarding Léon: The Professional....

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Just out of curiosity I read the review at this siteregarding the DVD of the international version of Léon: The Professional and was curious as to what is supposed to be wrong with the 5.1 track in the first release of this version of the film. I want to know because I purchased this DVD back when it was first released and have never noticed anything wrong with it. True, at the time I didn't have a 5.1 system but even know that I have one I'veyet to notice anything wrong with the 5.1 track.

Can someone please explain what'ssupposed to be wrong? And, if it is indeed something substantial, will Columbia/Tri-Star replace the disc much like Universal did for Jurrasic Park?
Old 05-04-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were no rear surrounds on the 5.1 track, IIRC. The Pro-Logic track wasn't affected. The corrected pressing has the # 06196 on the spine.
Old 05-04-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The funny thing is that when I first got my 5.1 system this is one of the first DVDs I tried out and the 5.1 track does indeed have surrounds. Not a lot, mind you. But I wasn't expecting much from the film since it was never exactly cutting edge in the sound department and it's mainly dialogue driven. But the action sequences sounded just fine and I can hear the bullet shots coming from all around me whenever the shooting gets instense (like the opening shoot out and the action heavy "EEEEEEEEEEEVERYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOONE!" scene. The spine of my DVD says 04730. It also doesn't mention that the 5.1 track is newly created like the reviewer in this site mentions it should.
Old 05-04-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You definitely have the bad version, and the spine # is proof of that. I shouldn't have said there were NO rear surrounds. They were just mastered very low in comparison with the fixed version.
Old 05-04-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. I'm gonna have to try to rent the corrected version (assuming any of the rentals I frequent have it) to check out the difference. In any case does Columbia/Tri-Star replace the bad discs like Universal did for Jurassic Park or will I just have to buy this DVD again?

Oh and thanks for the quick responses matome. They're very much appreciated.
Old 05-04-03, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
I wasn't expecting much from the film since it was never exactly cutting edge in the sound department and it's mainly dialogue driven.
You won't be thinking that after hearing the good version. There's a big difference.