Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How can I find old titles that I have forgotten?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many of you, I have an extensive list of films (and shows) I'd like to see on DVD. Unfortunately, I haven't written most of it down, and I am finding it hard to recall many of my favorites, especially if they have already been released (if they aren't out yet, I spot them when they are announced.)

I have tried browsing IMDB and TVShowsOnDVD, but that is just overwhelming. I have tried looking at Top 50 lists, but those are subjective, and will still miss many of my favorites.

Is there really any way to browse something that would have small chunks of shows at one time?
Old 04-23-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Option 1:
Use your DVD Profiler wishlist function? Every time I see something I think or know that I may want, I put it in my wishlist. You already have a few titles listed there, just keep adding! If you want to add 'titles not yet available' see option 2

Option 2:
Make a list in Excel and add/subtract as needed. You can even export it out to a PDA! Pretty handy way of looking up titles at the video rental store!

I do both and it works very well for me. I also have a list of OOP (out of print) DVD's on my PDA, so I can find eBay auction material! This helps fund the rest of the collection!

Sonicflood
Old 04-23-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How 'bout these:
  • Browse DVDTalk members' DVD lists (oftentimes a link is in their signature)
  • Go to Amazon.com and view their recommendations based on titles you search for
  • Send emails to yourself when you remember a title you want
  • If email is not available, write the title on your forearm

I've actually used all of these methods and my wishlist is relatively complete. Actually, I have three wishlists: one for titles that are currently available on DVD, one for preorders and another for titles that are not yet available on DVD.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I use DVDAficionado, and sometimes I'll choose one of my more esoteric titles and click "who's got it" this gives me a list of other users that have it. Click on their name and their collection appears. I've found many titles for my wishlist this way.
Old 04-23-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do it the old way. I keep a 180 page spiral notebook that lists all recent information that I've gathered from about 30 different sites. it's updated everyday.
Old 04-23-03, 11:14 PM
Rest in Peace

The IMDb is not just titles I belong and go to the boards, did you know there is a board for every movie they have on from 1890?

There is 'I have to know', then let the whole world 'help' you search old titles. I am 56 years old how many movies have I seen? I am always coming up with a possible title. I may be on WebTV but I use all the knowledge to pursue my hobby of watching my favorites old and new.

I hope you join us or hope you find your movies some other way.
Old 04-23-03, 11:51 PM

<Sean Connery> Dolly Parton </Sean Connery>