DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Hard Eight

Old 01-01-01, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I need a review of Hard Eight. Is it better than House of Games? I really disliked House of Games

------------------
"Dean Keaton once told me I don't believe in God but I'm afraid of him,well I believe in God and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
Old 01-01-01, 07:17 AM
Banned

I can't review the dvd but the movie is terrific. Good story, great direction, and excellent performances(in particular Phillip Baker Hall).
Old 01-01-01, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The dvd is good. Has 2commentaries, deleted scenes, trailers, and test scenes. The movie is also excellent.
Old 01-01-01, 10:46 AM

This is one that gets played a lot in my collection. Its a very good DVD. I've had a few friends of mine say that its better than both Magnolia and Boogie Nights (P.T. Anderson's other films) Of course, not all of my friends feel that way. But its good.

It has a really nice cast, (including both Gywneth Paltrow and Samuel Jackson), a good story, and great cinematography.

Unfortunately, its a very overlooked film. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw the DVD. And although it is packed full of extras, the movie is non-anamorphic. This almost kept me from buying this one, but I'm glad that I decided to pick it up anyway.

I say go for it.

------------------
Charles Mingus is alive
and
Alice Coltrane is your mother.
Old 01-01-01, 11:46 AM

No, it's not better than House of Games. It's very much like Boogie Nights and Magnolia, but without the delusion of grandeur.
Old 01-01-01, 11:58 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by KoolSoulBrotha#1:
And although it is packed full of extras, the movie is non-anamorphic.
<HR>

Actually the DVD is anamorphic.

Another reason to pick it up.
Old 01-01-01, 01:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hard Eight is PTA's best film. It doesn't have the overbloated excesses of Magnolia and Boogie Nights, it manages to be a tight film which shows that with some restraint, PTA could be a great filmmaker.

------------------
"Sometimes I dream I'm in a musical...because in a musical nothing dreadful ever happens."
Old 01-01-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I have the French Region 2 PAL DVD-9, which is anamorphic 2.35:1, has DD 2.0 Surround sound (English, French, Spanish, German); subtitles in all those languages, plus Turkish, Hungarian & Czech; several extras: film trailer, one deleted scene ("The Kiss"), director's commentary, commentary by the film crew, scenes filmed at the Sundance Institute.

That said, if you (dvdnation) didn't like HOUSE OF GAMES (how could anyone not like that brilliant movie?!?...) you probably will like this one even less...

! !
Old 01-02-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess Iím the lone dissenting voice but Hard Eight is terrible - Sub-par wannabe David Mamet with a dreary set of performances from all concerned. Unless you believe PTA to be the second coming (as he himself obviously does) - Avoid.

BTW, yes I thought Magnolia was terrible also.