Which Miyazaki film to get next???

Old 04-18-03, 10:17 PM

Which Miyazaki film to get next???

I just saw and LOVED Spirited Away; But which Miyazaki film should I buy next; Castle in the sky or Kikis Delivery Service? Thanks.
Old 04-18-03, 10:21 PM
Suspended

I'd recommend Princess Mononoke over those two, but if you've already seen it, go with Castle in the Sky (I like the bigger adventures).
Old 04-18-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

KiKi...
Old 04-18-03, 10:28 PM

I say Kiki out of those you listed, but don't forget about "The Castle of Cagliostro" since it's also available on DVD...
Old 04-19-03, 01:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

The Castel of Cagliostroga is awesome indeed.
Old 04-19-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the recommendations. I was very impressed with Spirited Away as well.
Old 04-19-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well really you can't go wrong with any of the titles mentioned. Although I personally prefer adventure films like Cagliostro and Castle in the Sky, Kiki is probably a better follow-up to Spirited Away. Definately get 'em all though.

My Neighbor Totoro is also pretty good, although unfortunately it's only available currently as a full screen dub from Fox. It'll probably be a few years yet til Disney puts out a proper version.
Old 04-19-03, 03:17 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get 'em all

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/films
Old 04-19-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kiki's
Old 04-19-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Absolutely ALL of them.
Old 04-19-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke--in addition to the brilliant animation--are a bit more interesting to many adults because they're so steeped in Japanese myth and culture... They've got a bit more "highbrow" appeal, if you want to call it that...

That said, they're all terrific. The artistry is just as striking in his earlier works... Laputa/Castle in the Sky is a fairly straightforward adventure story, as is Castle of Cagliostro--although the latter is a movie version of a long-running TV series with (for me) limited appeal. Kiki is a very simple girl-empowerment fable about a young witch on her own... How much you like them may depend on your tolerance for kid's stories... Kiki in particular, has a very strong "Barbie girl, you can do anything!" vibe, but it's every bit as gorgeous as Miyazaki's other work, and it is easy to see why other animators find it so inspiring.
Old 04-19-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kiki...
Old 04-19-03, 03:02 PM

judging by the way these are selling i wouldn't be surprised if we saw more of these in future. A good release of Totoro is probably on the way but maybe more than a year off.

what do you guys think?
Old 04-20-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by yojimbo1
judging by the way these are selling i wouldn't be surprised if we saw more of these in future. A good release of Totoro is probably on the way but maybe more than a year off.

what do you guys think?
In one of the featurettes on Spirited Away, one of Miyazaki's collegues says that Disney got the rights to "all" his films...

Cagliostro was pre-Ghibli, so it may not be included in the deal... But assuming these sell well, I'd expect the rest of them to come along, too...

Thanks for the link, eau -- seems there's quite a few Miyazakis and other Ghibli films I've yet to see...
Old 04-20-03, 01:21 AM

How come no one's said Grave of the Fireflies. True it's not Miyazaki per se, but coming from Studio Ghibli, it'll definitely has a large influence from Miyazaki. I think this is amongst my top 5 Ghibli movies along with Spirited Away, Mononoke, Totoro, and Nausicaa.
Old 04-20-03, 01:57 AM

you're gonna buy one more and like it and then buy another, so save the extra trip and just buy them all.
Old 04-20-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brombie
How come no one's said Grave of the Fireflies. True it's not Miyazaki per se, but coming from Studio Ghibli, it'll definitely has a large influence from Miyazaki. I think this is amongst my top 5 Ghibli movies along with Spirited Away, Mononoke, Totoro, and Nausicaa.
Three other films by Takahata (Ghibli's other high-profile director, the one who made Fireflies) were also part of the Disney/Ghibli deal... Let's hope we see them as well... Only Yesterday, Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas...
Old 04-20-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

April 15, 2004:

Another Mayazaki 3 pack:

My Neighbor Totoro
Porco Rosso
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

(We can only hope!)

(And yes, I'd love to see a Takahata three pack too!)
Old 04-20-03, 11:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

So which Miyazaki films have good (official) NTSC-Region 2/3 releases? I heard Porco Rosso has a good R2 version. Does it have English subs? Figured we go this direction since the answer to the title is "all of them"!
Old 04-20-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
April 15, 2004:

Another Mayazaki 3 pack:

My Neighbor Totoro
Porco Rosso

(We can only hope!)

Oh man, I hope they get released sooner than that!!!
Old 04-20-03, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
So which Miyazaki films have good (official) NTSC-Region 2/3 releases? I heard Porco Rosso has a good R2 version. Does it have English subs? Figured we go this direction since the answer to the title is "all of them"!
All the R2 (Japanese) releases have at least English subtitles and many have English dubs - and dubtitles (Castle of Cagliostro, Laputa, Totoro, Kiki). All of them also have a second disk with the full storyboards as an alternate angle to the original movie. There are also trailers and additional extra features on the second disk, but none are translated from Japanese. Finally, these have the original soundtracks, which means that except for Whisper of the Heart, Yamadas, and Spirited away they're stereo only. Some additional things:

Castle of Cagliostro: new transfer, much better than the US one but the dub is an older less accurate one, and there are dubtitles only.

Porco Rosso: includes French dub

Pon Poko: includes French subtitles

My Neighbors the Yamadas: includes French subtitles and DTS 5.1

Spirited Away: includes DTS 6.1 and French dub, but no English dub

Also, Nausicaa hasn't been released yet, and The Cat Returns is coming in July. There are also a number of Miyazaki TV specials in this line such as Panda Go Panda, Sherlock Dog, I Can Hear the Sea, etc - but I haven't bought any of those. :-)

Last edited by btribble; 04-20-03 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 12:36 AM

There is also Panda go Panda. These are 2 short films that Miyazaki did before he became a director. The animation is very old school because it was made in the 70's
Old 04-21-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by paratize
Oh man, I hope they get released sooner than that!!!
Oh, me, too, but Nausicaa isn't even out in R2 yet...
Old 03-23-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seeker
April 15, 2004:

Another Mayazaki 3 pack:

My Neighbor Totoro
Porco Rosso

(We can only hope!)

Ok, only missed the date!

August 31, 2004 instead of April 15....
Old 03-23-04, 08:41 PM

august is so far away... oh well, glad i held off on picking up totoro

to OP, i'd get princess monoke next.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.