Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: "Harold And Maude"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: "Harold And Maude"

Old 06-26-00, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that the official release date is tomorrow, but those who pre-ordered it may already have it by now. I've already seen the film, I'm just looking for a review of the transfer and extras (if any).

Thanks....

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 06-26-00, 10:25 PM

Just recieved it. Only extras are two trailors. Pretty cool, for trailors. Nothing else, really. Widescreen, subtitles, 5.1 suround, french mono, scene selection...standard. Sound is good, though. If you want to blast Cat Stevens... Transfer seems good, but I'm no expert. Hope this layman has helped.
Old 06-26-00, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks W-Mans. I'll probably pick this up tomorrow....if the B&Ms are carrying it, that is.

jim
Old 06-27-00, 01:09 PM

The transfer is uneven in some places. There is some shifting in the background in the first cemetery scene. Also, in the 2nd trailer you will see Harold kissing Maude but this scene is not anywhere in the film itself. Does anyone know if this scene is in the VHS or Laser or was it originally cut from the film itself at release? Was this scene too much for seventies audience?
Old 06-27-00, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harold and Maude is one of my favorites and I loved the first trailer on the DVD (2nd was more traditional). I noticed 2 really striking things:

1. In the second trailer (I think), in a shot of Harold and Maude sitting on the pier at sunset, on the right the words "F*CK WAR" are spelled out in large pieces of wood and subsequently pulled apart by people. This was NOT in the movie but definitely fits the mood of the country at the time (71, I believe).

2. There's a quick clip of Harold asking "Where's my old lady?" to the camera. This also is not in the film but is very funny.

There are others I noticed (I've seen the movie WAY too many times). But these are the most interesting.

I believe trailers for movies are usually done before the final edits are made. I've noticed this in a number of movies that there are scenes that aren't in the movies but are in the trailer.
Old 06-29-00, 07:25 PM

You can read a full review here.

One of my all time favorites, too.

------------------
Bob, editor
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
Old 06-29-00, 08:45 PM

this is one of my all time fav. movies.....the dvd release makes me happy and sad...the audio on the dvd is excellent, the film souce used for the video is an embarresment. no tone single frame of the movie is free of a scratch. which is sad, plus all the extras that are around for this film including deleted sceens, interviews and ect ect, this dvd is only a must have if your a complete fan of the film.
Old 06-29-00, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the sound was adequate, but the 5.1 sounded like mono to me. No rear sounds & I didn't notice anything front left or right. I thought the video quality was pretty good for the age of the film. I watched it on a 65" Toshiba HDTV with a progressive-scan player & the large screen will usually amplify any picture problems & I thought it looked pretty good. No pixelation & pretty sharp. I also noticed in the trailers that mostly all of the shots in the trailer were different from the shots in the movie- closeups in trailer, but not in movie(in trailer- closeup on mother filling out dating form, in movie focus is on Harold & she's in background). There were many shots that were different- when the guy pulls the cord on his shirt to salute in the trailer he looks like he's starting to laugh, but not in the movie. Maybe the trailers were thrown together using rough footage before the film was complete?