Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Impressions #2 - Wonder Boys + More

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Impressions #2 - Wonder Boys + More

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-01, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More impressions…

Sleeper

One of my favorite of the early Woody Allen films. I wasn’t expecting much from the image quality of this DVD and ended up being pleasantly surprised. Sure there’s a fair bit of grain, but overall it doesn’t look bad at all. Colors are really good and the image is quite sharp most of the time. Audio is pretty basic mono, but this isn’t the type of film that would benefit from an amped up mix in any case. Part slapstick, part social commentary, Sleeper is a classic comedy that’s worth checking out even if you don’t like later era Woody Allen.

Meet The Parents

An entertaining little dark comedy that serves as vehicle to pair Robert DeNiro and Ben Stiller. Both actors deliver largely deadpan performances and play off one another really well. However, I would liked to have seen Stiller let loose a little more as he does just before the credits. The sight gags seem a little tired and don’t hold up nearly as well as the exchanges between Stiller and DeNiro. In some ways, MTP reminded me of Neighbors with John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd (a movie I’d really like to see on DVD). The transfer here is quite good overall. Maybe it’s just my imagination, but sharpness seemed to improve after the layer change (which occurs early on). The image looked a bit on the soft side at first. In any case, no real complaints with the movie or the DVD. I’ll be keeping it around for subsequent viewings.

Dances With Wolves

Dances With Wolves was a relatively early DVD release, but you’d never know it from this disc. The transfer looks great even by today’s standards, the only real gripe being that flesh tones are too orange at times. Sharpness, detail and, especially, color are all excellent. The audio is right up there too. Add a full length commentary and you have a very worthy package indeed.

The Corruptor

If pressed to choose a favorite DVD studio, my vote would go to New Line. They have consistently produced top-notch releases from the early days of DVD, and the Corruptor is no exception. The image is razor sharp with striking color. The cinematography includes a surprising amount of color, and the intense, neon hues look spectacular on this DVD. The sound mix is almost as good as the video, with lots of punch during the action sequences and superb ambient effects the rest of the time. The Corruptor is the type of film, and DVD, that might easily be overlooked, but it’s become one of my "go-to" DVDs. If an action flick set in the Chinese underworld of NYC sounds like your cup of tea, then it’s a good bet you’ll like The Corruptor. If nothing else, you’ll be mighty impressed with the DVD.

Wonder Boys

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Wonder Boys and, to be honest, I didn’t lock into the relaxed rhythm of the film until partway through. Once I started to concentrate more on character than story, everything fell into place. The film has a comfortable look and feel that’s accented by fine performances from Michael Douglas, Tobey Macguire, Robert Downey Jr., and the always wonderful Frances McDormand. The soundtrack contributes with laid-back classics from the late 60’s and early 70’s. The film is awash in earth tones and they are nicely reproduced on DVD. The transfer is sharp and detailed, but don’t expect anything showy. Likewise, the audio does a good job of supporting the image, but doesn’t call attention to itself. With a couple of exceptions, even the soundtrack is set back in the mix a little compared to a film like Almost Famous where it was front and center. Speaking of which, I think Wonder Boys and Almost Famous complement one another really well. If you liked one, chances are pretty good that you’ll like the other. Another good point of reference might be Good Will Hunting.

Goldeneye

Probably my favorite of the Brosnan Bonds. This is my first viewing of this DVD since having gone widescreen. The image isn’t as clean or solid as the best transfers out there, but it looks pretty good in its own right. Some of the darker scenes look a little murkier than they could, and flesh tones are too intense at times. Those complaints aside, it’s a nice transfer overall. As might be expected, the 5.1 audio mix is active and powerful. Goldeneye fans will be very pleased with this DVD (which also includes plenty of extras).

Pete

Display Equipment

Mitsubishi WS-65907 Widescreen TV
Sony 9000ES Progressive Scan DVD
Ultralink Pro Component cables
Old 03-25-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pete A
More impressions…

Wonder Boys

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Wonder Boys and, to be honest, I didn’t lock into the relaxed rhythm of the film until partway through. Once I started to concentrate more on character than story, everything fell into place. The film has a comfortable look and feel that’s accented by fine performances from Michael Douglas, Tobey Macguire, Robert Downey Jr., and the always wonderful Frances McDormand. The soundtrack contributes with laid-back classics from the late 60’s and early 70’s. The film is awash in earth tones and they are nicely reproduced on DVD. The transfer is sharp and detailed, but don’t expect anything showy. Likewise, the audio does a good job of supporting the image, but doesn’t call attention to itself. With a couple of exceptions, even the soundtrack is set back in the mix a little compared to a film like Almost Famous where it was front and center. Speaking of which, I think Wonder Boys and Almost Famous complement one another really well. If you liked one, chances are pretty good that you’ll like the other. Another good point of reference might be Good Will Hunting.

As stated above.....fine performances....I liked your "relaxed rhythm" description. This film does move at a comfortable pace...I really did like the movie but will not keep it due to the overall story just does not have a whole lot of replay value for me!!!!

Now Remember The Titans was one hell of a movie which I just watched for the first time last night......another fine film added to the collection!!!!

Pete A.......

Any thoughts on Remember The Titans????
Old 03-25-01, 06:29 PM

djones6746,

Wonder Boys is a keeper for me. I agree about the story, but the characters will make it worth repeat viewings.

Haven't seen Remember The Titans... yet. I came close to picking it up the other day, but I was upset that the store didn't have Passage To India in stock yet, so I walked. Bottom line... Too many DVDs, too little money.

Pete
Old 03-26-01, 06:37 AM
Cool New Member

I rented Wonder Boys from Blockbuster and liked it a lot. I did notice at the beginning of the movie, the statement "Movie has been edited for content". Does anybody know what was changed from the theatrical release?
Old 03-26-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by murffee1
I rented Wonder Boys from Blockbuster and liked it a lot. I did notice at the beginning of the movie, the statement "Movie has been edited for content". Does anybody know what was changed from the theatrical release?
do a search on this one...there is a whole thread about it.