Will we ever see a Fletch: SE?

Old 05-04-03, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will we ever see a Fletch: SE?

For such a popular movie(at least in my circles, I'm very let down by the Fletch DVD up for release. Yes, it's in 1:85, and there is a trailer on there, but I would think a special edition would be in order. The movie has what seems to be a substantial following. I see it's on sale this week, and I'd probably buy it if no one's heard of a better disc coming, something I've long held out for.

And for that matter, why not even a barebones of Fletch Lives? This movie is panned, and may well be terrible, but I always loved it(I think the best one liners in this are better than the best ones in the first Fletch).

Could all this be tied up pending "Fletch Won" the rumored Jason Lee Fletch movie?
Old 05-04-03, 04:40 AM
Suspended

I hope Fletch has the SE 2-discer treatment. I love Chevy Chase.
Old 05-04-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kevin Smith is making a new Fletch movie called Fletch Won, with Jason Lee playing a young Irwin Fletcher. Miramax is distributing the film, but maybe Universal is opting for some sort of tie-in re-release (and debut for Fletch Lives). In any case, I would love to see a quality SE of this film. A true comedy classic.
Old 05-04-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kevin Smith is TRYING to make a new Fletch movie. He's been fighting with Miramax about the casting of Jason Lee as Fletch. KS has said if he can't use Jason Lee, he won't make the movie. He badly wants to do the movie, and he thinks Jason Lee is perfect for the role (and I agree completely). From Kevin's postings on his web site, it sounds like Miramax is getting closer to giving in to his wishes.
Old 05-04-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkflounder
Kevin Smith is TRYING to make a new Fletch movie. He's been fighting with Miramax about the casting of Jason Lee as Fletch. KS has said if he can't use Jason Lee, he won't make the movie. He badly wants to do the movie, and he thinks Jason Lee is perfect for the role (and I agree completely). From Kevin's postings on his web site, it sounds like Miramax is getting closer to giving in to his wishes.
Is there any consideration to Chase returning? I loved Chase, but he's too old, and I too agree with the Lee casting, perfect heir. I could have sworn I heard Chase was trying to finagle some involvment that Lee was to be Fletch Jr., the result of an Irwin R. Fletcher one night stand? Sounds insane, but if Harrison Ford can get back in the fedora and don the bullwhip, I don't blame Chase for going back to the one possible franchise that could save his career(if that's possible).

And I don't like the idea of Smith directing Fletch. I don't think he'd strike the appropriate tone with the straightmen(re all other characters) in the Fletch movies. His ego won't let another character get away with a non-spectactular line, he needs to inject either profanity or overwrought, unrelastic verbal acrobatics.
Old 05-04-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Third Fletch movie - Chevy Chase + Kevin Smith + Jason Lee =
Old 05-04-03, 05:08 PM

