Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Dvd's where the dif between dts and dd are like night and day?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only one I can think of is "True Romance" but my brother probably wouldn't be interested in that one (he is the one who doesn't really think there is a major differnece.)
Anybody out there who can find dvd's where there is a major differnce (and where it is easy to flip between tracks.) He has a sonic blue dvd/home theater system in his room and in the basement is a sony 400 watt htib.)
Old 04-12-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Try the ice field sequence in Titan AE. That sucker rumbles!
Old 04-13-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Metropolis (anime) - Huge difference
Old 04-13-03, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can find a copy of it that won't cost you a kidney, Dragonheart - DTS sounds incredible. One of the best DTS tracks I've heard, and it blows almost any DD5.1 track away.

DD5.1 isn't bad, either. Resident Evil has an awesome DD5.1 track.
Old 04-13-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's never night & day. DD still rocks.
Old 04-13-03, 11:27 AM
boe
Suspended

I'd say my superbit version of Fifth Element's sound is much more dynamic than my older version
Old 04-13-03, 11:58 AM

When you say night and day that's a huge difference and the difference between DD and DTS is not that big.
Old 04-13-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dts version of Akira. Blows DD away. You can see for yourself, since the dts track, and DD are both included. the dts track is original language track also.
Check it out. I frequently use this disc as a demo, so people can hear the difference.
Old 04-13-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
The difference between DTS and DD is in favour of DD in Pearl Harbor the director's cut. The DTS track just doesn't have the same kick as as the DD track has.

i'm not trying to be different, though. I just felt it needed to be said.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-13-03 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 12:19 AM

The dts version of Akira. Blows DD away. You can see for yourself, since the dts track, and DD are both included. the dts track is original language track also.
One in English and the other in Japanese means completely different source masters which makes any comparison meaningless.

Agree with some above. The difference is never "night & day", and when the DTS track is 754 kb/s (almost always) and both tracks use the same master, the Dolby track will generally have slightly stronger bass and a bit more clarity in the highest frequencies. The amount of difference one actually hears depends greatly on the associated hardware.
Old 04-14-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can only guess since I only have the DTS, but I am sure it is true.. We Were Soldiers DTS R3 is just incredible. Never thought DTS could be like that!
Old 04-14-03, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I think Gladiator may have had a better DTS soundtrack.
Old 04-14-03, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Night and day would be The Rock: Criterion. Only on this one, DD blows away DTS.
Old 04-14-03, 07:21 AM

DTS on Laserdisc, it destroyed all of the DD versions!!
Old 04-14-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DANTE'S PEAK
THE RIVER WILD
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE
SPEED
AIR FORCE ONE
THE MUMMY
Old 04-14-03, 11:27 AM

If you do find one that's "night and day" it'd be because they used different mixes (it's a conspiracy), not because of the encoding. And that would be cheating your brother.
Old 04-14-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On Escaflowne Ultimate Edition the bass on the DTS track packs quite a punch but the high end can sound really shrilly (especially when characters say anything with an "s" sound) so it's sometimes no very fun to listen to as opposed to the DD track that although it can sound shrilly at times (as I understand they used the same mix for both the DTS and DD tracks) but not so much as the DTS. I suppose this is cos the DTS sounds way louder than the DD and it makes this nuisance in the audio of this film more noticable.

On the other hand, I prefer the DTS track of The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition over the DD track (though the latter is quite unlike the overly loud DD mix found in the earlier LOTR:FOTR DVD release). I've switched between both tracks in different scenes and haven't really noticed any difference between the tracks but I can't help but prefer the DTS track.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-14-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any of the Die Hards.
Old 04-14-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW can anyone answer a question that's really been bugging me? As far as I understand these days audio mixes are lower so as to preserve dynamic range and lessen clipping. If this is the case wouldn't any of the benefits people claim DTS has over DD be obviated since DTS tracks are encoded much louder than DD mixes? Or am I missing some vital piece of information in this equation?

I just want to add that I'm not dissing DTS here. I'm just truly confused when it comes to dynamic range. This is because I've read so many reviews regarding certain DVD releases where it's commented about the DTS track having better dynamic range than the DD track AND being louder than the DD track. This confuses me as I've also read that the louder the audio track is the more compressed the dynamic range of said audio track becomes.
Old 04-14-03, 04:45 PM

try Out of Sight. The DTS version's sound is noticeably deeper and the music is much more pronounced and in the foreground. The DD track, everything seemed much more mixed together. Right off the bat you can tell when the Universal logo comes out and it has that swish sound. If you liked the soundtrack, definitely get the DTS.
Old 04-14-03, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by matrixrok9
Night and day would be The Rock: Criterion. Only on this one, DD blows away DTS.
very true
Old 04-14-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously can someone answer my question or at least point me towards somewhere I'd be likely to find the answer I seek?
Old 04-14-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jurrasic Park DTS corrected version sounds better in terms of bass. Saving Private Ryan DTS may be in there too.

LOTR Extended sounds much different - not sure which track is better. The dd has much more bass, but the DTS has better highs it seems.
Old 04-14-03, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RocShemp
Seriously can someone answer my question or at least point me towards somewhere I'd be likely to find the answer I seek?
I can't
Old 04-14-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
BTW can anyone answer a question that's really been bugging me? As far as I understand these days audio mixes are lower so as to preserve dynamic range and lessen clipping. If this is the case wouldn't any of the benefits people claim DTS has over DD be obviated since DTS tracks are encoded much louder than DD mixes? Or am I missing some vital piece of information in this equation?

I just want to add that I'm not dissing DTS here. I'm just truly confused when it comes to dynamic range. This is because I've read so many reviews regarding certain DVD releases where it's commented about the DTS track having better dynamic range than the DD track AND being louder than the DD track. This confuses me as I've also read that the louder the audio track is the more compressed the dynamic range of said audio track becomes.
I think dynamic range is something that can go real quiet and subtle for one scene and blow you away the next scene. Take a look at songs for example. Uh, Stairway to heaven (listening to right now on computer) has an excellent dynamic range. The begining is real quiet and sets the (you think) mood of the song. Play it for someone who has never heard it before (trust me, there are people that have never heard stairway before), and when it starts, it sounds like its a nice slow acoustic ballad. Then the pace picks up and so does the volume, and by the end of the song, its a hard, heavy and loud rock song, when at the begining it was just an ordinary acoustic ballad and that is why most people still to this day like it.
I hope I answered your question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.