Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Yes Keys to Ascension

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-01, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a chance to preview the new Keys to Ascension dvd/video that hit the stores today. While I am not a big fan of writing long reviews I thought I would say something about it.
This concert was filmed during a three concert show in California in 1996. It features the classic lineup of Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Alan White and Rick Wakeman.

The video is better than I thought it would be. Its a bit gainy for a dvd, but nothing a little tv adjustment won't fix. There are two downsides, however. The concert is interrupted between each song with a title screen of the next song. Totally unnecessary. Also mostly un-needed are the extra video tricks. For those who never saw the original laserdisc of this show, there's a lot of superimposing of various camera angles and all sorts of other video stuff, along the lines of 9012Live. I don't mind the camera fades, but the extra stuff doesn't work as well as it did on 9012Live.

Audio, once again, is better than I heard it would be. I generally am not a fan of 5.1 digital audio, but this show has a nice ambient sound to the surrounds. Usually I end up turning down the surrounds because of too much crowd noise in them. Its also a bit bright in the high end, but has a generally pleasing sound. This is now the ninth Yes/Yes related dvd I own, and its second in quality to HOB.

If your a fan, or ever was a fan of Yes, I recommend it highly.