DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Car DVD and a little on Phantasm DVD

Old 09-28-00, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rented The Car on DVD the other night... I hadn't seen it before. It was awesome. It has sort of a cult following, and I can see why. It was filmed beautifully and had great character development and yet it was about a demonic car that kills people. Better than Christine. It was kinda like Jaws meets Christine meets Tremors. Fun movie... for sure worth renting and possibly worth buying... repeat viewings are possible. The transfer and sound were great "bwaaap bwa bwa bwaaaap"... a few skimpy extras, but still a nice DVD.

I bought Phantasm and it had tons of extras but I found most of them to be worthless. The movie itself is what it is... the best part in the whole movie to me used to be the shiny ball thing chasing after you... now the best thing in the movie is when the older brother talks about the retarded kid timmy across the street... everyone in the room yelled "Timmy!" in unison. South Park gave me a better appreciation for this film.

Also saw Supernova (rented) and realized that it could've been so much better. I saw it in the theatre and remembered thinking "what a garbage movie - it looks like they cut a bunch of crap out of this"... well they did... tons of deleted goodness that actually is worth looking at. They cut lots of scenes to change the movie because it didn't screen well with audiences. I thought the stuff they took out was good and should've been left in. I won't go into detail - but if you hated it in theatres - it's still worth a rental to check out the deleted scenes and to see it again just to understand what they were initially trying to do. Hollywood burocracy can destroy visions.
Old 09-28-00, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey trigger, can you believe that Sam's Club shrinkwrapped the individual The Car and Two Lane Blacktop discs into one package for only $20?! Glad I picked that baby up ... too bad I missed out on the Towering Inferno / Earthquake double deal for the same price.
Old 09-28-00, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both movies are cult classics....I have Phantasm but still need to obtain a copy of The Car. The Car is even older then Phantasm....help me out here...I believe Phantasm was released in 1979 and The Car in 1973???? Not sure about The Car's release date but I believe it was around 1973.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-29-00, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Car was 1977
Phantasm was indeed 1979
Star Wars was 1977 also
Star Wars was started on first, Phantasm was started on second and The Car was started on third as far as I know... They had begun working on Phantasm before Star Wars was out - that's why Phantasm has Jawas in it. hehe... well I could be wrong on all this, but it's just what I've been able to piece together from bits of information here and there.
Old 09-29-00, 11:56 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

*** possible spoiler regarding opening scene of movie ***

I have an interesting "The Car" story. If you don't want to be bothered, you might as well leave the thread:

My family had rented a camper and we went cross country in 1976 (wow what a patriotic thing to do in the bicentennial year). Anyway, we were driving through Utah (I believe) and as we were approching this one bridge there was a ton of stopped traffic. Well, it turned out that they were getting ready to film the opening scene of the movie where the cyclist(?) was forced off the bridge by the car. We pulled off and waited. This was about 10am. We waited and waited, and it turned out they decided not to film that day since there was too much wind at it would have made the stunt too risky.

Anyway, I got to see James Brolin (from a distance) and also got a peek at the car. Too bad we didn't get to see the jump. If I am not mistaken, I think at the time it was the highest free-fall stunt jump of its kind.
Old 09-29-00, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty Cool....that would have been neat to see!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife