Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Can you do Nurse Betty please?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Can you do Nurse Betty please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to get it and then decided against it. But now Wal-Mart has it for a little over $16. And I have a $50 card that is burning a hole in my pants. So anyone see the DVD yet? Thanks.

Shawn

[Edited by TheV on 04-03-01 at 07:34 PM]
Old 04-03-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but I just want to say that I LOVE your choice of words for your thread.
Old 04-04-01, 08:38 AM
Banned

I already did Nurse Betty and she was the best **** I have ever had!! LOL
Old 04-05-01, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by redeyery
I already did Nurse Betty and she was the best **** I have ever had!! LOL

Just about the same type of thought went through my mind, when I saw the topic header!
Old 04-10-01, 11:18 AM
Max

I did Nurse Ratchet! lol!

Just wanted to bring this to the forefront again..anyone see it? I haven't had a chance to pick it up for rental or otherwise...I like offbeat comedys though...
Old 04-10-01, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

I had some high hopes when I rented this the other night, but I was a little disappointed after watching it. I had heard it was funny, after all, it had Chris Rock... but it just wasn't that funny. There were decent lines here and there, but not worth a purchase in my opinion. Some aspects of the storyline were just too hard to believe.. the people I saw it with weren't too impressed either. I would highly suggest renting this one first-
Old 04-10-01, 10:23 PM
Banned

When Chris Rock gets shot and yells, "DADDY!!" that was the highpoint for me. And when Morgan Freeman says, "Wesley!" a tear came to my eye, but I got over it.

Also in the deleted scenes, you get to see a more graphic version of Chris Rock's demise. Part of his forehead actually comes off. I didn't know what was worse. Him scalping Aaron Eckhart of seeing his forehead get blown off.

All in all, have some popcorn in your hand. Nurse Betty is a "popcorn" movie. I just love the way people use the term "popcorn movie" to describe a crappy film I enjoy that.

Thank you
Old 04-11-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good grief...you shoulda put a spoiler tag on that post, dude.
glad i already saw it.

it's a quirky. offbeat film that tries to follow the less traveled path as far as plotting goes. you have to buy into the inital premise ( bettys dementia due to trauma/shock) but if you can accept that the movie was pretty interesting.
RZ was good and morgan freeman was great.
it's not a truly great movie, but it is it's own movie and not another retread of the same old same old. so for that i give it some slack and credit.
i bought it for $20. wish i'd known wal-mart would have it that cheap.
Old 04-12-01, 05:55 PM

I watched NB last night and although it was average in most ways, there were a few hilarious exchanges between Freeman and Rock that improved the general mood of the movie. I'm going to keep my DVD but I'd can only recommend this as a rental as it's certainly an oddball movie that's not for everyone.
Old 04-12-01, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good flick, I think the duo with Morgan Freeman and Chris Rock kicked butt. (NOT A SPOILER): The scene about idiots in town and being ignorant was great. You understand after you see the film.
Old 04-15-01, 09:46 PM
Banned

This was one of last year's best.
Old 04-17-01, 07:39 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nurse Betty is one of the worst films I have ever seen, and it was probably one of the stupidest ones too. After the first 15 minutes I wanted to cut my dvd player off...it was that bad. I don't remember laughing at anything -- nothing was funny. I don't understand why anyone likes this movie, i guess because of its originality. But I don't care how original a movie is, it still needs to be entertaining.

They should change the name to Nurse Sh*tty.

wlj
Old 04-17-01, 02:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't seen it, but was looking at the features on the packaging and couldn't find it saying whether or not it was an anamorphic transfer. Can someone please confirm this?
Old 04-17-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it's anamorphic, commentaries & deleted scenes.
Old 04-18-01, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

this is my take on Nurse Betty

nurse betty was simply put, one of the best movies of last year. because it was offbeat and not instantly understandable, it inevitably suffered mixed reviews. in addition, being positioned as a "late-summer comedy" didn't exactly help the movie financially, nor did it fully describe the film. all in all, if you're able to appreciate the many different layers of social spectatorship that are critiqued/parodied by director neil labute, you will find that this movie is simultaneously witty, reflexive, heartwarming, and dark in its honesty. i will admit however, that the film is not for everyone, as the plot basis is taken to an extreme, which may or may not seem believable. nonetheless, for people who enjoyed neil labute's films in the past, this is a testament to his growth and skill as a director.
Old 04-19-01, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like listening to a pair of B52 Records, that is time that I could have put to use somewhere else. It was very fractured, flat, and unbelievable. That is just my opinion, but the group of people that I saw it with all had similar responses.