Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL WWE on DVD petition thread

Old 04-29-03, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure some of you have seen this in the other current WWE thread but for those who didn't see it.

Show your support if you want full events on DVD. It's become quite clear that this may be all we have if we want event DVDs.

Don't forget to please pass this along to any and all wrestling fans you know and ask them to sign as well.

WWE DVD Petition
Old 04-29-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also give us a wrestlemaina box set.
Old 04-29-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd definately be up for some WWE events if they were priced right, and a Wrestlemania set after number 20 seems like a pretty good bet
Old 04-29-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if you can change the subject, but why ask for barebones? Damn, we are the ones buying, we might as well get all that can be had. What I'd love on any DVD's of this ilk are extras featuring any buildup to the major matches on an old event card release. For instance, a Wrestlemania III disc might feature :

-Savage crushes Steamboat's larynx on WWF Superstars, leading to their match

-Piper and Adonis feuding Piper's Pit vs. The Flower Shop, Piper legit breaks his arm on Saturday Night's Main Event

-Bulldogs vs. Harts Title change match

-Hogan vs. Andre on Piper's Pits, and the Saturday Night's Main Event before hand

I mean, chances are, they won't exactly be doing multiple releases on soon to be 20 year old wrestling cards. Lets get it right in what may be the only shot and really make these good.

Of course I'd take it anyway I can get it, but don't emphasize that a minimal verison is somehow as good as a packed edition. Maybe play up how they are preserving their legacy and history, blah blah blah.

That is, of course, unless they are really willing to go overboard and do a Hogan stlye disc on even the most marginal name in their history. Bulldogs, Honkytonk man, Brutus Beefcake, Demolition(to name a very few) are not the big names that Andre, Steamboat, Savage and the Warrior(and Bret Hart). Since I doubt we'd see that(thought they'd be fools not to, they own the back catalogue footage and it's pure profit), lets get these discs loaded up.

The WWF knows more about their business than me(though sometimes I do wonder...) and I'm sure they can't just flood the market with stuff, but they have to realstically be willing to compete for different market segments. There's no reason they couldn't be selling Jay Strongbow DVD's to 40 year olds, Bob Backlund to 30 year olds, Hogan DVD's to 20 year olds(which they have) and their current product to teens.

What would really be fantastic is if they get synergistic and produce not only NWA/WCW events, ECW events(once the bankruptcy is handled) and some other tape libraies they've negotatied(reportedly they were pursuing the AWA and UWF tape libraries, and they could also go after the Mid-South, Florida and WCCW, for a competitve price I'd bet) . This way, they could put out fantastic retrospectives on wrestlers careers(I salivate thinking of a Brian Pillman DVD covering his WCW end, ECW legendary run and WWF career). And this of course could and probably would lead to a WWF channel, which would rock!