Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Shooting & Ride the Whirlwind SE and VCI?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Shooting & Ride the Whirlwind SE and VCI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-00, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was wondering if anyone was familar with these westerns starring a young Jack Nicholson?

Or with the company that is putting them out,
VCI Home Video? I have been to their web site but dont have any of their titles to judge them by. The 2 titles I'am intrested in are listed as Widescreen 16*9 and specials editions with a retail price of 29.99 and a release date 10/10, I think.
Old 09-24-00, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ernestrp,

First the movies. These two movies have a lot in common. The cast is almost the same for both. Even though there is two years difference between the release date of the two movies, I have read that they were actualy shot one after the other. They are not the typical westerns. They are Jack Nicholson style westerns. As a Jack Nicholson and a western fan, I find the combination interesting. I have had The Shooting on LD for years. I am looking forward to both on DVD.

I have several VCI DVDs. My experience with VCI does not lead me to any great expectations. The video and sound quality on VCI titles I've seen so far are mid level at best.

Mike
Old 09-24-00, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Shooting & Ride in the Whirlwind are both great existential westerns. Jack Nicholson is in both films. Harry Dean Stanton is also in Ride in the Whirlwind & Warren Oates is in The Shooting. I highly recommend both films.

Monte Hellman directed both films & they were filmed back to back over a 6 week period in, I believe, 1967.

Both of the VCI DVDs are $29.99 because they also include a commentary track with director Monte Hellman, who also directed Two Lane Blacktop.

------------------
Tony Block

[This message has been edited by Tony Block (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-24-00, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for thr replys. I think I will hold off pre-ordering them, though. I was looking at some recent releases from VCI at on-line places and some still say on-order.

800.com was the cheapest place I found for both titles at around 16.99 or so, each. They usually keep the prices the same for awhile after they get them in-stock. Whenever that might be.
Old 11-15-00, 06:44 PM

Took a chance and ordered both and I wasn't disappointed. Great transfer on both of these plus an engrossing commentaries with Monte Hellman and Millie Perkins. These are right up there with the great westerns.