Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Rev. Wanted: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rev. Wanted: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-01, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anybody have this low-price release of a supposedly good war movie? how's the disc, how's the flick? thanks.
Old 03-23-01, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The DVD itself from what I remember is bare-bones to an extreme, I think there was a menu and that's about it. The movie is good enough and had an interesting plot. It seemed like it had everything going for it; great cast, decent enough script, etc. However it just didn't come together enough in the final product to put it in the same rank as; Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, Battle of Buldge, etc... I would rent it first before buying it sight unseen.
Old 03-26-01, 11:08 AM

I actually loved this movie... it dares to break many cliches about WWII, especially as far as the Germans are concerned. Steiner's group of commandos is a tragic collection of honorable men, all caught in the stupidity of war, in a mission that they physically loathe.

There are memorable quotes in the movie that will ring in your ears many years after (Steiner's acknowledgment that he's no longer controlling the events and Devlin's last letter to the girl are the first two that come to mind.)

A great movie for both Caine and Sutherland, a good small role for Duvall. The book was so successful, it prompted Jack Higgins to write a sequel, which was never put to screen.
Old 03-26-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I wrote a review sometime ago here: http://dvdreview.com/quickpeek/collect/278.shtml

To sum it up, the film itself is quite good but the widescreen transfer is misframed and the audio is rather subdued. Still, for $10 it's not a bad deal.
Old 03-26-01, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In case you haven't picked it up yet, check out bestbuy.com. They currently have it on sale for ~$9. At that price I'd say go ahead and buy it
Old 03-26-01, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree: For $10, it is not a bad deal. Don't pay more.
Old 03-27-01, 01:51 PM

thanks folks