DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese

Old 09-17-00, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched all three segments of this doco yesterday and I have to say it is really wonderful. Scorsese admits early on that it is not an objective piece and his passion for his favorite films is infectious. He mentions all the film that he has extolled endlessly in lectures (one of which I was lucky enough to attend), books, and essays, films like Johnny Guitar and The Robe, but he also spends time on striking clips from forgotten films like The Fenix City Story and Murder by Contract. After seeing these clips you will be dying to seek out these films. The way he discusses Griffith's Broken Blossom, or Sirk's All That Heaven Allows really brings them to life. Plus his explanation of concepts like vertical integration and the production code will be really valuable to the uninitiated.

A fun side effect is the spotting of grizzled directors wearing eye-pathes (Fritz Lang wears and eye paths AND a monacle!)

The only drawbacks are interminable credits (possibly Saul Bass' worst, mushiest work ever accompanied by horrendous music) and a sequence wherefaded hacks Lucas, Coppola, and DePalma extol the virtues of digital filmmaking over clips from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (what's that garbage doing here?), but overall it is a really rewarding production.

------------------
My DVDs
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 09-18-00, 11:06 PM

I thought the music at times sounded a bit like elevator music, but otherwise the program itself is nothing short of outstanding.