Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Sleepy Hollow DVD movie review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Sleepy Hollow DVD movie review

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks a lot!

I thought it was an ok movie, nothing great, but it may be better upon viewing on DVD.. any truth to this?

hows the DVD?

what are your opinions on Sleepy Hollow?
Old 04-07-01, 09:14 PM

The DVD is quite good. It is a considerable improvement over past Paramount DVDs.
Old 04-07-01, 09:19 PM
Banned

i thought the movie was terrible and a bastardization of the story. not worth a re-watch
Old 04-08-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't too into the story. But if you are a fan of Tim Burton and his visual style, this is worth checking out; maybe even a purchase. I bought a used copy from Blockbuster. I can't vouch much for the storyline, but I enjoyed Burton's imagery throughout.
Old 04-08-01, 01:07 AM
Suspended

Wow, I guess I'm the only one here who really loved the reinvisionment of the original story. I've also shared this movie with all my friends and they all really liked it too. I don't know what's wrong with us.

I must admit that I am a Burton fan and anything he touches becomes gold to me. I own all the Burton DVDs except for Ed Wood cause it is out yet and that angers me. But maybe it's for the better because when it's released it'll be with a wonderful 2002 transfer that shines up like a new penny.
Old 04-08-01, 07:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

great movie, worth a purchase. i thought the story was very good,fantastic updating while keeping the essentials of the characters. burton's visuals are spectacular, burton depp combination creates another stunner.
Old 04-08-01, 08:58 AM
Suspended

I thought the movie was great. I didn't buy it yet, just rented it. it's on my "get it someday" list Only thing I didn't like about the story was the villan in the end just talking way too much
Old 04-08-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought this movie sight unseen and really enjoyed it. What surprised me was when 3 friends came over they requested to watch this movie and all of them enjoyed too. I have watched it 3 times and have enjoyed it each time. Its a good movie to watch at night or once a year around Halloween. I'm not saying its a great movie, but it is pretty darn good.

The DVD transfer is great and the extras are pretty good as well.

[Edited by DVDjunkie21 on 04-08-01 at 09:04 AM]
Old 04-08-01, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dvd is pretty good, the visuals are really cool, the movie is decent, but I have a problem with what the motivation for the villain turns out to be. That was really the only let down for me. I mean think about it, for those of you who have seen it.

The thing that bothers me: (spoiler)
Spoiler:
The villain woman, basically spends her whole life trying to kill and destroy the entire family, because when she was young, her family was kicked out the house they were living in, because it was owned by that family? Seems like she blew things a bit out of proportion.

[Edited by TheMadMonk on 04-08-01 at 09:05 AM]
Old 04-08-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could never get into this film. It looked great but lacked any substance.

Maybe i'll rent it and give it another chance....
Old 04-08-01, 01:14 PM

Great visuals, but a lousy story. What's with all the characters named "Van-something-or-other"? Most of them were dead in the first 10 minutes of the film, so when Johnny Depp started rambling on about how all of them were involved in the plot, I was lost.

The film had a terrible ending also. Could we please have a horror film where the killer doesn't give a speech at the end carefully explaining their oh-so-elaborate scheme?
Old 04-09-01, 12:43 AM

This film is an obvious homage to the great horror films of Hammer Studios. Christopher Lee has a cameo as a judge early on. As I watched and realized its lineage I enjoyed it much more. Do not take it seriously, it is a romp, a highly polished semi-precious stone.
Old 04-09-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What you think about the movie itself aside (I can't beleive how many people are complaining about it not having substance, what not.....did you actually expect any? I didn't. I was expecting a goofy Depp/Burton ride.)
The dvd looks astounding. Quite an accomplishment with a movie this dark.
Old 04-09-01, 04:52 PM

The use of the grey-blue filter for indoor and red-yellow filter for outdoor shots is a magical touch by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, and it adds a great feel to the magnificent storytelling by Tim Burton. The acting is also first class, with some darn good FX. This is a very good horror film, which I did not hesitate to buy. Do not miss it.
Old 04-09-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Striking looking ho-hum dark mystery flick. It actually looks and works better for me on DVD (I also picked this up for 6.99 from BB from a PVD sale).

Playing in my bedroom, this movie has a more unsettling effect than it did in a well populated theater. Alone, at night, this movie gets the couple of notches more scare that it needs... and the DVD transfer and sound work their magic a little, too.

Definitely not for someone looking for a faithful redition of the classic...

-Beebs