Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"NYPD Blue: Season 01": No audio on "previously on" segments?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my "NYPD Blue: Season 01" set, I'm getting no audio on the "previously on NYPD Blue" segments, at least on most episodes on the first two discs. (I haven't checked any discs beyond that.)
Anyone else experiencing this?
It's a shame, because otherwise this set is terrific: great picture, great audio and great show.
Old 04-03-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No problem here. But I did have a problem elsewhere.

Disc 2, Ep.6(Title: Tempest in a C-cup). Had an audio drop out. for something like 15 secs. It is 4 mins. in and Andy and John are in Fancy's office. Andy goes to speak and it sounds like he is in a cave. Then John speaks and it is back to normal.

Anyone else?
Old 04-03-03, 03:29 PM

Thanks, Michael, for replying.

Based on your response, I tried my discs in another player (Malata) and the "previously's" DO have sound! But there's no audio when I play them on my Sony S500D.
This is the third DVD I've bought lately that seems to have compatibility problems with my Sony player (until now I've had no problems for four or five years!).

I checked the scene you're referring to in "Tempest in a C-Cup" and it seems like Sipowicz's voice was put into the front surround speakers rather than the center speaker for that particular line of dialogue. His later lines in the same scene return to the center speaker.
This may account for the weird, reverberating sound you're hearing on that particular line of dialogue.

All things considered, this set is still great. And I'd forgotten how good "NYPD Blue" was in the beginning!

Thanks again,
Adam
Old 04-03-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, there are a couple of lines of dialog that seem to be inproperly encoded (coming from wrong speakers, very echoey).

Other than that (and the slooow, annoying menus), this is a fantastic set. I thought the Season 1 documentary was great -- I look forward to the next 10 or so.
Old 04-03-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

OMG, some animated menus are cool, and this one is definitely cool. But damn it is slow. It gets on my nerves.
Old 04-05-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had more audio problems on disc 3. Ep. 9 and 10. Same deal as above. I guess it was encoded into the wrong channel.
Old 04-05-03, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
OMG, some animated menus are cool, and this one is definitely cool. But damn it is slow. It gets on my nerves.
agreed.
i hate the menus.
the first time it was going through the transition, i thought there was something wrong with the disk.

very annoying when you're skipping past a couple episodes on the disk.