DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

MI2 DVD is A O K

Old 11-04-00, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Besides the film itself the best part of the dvd is called MISSION IMPROBABLE taken from the 2000 MTV MOVIE AWARDS. It's a short starring Ben Stiller as Tom Cruise's stunt double and it's really funny. The menus are cool and the extras are awesome. There's a Behind the scenes deal,Music video by Metallica and a breakdown of some of the action scenes. I haven't listened to the commentary yet(It' by John Woo)

------------------
Everytime Katherine revs up the microwave I piss my pants and forget who I am for half an hour.
Old 11-04-00, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My copy arrived today!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-04-00, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by EvilDeadAsh:
Besides the film itself the best part of the dvd is called MISSION IMPROBABLE taken from the 2000 MTV MOVIE AWARDS. It's a short starring Ben Stiller as Tom Cruise's stunt double and it's really funny. The menus are cool and the extras are awesome. There's a Behind the scenes deal,Music video by Metallica and a breakdown of some of the action scenes. I haven't listened to the commentary yet(It' by John Woo)

Yeah, the extras and menus are very cool. There seems to be some grain in the picture though - The blue sky during the opening rock climbing scene. Don't know if it was originally there or introduced by the digital transfer, though.
Old 11-04-00, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ipkevin I noticed a bit of the grainyness also, I thought it was my T.V.. Guess not.
Old 11-04-00, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great DVD with some great extras and great menus. What I don't get, is the lack of a trailer. It seems like less and less movies nowadays are coming with trailers...ones that includes commentaries and such. Just seeems strange to me.
Old 11-04-00, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished viewing MI2.....it was good but not as good as the first!!! I will check out the extras tomorrow.

The girl in here is hot!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-06-00, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got mine yesterday, and there are indeed no trailers! What the bloody hell is wrong with this world? I think it's inexcusable to not include any trailers on a DVD. Good thing the movie is so damn cool. But I'm still angry - I always watch the trailers before watching the movie, no matter how many times I've seen it.
Old 11-06-00, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with djones, the first one is much better than this one.
Old 11-06-00, 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by naitram:
Got mine yesterday, and there are indeed no trailers! What the bloody hell is wrong with this world? I think it's inexcusable to not include any trailers on a DVD. Good thing the movie is so damn cool. But I'm still angry - I always watch the trailers before watching the movie, no matter how many times I've seen it.

That pisses me off too. Paramount did the same thing with Rules of Engagement.

Old 11-06-00, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that I've spent a bit more time with it, I have to add: The Impossible Stunts feature is brilliant! It's a bunch of short documentaries on the major stunts and shots in the film. OMFG, that knife to the eye shot was real!! No CG!

The only thing I felt they should've added (besides the aforementioned trailer) was a documentary on how Woo designs, directs, and generally puts together his action scenes. Maybe some on-set footage and what not. That would have been interesting. I guess the commentary somewhat fulfils that role, but not completely.
Old 11-07-00, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Count me as impressed with the bonus material for this DVD too. And I now have more respect for Tom Cruise as a stunt man.

And no, I'm not bothered by the lack of a trailer, since way too many time to count.

The sound mix was okay, not overly bombastic. I thought the video was pretty good too.

If you like action movies, this ranks as a purchase.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 11-07-00, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched some, thought I'd say:

The video is marvelous (watched anamorphic enhanced). Probably the best I've seen yet, next to Sleepy Hollow. Absolutely clear as a bell, very deep blacks and vivid color. Amazing. The sound, unfortunately, is a little "thin" in the main channels. It almost seems that they took too much bass out of the mains and put it all in the LFE, so it's a little too rumbly. But the surround effects are great. Of course I've been watching a lot of dts titles lately, so I'm spoiled.

Edited to say I agree with Patman. It does sound good, just not overly fantastic. Didn't want to sound like a troll.

Just my thoughts, take them for whatever you want.

------------------
"My mommy said there were no monsters, no real ones...but there are."

[This message has been edited by naitram (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old 11-07-00, 11:11 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The movie is awesome and the dvd is awesome. The video and sound are top notch. The movie is also packed with some pretty good extras, you will definitely have a new respect for Tom Cruise after watching these extras. Go buy it now!!!

wlj http://connect.to/lavelle my dvd page
Old 11-07-00, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I watched this last night. IMO this movie sucks.
Old 11-07-00, 01:06 PM

damn_skippy, I must agree.. Sooooo many great DVDs and there was this ... glad I didn't even think about buying this one.
Old 11-07-00, 03:02 PM

Thinking about renting this. So, is the first one a lot better. I thought the first one was OK, nothing special.
Old 11-07-00, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoyed the first film and was looking forward to MI2 since I missed it in the theaters. Now, I can usually find something to appreciate about most any film and one look at my DVD list will inform you that my taste in film's isn't exactly high-brow. That being said, I rank MI2 as the worst movie I've seen this year. I could find absolutely nothing about it that was even remotely original or engaging. Every cheesy action movie cliche was in there and John Woo's direction was almost a parody of his own style. Now, I fully expect to get flamed for this but I thought it only fair to mention that not everyone is giving this DVD high marks.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 11-09-00, 10:39 AM
wlj

i just don't understand why people don't like this movie? Sure the story isn't deep, but the action makes up for it. I just have alot of fun watching this movie.Maybe i can understand why some people didn't like it...I hated American Beauty and everyone has given such high marks for it, so I guess it is about the same situation.

wlj http://connect.to/lavelle my dvd page
Old 11-09-00, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by wlj:
i just don't understand why people don't like this movie? Sure the story isn't deep, but the action makes up for it. I just have alot of fun watching this movie.

