Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Please Review AmityVille

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-00, 03:33 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Just read the book, movie any good? DVD?
Old 09-13-00, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie is excellent!!! I still have not had a chance to watch my dvd that I received last week but I will be viewing this very soon!!! Definitely a must see.....my opinion is it was a must buy for me!!!!
Old 09-13-00, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been long proven that the original book was cobbled together by the author from sessions where the owners of the house and some friends sat around making up these silly stories and, of course, they made a lot of money from the whole thing. Even if a good film had been made from this (and I do not think it was very good), it would still have made me sick, knowing the true story. It's the same as with that Travis Walton movie or Whitley Strieber's Communion. I can accept fantasy fiction (in fact, I often love it) but not these frauds.
Old 09-13-00, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Are you positive it is all BS? I have heard from other it is, but from others its true...
Old 09-13-00, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm really sure. I read quite a bit about this many years ago. Probably the best place to find information would be in the relevant back issues of The Skeptical Inquirer. Their web site is www.csicop.org.

I did kind of go off. If you've seen my month and a half of posts on dvdtalk, you'd say this is uncharacteristic. This just pushed one of my buttons.
Old 09-14-00, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gizmo....watch the movie...you will enjoy it!!!!

movielib....this is a movie like many others you and I watch on a weekly basis!!! I am not worried about fact and fiction when viewing a movie. I am tired of people telling others that.....this movie or that movie is unrealistic...it couldn't have happened!!! Movies are for entertainment...I do not watch movies for the sole purpose of picking it apart for what is not reality!!!! No movie is reality.

Watch the movie Gizmo and decide for yourself!!!!!

Old 09-14-00, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not whether the film is "realistic." Of course it's not. Neither are many movies that I love. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, fantasy and horror.

In fact, I have a running argument with a friend who doesn't like any movie if "it can't happen on his block." I always say he has no imagination. It's just that this film is based on a book called The Amityville Horror: A True Story. It actually claims to be true and it was merely a hoax and a poor one at that.

Besides, I really do think the film is pretty bad. One and a half stars out of four.

This message has been edited by movielib on September 13, 2000 at 11:43 PM
Old 09-14-00, 02:36 AM
Suspended

Please tell me you beleive in ghosts. When I moved in my house, it was haunted by Poltergiest's. I am serious. I had strange dreams of these human type things all the time. We had things falling off shelves, my pillow in the middle of the room, in the air, and other weird things like people yelling to us inside the house when nobody was home. I seemed to get most of the attention from these ba*tards. Anyway, we brought in a priest, and he blessed every room closet, shower ect. Things were good from then on... Just a little tidbit from GizmoDVD...
Old 09-14-00, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by GizmoDVD:
Please tell me you beleive in ghosts. When I moved in my house, it was haunted by Poltergiest's. I am serious. I had strange dreams of these human type things all the time. We had things falling off shelves, my pillow in the middle of the room, in the air, and other weird things like people yelling to us inside the house when nobody was home. I seemed to get most of the attention from these ba*tards. Anyway, we brought in a priest, and he blessed every room closet, shower ect. Things were good from then on... Just a little tidbit from GizmoDVD...<HR>

"Do you see dead people?"
Old 09-14-00, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw the real house manny years ago so i know thats real.

tommy
Old 09-14-00, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a Simpsons fan so I was familiar with their Halloween special spoof they did of it, but I had never seen the movie. So I got the DVD and got a big kick out of it for that reason alone.