A Fletch SE would rule!
Old 05-04-03, 05:18 PM
Suspended

LBPound,

You guys have Frodo, we have Fletch.
Old 05-04-03, 07:05 PM
Banned

Fletch narrated the two existing movies, and Kevin Smith would like to get Chevy Chase to return to narrate "Fletch Won", which is a prequel story of Fletch's first mystery. I'm sure there would be framing (not aspect ratio framing, but story framing) where Fletch began to tell the story and would provide narration for the Lee-as-Fletch scenes, which would comprise the bulk of the movie, which would most likely end with another scene with Chevy wrapping everything up (basically, a "and that's the story of my first mystery" scene). As I said, Kevin Smith wants to use Chase, despite the bad blood between them, so the ball is completely in Chevy's court. If he decided not to do the movie, the whole device could be totally removed and the film could be presented as a straight "Fletch" story without the flashback stuff. In any case, Jason Lee is perfect for "Fletch", and any hard-core "Fletch" fans (and I mean hard-core "Fletch" novel fans, not the funny-but-poorly-adapted movie) have nothing to worry about if Kevin Smith on board, as he promises to keep the screenplay as faithful to Gregory McDonald's book as possible, so there will be no "Snoochie Boochies" whatsoever. And, to answer your question, Universal would be foolish not to release a "Fletch" SE and the first-ever "Fletch Lives" (which is an absolutely terrible movie, by the way) DVD to coincide with the release of "Fletch Won". If there's anything you can count on with DVD's, it's that regardless of rights and stuff like that, someone will always try to cash in on a new movie's release. When "Red Dragon" came out, MGM released a 2-pack of "Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal". When "Mr. Deeds" came out, the original "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" was released. To cash in on the upcoming release of "Hulk", Anchor Bay is releasing a 2-disc set of 2 "Incredible Hulk" TV movies, etc.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 05-04-03 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-04-03, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
You guys have Frodo, we have Fletch.
And we all get Mr. Underhill!
Old 05-04-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuruAskew
Fletch narrated the two existing movies, and Kevin Smith would like to get Chevy Chase to return to narrate "Fletch Won", which is a prequel story of Fletch's first mystery. I'm sure there would be framing (not aspect ratio framing, but story framing) where Fletch began to tell the story and would provide narration for the Lee-as-Fletch scenes, which would comprise the bulk of the movie, which would most likely end with another scene with Chevy wrapping everything up (basically, a "and that's the story of my first mystery" scene). As I said, Kevin Smith wants to use Chase, despite the bad blood between them, so the ball is completely in Chevy's court. If he decided not to do the movie, the whole device could be totally removed and the film could be presented as a straight "Fletch" story without the flashback stuff. In any case, Jason Lee is perfect for "Fletch", and any hard-core "Fletch" fans (and I mean hard-core "Fletch" novel fans, not the funny-but-poorly-adapted movie) have nothing to worry about if Kevin Smith on board, as he promises to keep the screenplay as faithful to Gregory McDonald's book as possible, so there will be no "Snoochie Boochies" whatsoever. And, to answer your question, Universal would be foolish not to release a "Fletch" SE and the first-ever "Fletch Lives" (which is an absolutely terrible movie, by the way) DVD to coincide with the release of "Fletch Won". If there's anything you can count on with DVD's, it's that regardless of rights and stuff like that, someone will always try to cash in on a new movie's release. When "Red Dragon" came out, MGM released a 2-pack of "Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal". When "Mr. Deeds" came out, the original "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" was released. To cash in on the upcoming release of "Hulk", Anchor Bay is releasing a 2-disc set of 2 "Incredible Hulk" TV movies, etc.
Thanks for the vast information, it's much appreciated. I could get into the Chase narration aspect, but I can't see any way that would happen. But I would definately be behind it if it did!

However, as for the movie, I do have my doubts. I can see by your name your a Smith fan, as am I, and as a fellow Jerseyan, I root extra hard for him. But that said, I think he's a good director of Kevin Smith movies, and I don't know his value beyond that. Fletch walks a fine line of ironic humor and geniune suspense(or close to genuine). I'm very anxious to see "Jersey Girl", which appears to be his first true departure from formula(despite the rumored Jay and Silent Bob return). But in so many ways, he's remade the same movie 6 times, with different plots. To be honest, I'd rather a guy like John Herzfeld take the helm. While his talent is dubious at best, I think he showed some sparks to make the most of this material in the Don King TV movie and Two Days in the Valley(love the former, loathe the latter, but it's the best of the Tarantino clones in my book). The bonus of a Herzfeld over a Smith is that he won't feel the need(or frankly have the ego) to impose his own style that could in anyway constrict McDonald's character(s).

As for any possible special edition of Fletch and Fletch lives, I would hope they are at least compiling the material for such an endeavor, especially considering the fact that Michael Ritchie died a couple of years back, so unless it's in the vault, no director commentary. Hopefully we'd get a Chase and possibly a Gregory McDonald(the Fletch author) commentary.
Old 05-04-03, 11:12 PM
Banned

I doubt we would see a Gregory McDonald commentary because he's pretty disinterested in the Chevy Chase movies. I believe I read at his website that he once saw "Fletch" on TV. I doubt he would be able to contribute much to a commentary track. Maybe they could do a documentary on the novels. As for Smith doing the movie, I have two things to say about it: the movie wouldn't be happening without him, and he's promised to be faithful to the novel. As a "Fletch" fan (more a fan of the novels than the movies) I'm glad that another "Fletch" is even being considered, and I'm especially glad that a fan is the one behind it.
Old 05-05-03, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sure hope they release a special edition and get Fletch Lives out on DVD soon. Just for the record i love both films and the books. If you haven't read any of the books, do yourself a favor and pick one up.

