Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: The Deep

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't find any review for this movie on any of the DVD websites. Is this movie worth buying?
Old 04-08-01, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It‘s good schlock and Robert Shaw is always worth watching as is Jacqueline Bisset’s chest which seems to be the main reason the movie got made - not that I’m complaining. Unfortunately this version is the theatrical cut and not the long promised 53 minute longer TV version. Aside from that the transfer is adequate, a little gritty and there are no extras at all. Good old fashioned entertainment with some very nice eye-candy.
Old 04-08-01, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the review Jonathan. Is the movie rewatchable? Is the story good? Based on your review I may end up buying this.
Old 04-09-01, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was just watching this this morning, and apart from some (purposely) underlit underwater scenes i find this disc actually has a VERY good anamorphic transfer...certainly on par with most of columbias other fine work.
i also think the movie is a pretty good adventure story . not only do you have Shaw, who's always fun to watch, but Nick Nolte and Jackie Bisset have great chemistry and also turn in good preformances. and there's a really solid supporting cast. also, for a change the story is told from their point-of-veiw as a couple and it's not another men only action movie. if you've gone on vacation out of the country with a girlfriend to a part of the world you two have never been before, it'll probably resonate a little more. since it came out the summer of Star Wars and Spy who Loved Me and probably dissapointed people who were expecting another Jaws (same author) it never really made much of an impression (except for bissets wet-t dive in the beginning). for $15 i think its a pretty good buy.
Old 04-09-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Unfortunately this version is the theatrical cut and not the long promised 53 minute longer TV version. [/B]

You know where I can get that???
Ive been looking for a copy of that forever. I tried finding it on laserdisc when I had LD. Are they planning a DVD of it? I hope so.
Old 04-09-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm, does this movie really need an extra 53 minutes? This is a nice water adventure movie. I particularly like the underwater sequences. If they added some more underwater action I'd appreciate it, but even 20 more minutes of footage here might spoil a working flick.

Just my opinion.

-Beebs