Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Laurel & Hardy//Buster Keaton

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Laurel & Hardy//Buster Keaton

Old 01-01-01, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is a good place to start to sample films by these greats? I have seen a L&H in stores but it looks very cheap and borderline legit. As for Buster i have no idea whatsoever.

[This message has been edited by Beatlebob (edited January 01, 2001).]
Old 01-01-01, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The General is probably Keaton's most well-known film and the only one that I own but it's also probably a good logical place to start. The DVD is pretty good, has a couple of short films included as well. If you're interested in Keaton you can't go wrong with this DVD...look up the glowing reviews on the IMDB.
Old 01-01-01, 08:41 PM
Cool New Member

The Lost Films of Laurel and Hardy series are pretty good. You get five or so shorts on a disc. Most prints are at the very least watchable and some are in pristine condition. A classic is "The Battle of the Century". It is still missing a few minutes of footage but you can choose to fill in the gaps with by viewing the script. For Keaton, my favorite is "Sherlock, jr.". The print is in very good shape. It also includes a couple of shorts. "Our Hospitality" and "Steamboat Bill, jr." are, I think, two of the best comedies ever made.
Old 01-02-01, 05:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

If you are looking to laugh, IMO "Our Hospitality" and "Sherlock Jr" are funnier than "The General". "The General" is hilarious, but its brilliance comes from its craft...