Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Which Miyazaki film to get next???

Which Miyazaki film to get next???

Old 03-23-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We got the Ghibli set on import a few years ago. Just could not wait. Our son is 2 1/2 and apparently likes "Totoro" in Japanese. Sometimes being a parent is the coolest thing in the world. We waited until he hopefully would see enough in it to enjoy. Kids who yell and laugh loudly and hang out with giant stuffed "bears" is apparently just right.
Old 03-23-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like all of Miyazaki's films (I've seen them all) but my favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service. It's also probably my favorite Anime...
Old 03-23-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of what you listed I would say watch Laputa, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Although they aren't Mizyiaki films and released in the US, I have to highly recomend Whisper of the Heart, and I can hear the Ocean.
Old 03-24-04, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

You know, I never liked Kiki, I sold mine recently. I thought Castle in the Sky was much better
Old 03-24-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by nqle57
You know, I never liked Kiki, I sold mine recently. I thought Castle in the Sky was much better
I'm the opposite here. Prefered Kiki, but I can't wait for the next batch.
Old 03-24-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by Preacher
We got the Ghibli set on import a few years ago. Just could not wait. Our son is 2 1/2 and apparently likes "Totoro" in Japanese. Sometimes being a parent is the coolest thing in the world. We waited until he hopefully would see enough in it to enjoy. Kids who yell and laugh loudly and hang out with giant stuffed "bears" is apparently just right.
Make sure this isn't a bootleg... I know there was a bootleg box set released, and I'm not sure if there was a legit box set, or not.

The DVD set from an outfit called "Anime Cartoon International" (now known as "Manga International", not to be confused with "Manga Entertainment") is a definite bootleg.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/answers.html
Old 03-24-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Make sure this isn't a bootleg... I know there was a bootleg box set released, and I'm not sure if there was a legit box set, or not.

The DVD set from an outfit called "Anime Cartoon International" (now known as "Manga International", not to be confused with "Manga Entertainment") is a definite bootleg.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/answers.html
Aye it's a boot. Got tired of hunting them down. We got 11 all at once. For a boot they did a great job. And for those bothered by this or DVDT policy we have already bought 2 of them legit again.

Last edited by Preacher; 03-24-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Preacher, if your kid is 2 1/2, he would probably love Panda! Go Panda! This was released by Pioneer, and has been re-released at a much lower price from Geneon's Signature Series.

I love Panda! Go Panda!, my 70 year-old mom loves it, and my 2 neices (age 6 and 11) absolutely love it.
Old 03-24-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish disney could lean from Miyazaki. anyone from 1 to 101 could love his films.
Old 03-24-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Preacher, if your kid is 2 1/2, he would probably love Panda! Go Panda! This was released by Pioneer, and has been re-released at a much lower price from Geneon's Signature Series.

I love Panda! Go Panda!, my 70 year-old mom loves it, and my 2 neices (age 6 and 11) absolutely love it.
We will try it. Thanks.
Old 03-25-04, 12:24 AM

Get Kiki's. That's got to be one of my favorite movies of all time. It just puts you in a good mood everytime you watch it.
Old 03-25-04, 02:03 AM

Princess Mononoke or My Neighber Totoro.

Of your listed items, Castle in the Sky.
Old 03-25-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of all Miyazaki's films, I loved Princess Mononoke best. But I also agree to those who mention Kiki and Totoro. I haven't watched Cagliostro and Nausicaa, though.