Possible Barton Fink Subtitle problem

Old 05-03-03, 06:44 AM

Possible Barton Fink Subtitle problem

I have a Sony Progressive scan 755v dvd player and this is the player I was using when this happened.

I was watching Barton Fink early this morning and had the subtitles on so I would not need the volume so loud. Well one thing I noticed was that my dvd player said there was a french subtitle track recorded on the disc. I found this weird since the cover only says spanish and english subtitles. When I selected the French subtitle track no subtitles came out so I though this was a glitch and paid no more attention to it.

Anyways, I turned the english subtitles off after a while and realized that when some writing was on screen, the subtitles would come on and translate it anyways. For example in chapter 11 when Barton goes to Mayhew's office, the sign on the door was translated as well as when we look at Barton's writing on his typewriter. Now here is the kicker, the subtitles pop up in FRENCH. I was surprised to see a French translation on screen since again there should be no French subtitle track. The subtitles popped up through out the film only when translating writing on the screen. The only way to turn the subtitles off from popping up involuntary is to go back to the main menu and turn them off. Also, the french subtitles only show up if you turn either of the subtitle tracks on while watching the movie and turn them off using your subtitle button.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

UPDATE: I tried this on my other Sony Progressive scan dvd player model # NS-700 and the same problem persists. My player says there is a french track and the writing translations do appear in french even after the subtitles are turned off.

Last edited by insanecollector; 05-03-03 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-03-03, 05:51 PM

Just picked up my Barton Fink from Sam's Club today.

I'll check it out and try to let you know if I had the same problem. I have different players than you.
Old 05-03-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ed Crane
Just picked up my Barton Fink from Sam's Club today.

I'll check it out and try to let you know if I had the same problem. I have different players than you.
btw, how much was it at Sam's Club?
Old 05-03-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by ctyankee
btw, how much was it at Sam's Club?
$13.64. Same for Miller's Crossing.

Many Sam's Clubs put this title out almost a month before street date.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=288025 if you haven't seen this.

I'll check mine also for the subtitle thing tonight.
Old 05-04-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
There is indeed a French subtitle setting (#4) but there is nothing in it as insanecollector said. There is also an extra Spanish subtitle setting (#3) with nothing there. #2 is a Spanish subtitle setting that actually has the Spanish subtitles.

But I couldn't get two players to show those French subtitles insanecollector was talking about.