Yeah, really. The dialogue scenes go down easy and there is a 10-minute segment of the movie that is easily among the best action scenes ever commmitted to film. I'm speaking of the motor cycle chase of course. Amazing stuff. I've seen people in other threads say it's a rip off - From where?! I'll go buy the DVD right away cuz it's gotta be great.

Bottomline, at least rent it you like action flicks but are wary of buying sight unseen. I hate those morons who read like one 5 sentence post and go "Thanks! I guess I won't even bother renting this then!".
Old 11-09-00, 01:17 PM

I bought it Tuesday. It could have been alot better. Cruise kept John Woo from making the movie the way it should be. If Cruise would have checked his ego at the door, and not wanted an all Tom movie, it could have been great. I thought it sucked as is. The extras are very cool. With the exception of the Metallica video. These guys are has beens, and need to go to rocker old folks home. ****ing sellouts. If I had read the box, and known these guys were a part of it, I'd never dropped the $15
Old 11-10-00, 04:13 AM

I enjoyed the movie, but I still don't think they should have used the mask trick to the extent they did. This movie played it out.
John Woo doesn't let the viewer do much thinking which is what the Mission Impossible series is all about. No suspense, all action.....maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 11-12-00, 03:10 AM

Rotten, I couldn't agree more with you about the Metallica part. If I had know they were involved with the DVD in any way, I would have saved my money. I know it sounds weird, but I hate putting money in their pockets in any way.

They just pissed me off way too much with the whole Napster thing. These bad boys of hard rock with their groupies and the doing drugs and drinking hard in the old days. Now they tell me I am breaking the law by downloading their music and I am a criminal? Whoa, where did their edge go? I refused to give any more money to them after they got all high and mighty and artistic.

As for the DVD, I love it. Best DVD I have bought in the last couple of months. I find the first half a bit boring, but the second half more than makes up for it. The extras kick some serious a** too. All around great DVD.....except for that damn Metallica video. If only I could find a way to get that off there.

------------------
"He sold out! They're all the same! Promises, Promises! You elect them and they weasel out of their promises." - Sally Brown in "You're Elected Charlie Brown."
Old 11-12-00, 02:26 PM
Banned

Well, I bought this DVD sight unseen and must add my two cents. The plot of this movie is a lot less complicated than the first installment, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, this felt more like a James Bond film than anything else. The stunts, I must say, were incredible, and the ending motorcycle chase and hand fight were absolutely mindblowing. Aside from some stitled dialogue and overacted scenes ("Just stay alive! I'm not going to lose you!" - atta way to tame that ****, Tommy Boy), the film was very enjoyable, and despite its predictability, even fairly suspenseful. The picture and sound are both great, as are the extras. This disc gets an A- in my book.
Old 11-12-00, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was a pretty cool action flick but still a little disappointing to me...not sure exactly what else I expected but it's just not as exciting as it could have been.

Actually I watched the first one and M:I2 back to back last night......interestingly, even though the plot is confusing to say the least, I found myself enjoying MI more. DePalma's staged suspense scenes are awesome and for some reason I like the helicopter scene more than any of the action scenes in M:I2. The sound on the first MI is great too! The non-enhanced transfer is pretty lacking though.

M:I2 has a great transfer! As far as the audio I thought it was good but not great. The bass was just a little overdone IMO...I ended up setting my LFE pad to -10 about halfway through, and it was still loud....didn't want to risk overdriving my sub.

That short sketch with Ben Stiller is hilarious. The stunt features are pretty cool but they got a little tiresome to me after a while....seemed like mostly what they were doing is patting TC on the back for his good stunt work instead of actually showing you much about the way the stunts were performed.

I agree about the Metallica has beens....didn't care for that song very much....although the video has some cool visual ideas.

Overall the DVD is quite a bit of fun and definitely a keeper for me

[This message has been edited by Wolfchild (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old 11-13-00, 01:37 AM

I too thought the original was too complicared for it's own good. It felt more like a drama in a action/thriller disguise. It was not a good representation of the original series. The sequel was more of a pure action/thriller movie and a better representation of the original series. I fell asleep during the first one when I went to see it in the theater. The sequel on the other hand I found pretty engrossing, and although it's neither the best action movie or John Woo's best movie by any means, it's still a great flick. Unlike the sequel I have no desire to see the first one again. I rented the VHS a while back to see what I had missed and my impression of it as a film did not improve.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.