DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Godfather Trilogy Review?

Old 04-07-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen the godfather trilogy?

I saw segments of the first but thought it was kinda boring, but now I'm seeing a little of the second, and it's alright,

I hear it's the best ever blah blah, but what are they exactly about?

Think it's worth a try? seems kind of dull..

lemme know,

thanks a lot
Old 04-07-01, 11:37 PM
Banned

4 out of 4 stars for both godfather 1 and 2. 3's a throw-away. it's not terrible but it's not very good, maybe worth 2 out of 4. if you like de niro, gangster, and scorsese a lot, then it's silly that you haven't watched the first 2 godfathers. probably the only serious movies that i would classify as being excellent. part 1 is probably in my top 20
Old 04-08-01, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like Scorsese you may be disappointed as he had nothing to do with the Godfather films! But these films (especially Godfather 1 & 2) are must sees! Godfather 3 was a pretty good film in itself but it had to compete against it's prequels (which was next to impossible to live up to) thus making people give it a worse reveiw of it then it really deserved.

Old 04-08-01, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

IF you're just seeing segments, then I could understand it seeming boring. Watch the whole thing.

By many they are considered several of the best films ever made. Just rent the damn things, what do you have to lose?
Old 04-08-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Frank S
If you like Scorsese you may be disappointed as he had nothing to do with the Godfather films! But these films (especially Godfather 1 & 2) are must sees! Godfather 3 was a pretty good film in itself but it had to compete against it's prequels (which was next to impossible to live up to) thus making people give it a worse reveiw of it then it really deserved.

I agree with you that #3, while not as good as the first two is underrated; I would say seriously underrated by people calling it such things a "a throwaway". If Winona Ryder had not gotten sick and been replaced by Sofia Coppola, it would not have had that obvious flaw. (What were you thinking, Francis? You could have replaced Winona with any number of competent young actresses.)

The story was strong, the cast was otherwise excellent. The finale sequence was the best of the three films (the whole opera part, not what came after). All in all worth 3 1/2 stars (out of 4) compared to 4 stars for the other two.

I hope that in addition to eventually releasing the three films as a set, they also will release them in the "Godfather Trilogy" edition which rearranged the first two in chronological order and added much additional material. Coppola himself prefers that constuction. I have both sets on laserdisc (although the "Trilogy" set was only released full screen). I would buy both on DVD.
Old 04-10-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That initial post has to be a joke, right? That sig listing Fifteen Minutes, Flawless, and Awakenings as movies that make DeNiro great (why not throw in Stanley & Iris and Rock & Bullwinkle) and then the post about "what is godfather about?" and "it seems kinda dull." That's gotta be a joke.
Old 04-10-01, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by buskerdog
That initial post has to be a joke, right? That sig listing Fifteen Minutes, Flawless, and Awakenings as movies that make DeNiro great (why not throw in Stanley & Iris and Rock & Bullwinkle) and then the post about "what is godfather about?" and "it seems kinda dull." That's gotta be a joke.
Hasn't even seen Godfather II, yet it is on his sig list?!?
Old 04-13-01, 12:16 AM

Godfather Trilogy Review

I agree with Frank S. The Godfather lll is extremely entertaining and IMO is far from a bad movie. It's colorful, has a great soundtrack, and is like an old fashioned gangster film.
Old 04-15-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Godfather Trilogy Review

Originally posted by cwilli
I agree with Frank S. The Godfather lll is extremely entertaining and IMO is far from a bad movie. It's colorful, has a great soundtrack, and is like an old fashioned gangster film.
Plus it is actually the perfect finale for the Michael character. Pacino's work and the script in this regard is perfect. While not perfect, it is a film with some serious merits.
Old 04-15-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've actually seen all but 2 of those on my sig, and threw 'em in due to word of mouth!

Now that Mean Streets is on tonight, I'll watch that and Godfather 2 will be the only one left

I guess the movie would seem dull to you if you see segments of it (a few minute at a time) for the first time..

BTW: I thought his performances in Awakenings, Flawless and 15 Minutes were pretty good!
Old 04-15-01, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was mad about part 3 because not only was Sofia Coppola pretty bad in it, but where was Robert Duvall?!?

I know that they explained away his absence, but he should have been brought back anyway
Old 04-19-01, 09:36 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Godfather Trilogy is fantastic. Part 1 is one of my favorite films of all time...This film is PERFECT in every way. Part 2 is great but not as good as the first. Part 3 is my least favorite but it is still a good film. I have the 3 widescreen versions on video and can't wait till a DVD release.

wlj
Old 04-19-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Duvall was asked to be in part 3 but he wanted an ungodly amount of money so Coppola said "seeya."

In my opinion, by the way, 1 and 2 are pretty equally matched. I prefer 2 for the darker tone in Mike's character and the Cuba material.
Old 04-19-01, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by wlj
Part 1 is one of my favorite films of all time...This film is PERFECT in every way.
Looks like you need a visit to here