Is there any news of a new Fletch book?
Old 05-05-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I could have sworn I heard Chase was trying to finagle some involvment that Lee was to be Fletch Jr., the result of an Irwin R. Fletcher one night stand?
Isn't it Irwin M. Fletcher?
Anyway, I'd LOVE an SE too, but the current release is OK in the meantime.
Old 05-05-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by uteotw
Isn't it Irwin M. Fletcher?
Anyway, I'd LOVE an SE too, but the current release is OK in the meantime.
You are correct sir, and I deserve to be acosted by Arnold Pants, esq. for such egregiousness.
Old 05-09-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shaggy
Is there any news of a new Fletch book?
Of course, you made me look it up...

I think the last Fletch book was 'Fletch, reflected', in '95. I was wondering what was next, and it appears Mcdonald has a new Flynn book, 'Flynn's World' coming out later this year. Hopefully this link will work:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...727378-6186357

Of course I'll buy it, but I still have to say that, much as I like his other series (Flynn series, Skylar series), the Fletch ones are still the best.

-jason
Old 05-10-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and the first-ever "Fletch Lives" (which is an absolutely terrible movie, by the way) DVD
Say what??? I love both Fletch and Fletch Lives, but overall I find Fletch Lives to be a lot more fun to watch. I've probably seen it over 20 times now.
Old 05-10-03, 04:19 PM
Banned

"Flynn's World" was released a couple of years ago as a Barnes & Noble e-book, but at approximately $30 I doubt anyone bought it. It's the only Gregory McDonald mystery I haven't read and I'm looking forward to it's hardcopy release. And, yes, "Fletch Lives" sucks ass. An animated sequence in "Fletch"? Jesus Christ.
Old 05-10-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An animated sequence in "Fletch"? Jesus Christ.
When was there an animated sequence? Is that planned or somewhere in Fletch Lives?

And common now, how can you hate R. Lee Emery's one true acting role, Cleavon Little's last great role, Fletch as the evangelist. I'll grant you it's nowhere near the orginal Fletch(the stupid waterbug in the ear was particularly grating) but sucks ass may be a stretch. I could see how it blows, but sucks ass is harsh.
Old 05-10-03, 05:43 PM
Banned

There is a live action/animation combination (like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit") scene in "Fletch Lives". Maybe you haven't seen it in a while. R. Lee Ermey, Cleavon Little and Phil Hartman were all in the movie but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of the worst sequels ever made. It's not surprising, however, considering that they chose not to use one of Gregory McDonald's great "Fletch" books. I believe they had at least six "Fletch" books to choose from at the time "Fletch Lives" was produced and they still decided to go with a thin plot with no purpose but to get Chevy Chase in whacky disguises, a device that wasn't even in the original novels. In the novels, Fletch constantly uses pseudonyms but never wears disguises.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 05-10-03 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-12-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooo my oh my, Fletch SE

A Fletch SE DVD would make me wet my pants. I love the movie. I've read a few of the books, and I'm a HUGE Kevin Smith fan, so the idea of 'Fletch Won' knocks my socks off. Jason Lee's the only man. I've been thinking about getting the current DVD, but i'm in fear for a re-release. In fact i bought the Vacation DVD, only to find out theres a re-release in the works one week later.
Old 05-13-03, 04:48 PM
Banned

Anyways, I think it's safe to say that there's absolutely nothing to indicate that a "Fletch" SE or a "Fletch Lives" DVD is being worked on but it's also a pretty safe bet that Universal will try to cash in on "Fletch Won" whenever it's released by putting out a "Fletch" SE and a "Fletch Lives" DVD. I don't think it's a matter of whether they do it or not, so long as Kevin Smith and Jason Lee actually get to make "Fletch Won". As long as that happens, I'd bet on a "Fletch" SE and a "Feltch Lives" DVD eventually.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 05-13-03 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I would definitely not mind a Fletch SE. Though Chevy Chase has fallen from grace as far as i'm concerned, he has a couple early flicks that are worth getting.

This is one of 'em.

Hell, i'm still waiting on Modern Problems. But that's just me..
Old 05-13-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
Hell, i'm still waiting on Modern Problems. But that's just me..
It's not "just you".
My VHS copy of Modern Problems needs replacing!

"I like it."
-Max Fielder (after snorting a huge line of some strange white powder Nell Carter hooked him up with.
Old 05-13-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkflounder
It never dawned on me to ask, but who exactly DOES Miramax want to play Fletch? I mean, they sank a lot more into the awful "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" with Jason Mewes in the lead, and they lived to tell about it. Do they have a better Fletch in mind?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.