Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

hollywood video 2 for 20 missing inserts?

Old 04-16-03, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought 4 DVDs with hollywood video's 2 for 20 special, and they are all missing there inserts. At first I thought some of them just didnt have them, but when I opened them all, they were all missing. Did anyone have the same expierence I did? should I return them and get ones with inserts?
Old 04-16-03, 10:16 PM

They take the inserts out, I've never had one from there that still had its insert. Some stores keep them I've heard, but none I've been to.
Old 04-16-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hollywood video never include inserts in their previously viewed DVDS
Old 04-17-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had luck once on a copy of Bless The Child many moons ago!
Old 04-17-03, 12:18 AM
Cool New Member

Hollywood's rental DVDs are processed at one of their 2 distribution centers and then sent to the stores. The inserts aren't sent along with the DVDs so when it comes time to sell them as PV all there will be is the disc inside.
Old 04-17-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can try asking at the store if they have any of the inserts, sometimes they actually do. I don't know about what deepmilk says, I know the Hollywoods I go to often unseal and prepare there own DVDs for rental, so it's entirely possible that one of yours does too. It's still a crapshoot with the insert though, sometimes they get saved, sometimes they don't
Old 04-17-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've bought a couple from there before and they DID have their inserts.
Old 04-17-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never gotten an insert in any PVD I bought from them. Doesn't bug me, though.
Old 04-17-03, 02:51 PM

Does anyone actually USE the inserts. Even the information inserts I've never read. Guess it's a preference thing. I would never notice if my inserts were missing.
Old 04-17-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's a booklet w/ movie info, etc... I'll scan through it and read anything that looks interesting. If it's just a slip of paper w/ a tiny pic and chapter listings (like 99% of them are) I roll my eyes and think, "What a waste of paper"

No offense to anyone who likes inserts, that isn't meant to be a thread crap. But could someone who really likes the inserts and always must have the inserts explain to me why? I don't see the point, I guess.
Old 04-17-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by darth bird
Does anyone actually USE the inserts. Even the information inserts I've never read. Guess it's a preference thing. I would never notice if my inserts were missing.
Don't care for 'em either.
Old 04-17-03, 03:57 PM

""What a waste of paper"

This shouldn't even be an issue seeing as how horribly we waste paper 300x worse than this every day. But on to more important things....

Hollywood does prepare their DVDs within the respective stores. I have seen this take place in Hollywoods throughout the country.

On top of that, they are all converted to single sized amaray cases even Snappers get special cover art to be supplied with the Keep Cases, so anyone who is concerned with the original packaging should look elsewhere...

just a heads up, for some reason I felt compelled to say that, since thats one of the only reasons I don't buy Hollywood PV DVD's but I'm an anal bitch like that...

have a nice day you all.
Old 04-17-03, 04:02 PM
Suspended

I tend to walk away from block buster w/ a bunch of inserts when I rent movies (for chapter reference)... maybe some people like me walked into hollywood video and do the same thing...maybe that's why you don't have 'em when you buy 'em...
Old 04-17-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been told that HV cuts a special deal with their suppliers to use all keep-cases and to never include inserts for all new releases - they may have backstock from a couple of years ago that still includes inserts. The standardization is suppossed to save them money. I find the lack of inserts a minor annoyance, but I actually LOVE the keep-case editions of movies that are otherwise only available in snappers (God how I hate snappers). The only problem with the snappers-as-keepcase editions is that they usually lack UPC bar codes which makes entry into DVD Profiler difficult.
Old 04-18-03, 01:00 AM

ok, I called hollywood video in my area (the one near my house), and they said that they do not include inserts with there dvds.... but I did buy momento a few months ago and it did have inserts... but oh well... I got what i want... even thought I still approve of a complete product, it still is a dvd isn't it?

Last edited by UncleCaveman; 04-18-03 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-18-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I didn't even notice the inserts weren't in there until I read this thread - first time buying from HV. Guess that shows how much I pay attention to the inserts.
Old 04-18-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys,

What are some good movie finds you have come across at Hollywood Video's "2 for 20" dvd bargain.

All I saw were a bunch of Fear.com's, pluto nash's, banger sisters and some other movies I don't care for?

Anyone find something better?
Old 04-18-03, 06:22 PM

I work for the the Hollywood disturbution center in Lavergne, TN. We do not get the movies unopened and then open them. We get two boxes per movie: One with the disc and the other with the cover. We feed the covers into the machine and it puts the covers in the locking cases. Then we put the disc in the case and then lock it up. We get NO INSERTS whatsoever. There is not one Hollywood video that I know of that does their own conversion. The only time a store will do their own conversion is when they pull sell thru movies and put them out as rentals.
Old 04-18-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PacMan2006 - I recently picked up:

The Fast Runner
The Rules of Attraction
Freeze Me
Amy's O
Roger Dodger
White Oleander
About a Boy
Igby Goes Down
Happy Accidents
My Wife is an Actress
Bread & Tulips
Cherish
Dinner Rush
Rain

and a few more I don't remeber off the top of my head.
Old 04-19-03, 03:12 AM

Oh no! I didnt get any inserts with my dvds i got.