Community
Search

Complete TV series on DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 12:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete TV series on DVDs?

Now that more and more complete seasons are coming out on DVD, it would seem that the previous method of putting a few episodes per disc should become a thing of greed past. This shows that a reasonable price for around 22 or more hours of programming should run approximately around $60.00 or less.

Of course, there are some series that are being released that are considerably more expensive than that (i.e. the STAR TREK series), but one hopes after corporate greed has squeezed all they can get out of their hardcore fan base, they may lower the cost to a level where others (such as myself) may consider purchasing them.

I do wonder what the best way would be to let the DVD manufacturers know what complete series we would be interested in buying. If there were a website set up with a vast majority of TV & cartoon series listed where people could log in votes (only 1 vote per show per person, of course), I think that would be very useful especially if the data were available to all the marketing personnel of the DVD companies.

Any other thoughts on this? And also, just for fun...what TV and cartoon series(s) would you most like to see on DVD?

have a wonderful holiday,

Galina
Old 04-19-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd love to see the original Flintstones cartoon (1960-'66) on DVD..That would be a big seller IMO I have no clue which studio owns them

My second choice would be The Looney Toones cartoons which are definitely coming out this fall/winter according to Warner Brothers..

1 out of 2 ain't bad
Old 04-19-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Complete TV series on DVDs?

Originally posted by Kimiakane
I do wonder what the best way would be to let the DVD manufacturers know what complete series we would be interested in buying. If there were a website set up with a vast majority of TV & cartoon series listed where people could log in votes (only 1 vote per show per person, of course), I think that would be very useful especially if the data were available to all the marketing personnel of the DVD companies.
You mean like TVShowsonDVD.com?
I have no idea if studio execs check out that site, but I sure hope they do.

In addition to the more popular, long-running shows, I wish they'd release more short-lived shows on DVD, like they did with Sports Night. 45 episodes, the entire two-season run, with an SRP of only $60. I'd never seen the show, but because of the low price, and all the great reviews, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did! It's a great show, easily deserving of all the praise it's received, and more.

Some other short-lived shows that I'd love to see released in complete series sets are Square Pegs (20 eps), Gidget (32 eps) and Bette (16 eps, plus two unaired).

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 04-19-03 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You sure have a thing against the studio's and the "Greed" they sleep in...

Listen, not every Show production is the same. Cost vary and other factors come into play, Syndication of course is one of those. Is the show still bringing in a great deal of money through syndication, then it will of course have that to deal with first before they start talking about the dvd/vhs sales.

Marketing personnel of the dvd companies really are only going to be involved in marketing the products they have already, though I'm sure they would be glad to hear which shows the public wants to see, but voting itself on the internet is tough, a lot of it can be altered by folks telling others to vote for said shows and then stuffing votes is another issue.

The best way to get them to know.. Just tell them. Hell, maybe you don't have to even tell them. They are not clueless and it's not like someone said "Hey, I don't think anyone would want Sinfield, so lets make M*A*S*H" instead. They have to look at who has the rights to the show, if two companies own it then it's a bit tougher and of course if it goes down to the production company that created it that decides if it's time to make some back end profit on the show yet.

Now on the point about price drops. I'm pretty sure the box sets will not see many price drops just because all thier Hardcore fan base have all bought them. some of those sets are just expensive simply because they cost that much to make with a profit. Show production is very pricey, not to mention marketing and of course the distribution and production of said disc. Lots of factors to put into place if you ask me.
Old 04-19-03, 04:48 PM

trust me, all tv shows care about is ratings... and money...

so much legal crap involved in the whole thing, its really unreal any ever get released at all...???